• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Legacy of the Fighter in 5 to 10 years

Tony Vargas

Legend
In 3e the Factorum had cunning surge, which allowed it to spend 3 inspiration points to take an extra standar action. That seems to be the common ancestor to 4e action points and 5e action surges.
Eberron Action Points are very different than 4e Action Points. Long story short; they add 1-6 to a d20 roll, not an extra action.
OK, so Action Surge (5e fighter) <- Action Points (4e) <- Cunning Surge (3e Factotum),
but Bardic Inspiration/Hero Points (5e) <- Action Points (3e Ebberon) <- Action Points (d20 Modern) <- Force Points (d20 SW).

I'm a little disappointed to tick off another thing I'd been thinking was a 5e innovation. :(

Which, to be sure, isn't a surprise considering the "Greatest Hits" type of edition 5e is.
That about sums it up.

Ashkelon

First Post
OK, so Action Surge (5e fighter) <- Action Points (4e) <- Cunning Surge (3e Factotum),
but Bardic Inspiration/Hero Points (5e) <- Action Points (3e Ebberon) <- Action Points (d20 Modern) <- Force Points (d20 SW).

I'm a little disappointed to tick off another thing I'd been thinking was a 5e innovation. :(

Late into 3e's life, they experimented with some amazingly innovative concepts. The martial adepts for example. Or the binder. Or the dragonflire adept. Or the warlock. Or the reserve feats. Or martial healing. Or luck feats. Or skill tricks. Or the Factorum. Or resources that recover each encounter. Or the truenamer.

I was sad to see 4e become less innovative as time went on. It was like watching 3e in reverse.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Action Surge and Second Wind are both sneaky hack stolen from past editions to give fighters extra attacks and more HP without making them crazy powerful or have overstep the tradition of other classes.

Indomitable as well.

Instead of getting crazy base stats, they get the same effects with cooldowns.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Late into 3e's life, they experimented with some amazingly innovative concepts. The martial adepts for example. Or the binder. Or the dragonflire adept. Or the warlock. Or the reserve feats. Or martial healing. Or luck feats. Or skill tricks. Or the Factorum. Or resources that recover each encounter. Or the truenamer.

I was sad to see 4e become less innovative as time went on. It was like watching 3e in reverse.

4e kind of died before they finished the "replication of the old" process.

Like when a couple breaks up before they got comfortable not hiding their individual quirks and hobbies.

Remove ads