• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can write a novella for a backstory if you like, but it doesn't mean squat until you actually play the character at the table. Your group will remember your in-game actions not your creative writing exercise, no matter how heartfelt it may be.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Uhhh...
qkj9xi83rjh91.png
Bad attitude to have if you are trying to convince fans to buy AD&D, instead of the older rules where you have to share profits with Arneson.

TSR Gary was a very different Gary than the wargaming community organizer Gary and the aging, mellowed-out Gary.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Agreed. He had written quite positively to Lee Gold in Alarums & Excursions early on, and then after the success of D&D, he wrote to the APAzine threatening them with legal action for their D&D/AD&D coverage of houserules. I suspect as time went by he decided "his" version of the game (the one he was running at home) was the correct one and others were "playing it wrong" -- a very common attitude among gamers at the time. Heck, Ron Edwards basically says those same things when he talks about the games people play: "you're playing it wrong," "you don't know what good gaming is," "stop having fun with things I don't like!" (Okay, I made that last one up.) This is one of the reasons all of the new classes in Dragon were "NPC classes" -- if they're meant only for the NPCs, then there's no impact to the player-facing side since only the DM will ever need to know the specifics of abilities.
But his home game was not run RAW. There are many posts by Gary here in ENworld and elsewhere, as well as stories shared by those who played in his games, that he ignored many rules, made things up on the spot, and otherwise did not run his home games following all the rules in AD&D.

My eyes are, however, sore from rolling over his comments on angels. He didn't have any problems publishing Deities & Demigods, which stated up gods that people in current real-world religions worshipped. I don't know the date he wrote his answer to the quote in screen-cap above. I know TSR later changed the name of Deities and Demigods to Legends and Lore to avoid upsetting religious people.

Then again, he's distanced himself from that book, emphasizing that he didn't write it and didn't use it in his games (TSR - Q&A with Gary Gygax). Seems like a bit like throwing Kuntz and Ward under the bus. And he was still running the show at the time. Who cares if he didn't write it. He greenlit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads