• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
would likely be happier with video games or board games.
Kind of a tangent, but...

For years, I've overheard folks here and on Reddit talking about how they can make their game run more and more like whatever popular video game.

It started with people wanting things to "be more like Diablo II" in the early 2000s, with feat trees and magic item sets. Then Everquest, was all the rage, then World of Warcraft, as the rules got more complicated and rulebooks approached 500+ pages. There was a hard shift to simplify and "make it play more like Skyrim" in the early 2010s, with its classless system and scaling difficulty. Now I'm seeing lots of "how it works in BG3" comments in certain threads and subreddits--more Bonus actions, ranged healing potions.

And...well, look at my avatar. I'm not exactly neutral when it comes to mixing my video game peas with my TTRPG carrots. I think it's a good thing. Get inspiration wherever you can get it, right?

Last edited:

This is from a local place and made me chuckle so i felt everyone else should get a chuckle too
441409646_918984440239146_665721327251494902_n.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Kind of a tangent, but...

For years, I've overheard folks here and on Reddit talking about how they can make their game run more and more like whatever popular video game.

It started with people wanting things to "be more like Diablo II" in the early 2000s, with feat trees and magic item sets. Then Everquest, was all the rage, then World of Warcraft, as the rules got more complicated and rulebooks approached 500+ pages. There was a hard shift to simplify and "make it play more like Skyrim" in the early 2010s, with its classless system and scaling difficulty. Now I'm seeing lots of "how it works in BG3" comments in certain threads and subreddits--more Bonus actions, ranged healing potions.

And...well, look at my avatar. I'm not exactly neutral when it comes to mixing my video game peas with my TTRPG carrots.
Well, video games are more popular that tabletop RPGs. The wildly inflated and no source info for total number of D&D players ever is said to be 50 million…across the entire history of the game. According to some estimates, BG3 did more than half that (~27 million+) since launch…in August 2023.

And that can work great, if you’re talking about playing in the world or a few tweaks to existing systems to make them more like those games. The trouble is when you want to port in the mechanics whole cloth and run at the table. Video game mechanics ballooned with processing power and memory. People can't run those systems without a computer in anything like a reasonable timeframe. Hell, with a game as “simple” as D&D 5E it still takes an hour or more to run a combat that is supposed to take 12-18 seconds. Imagine using an even more detailed and crunchy system.

But yeah, I’m the same. I want Final Fantasy the RPG, Dragon Quest the RPG, WoW the RPG, etc. I just want them as rules-light games, not a handheld computer that’s sold separately to run the mechanics for me.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

And...well, look at my avatar. I'm not exactly neutral when it comes to mixing my video game peas with my TTRPG carrots. I think it's a good thing. Get inspiration wherever you can get it, right?
I have multiple Shadowdark dungeons I'm working on that are 100% me adapting video games I like. If I do it right, it won't always be obvious and, more importantly, it'll be fun even if you do realize that you're running around inside Diablo 1 -- because Diablo 1 is an awesome template for a dangerous dungeon crawl.

The referee being able to change the rules and make rulings is one of…if not the single most defining feature of tabletop RPGs. If players think it’s a bug, they’re playing the wrong games and would likely be happier with video games or board games.
Remind me, when has common sense factored into why people play games they actively dislike? :)

Remove ads