D&D 5E The imbalance of ASI levels in non-spellcasting classes

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Thanks. I've looked into 13th Age and I am not a fan of it at a glance. In a lot of ways it seems more complex, but perhaps I just haven't given it a fair shot? I should have some time this afternoon so I might give it another look.

13th age is pretty simple.

The dirty little secret is, these things do mediocre damage. At even mid levels, you should not be using them. Not even EB with buffing stuff on them. They should be a last resort, or for easy encounters. They just don't keep up, in any meaingful way, with even ordinary attacks from fighter-types at those levels.
They're not intended to "keep up" with fighter-type attacks. They're there to give a meaningful action when you've run out of spell slots, or don't want to.

For most builds, cantrips are still better than throwing darts or shooting a crossbow. :)

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Perhaps you're forgetting the damage-dealing cantrips like Firebolt and Eldritch Blast?
Perhaps you're forgetting the fact that a 1st-level fighter with two shortswords and the dual-weapon-fighting fighting style can deal an average (assuming a dex of 16) of 13 damage at will.

That seems like more than the average fire bolt.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Who said anything about major abilities?
You did, by mentioning the Monk's Slow Fall ability, and implying a fix to a problem that does not exist.

The average damage output of a 5th-level fighter over 10 rounds is more consistent than the damage output of a wizard, and fighters are harder to hit overall.

Your idea is a solution looking for a problem.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Perhaps you're forgetting the fact that a 1st-level fighter with two shortswords and the dual-weapon-fighting fighting style can deal an average (assuming a dex of 16) of 13 damage at will.

That seems like more than the average fire bolt.
At the opportunity cost of shield use plus a variety of other weapon and fighting style related stuff, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Remove ads