• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Well, I like it. I find it easier to RP pbp than face to face since I started gaming as a writer not an RPer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Jago

Explorer
I actually did the very same, go figure. Waaay back when, although I still love In-Person, there's just something intrinsically awesome about it.

Anyway, I, too, am excited for a story and setting far more focusing on the characters, the world-building, and all the little Shandyisms that PbP is (I feel) much better for exploring. Once we get our last character, we will be up and running!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I started with X-Men cooperative writing games, then picked up Star Trek simms in Obsidian Fleet before ever playing a TTRPG after college. Then came here. Satisfies my writing itch and my dice itch.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
I find that in-person or voicechat online games tend to be far more about socializing with pals than about 'roleplaying' in most of the games I've played. That's not to say there's no roleplaying, but it's fairly rare to be really IN character as opposed to just narrating what one's character does.

In PBP and textchat that's not an issue; the emphasis is firmly on character interaction, and I enjoy it quite a bit for that reason. It's easier to present one's character as one's 'self' when your real self is invisible and inaudible, I find. :)

Jago

Explorer
I was a loooong time Star Wars RP writer, though there were a few sites and rooms earlier than that as well. Go figure that my first legitimate, at-a-table-with-dice game was like ... maaaybe 4, 5 years ago?

And it wasn't even "The World's Most Popular Roleplaying Game", it was freaking BESM

pathfinderq1

First Post
I started with tabletop, WAY back in the day, and I've done pretty reasonable amounts of Tabletop, PbP, and LARP- they each have their charms and peculiarities. But I've moved often enough over the years that I haven't had a solid TT group in some time, and my LARPs have aged out (or I've moved away), so I don't do much of that these days. PbP gives me a solid, regular outlet for gaming, and yes, I do prefer the focus on the story and interaction. My occasionally irregular schedule also makes PbP a better format, as a general rule.

And of course: Fewer Monty Python jokes in PbP than around the table, for one thing- at least in the IC threads.

Shayuri

First Post
*breaks in the door*

NOBODY EXPECTS THE MONTY PYTHON JOKES!!

Jago, I was in a BESM game on another site that lasted something like 5 years...though to be fair, some of that time was spent two or three slower periods as cast members shuffled and new recruiting was done.

It was still a lot of fun though. I found that giant anime-styled fight scenes are a LOAD of fun to write. There's literally no rules (aside from a few genre tropes that are campy enough to be fun). You can basically have whatever you want to happen, happen. The GM and I started just rolling the big fights quickly, with no narration beyond the simplest. Then when the fight's outcome was determined, I'd do this vast multi-page superpost that described it all.

I dunno if I'd want to do something like that again, because it took ages sometimes, but it's REALLY fun to read through the archives now. :)

Jago

Explorer
When I was trying to recruit for a Scott Pilgrim-style game, that was kinda my idea: I love that system just because it encourages you to look at the limit and then break the limit and then break whatever imposed the limit in the first place because there are no rules, deep down. Realizing that from a writing perspective, where you have the time to conceptualize and create, could lead to some awesome pieces of good, solid writing and RP.

The BESM game I was in, the very first, was sadly my longest running as well (I think just over a year or so; real life issues between players ended it pretty fast): we based the entire thing on an Anime, Air Gear, and just went wild with it. Great fun, still remember it fondly.

And now I'm getting all the more excited for a game like this, where we do get to explore character relationships and all the little, piddly details: time constraints kill my stories faster than a brick to the temple, and GMing in real life often makes me feel like I have to be as direct and simple as possible rather than being able to, so say, take an hour to just work with a player on their personal quest (without feeling like the other PCs are sidelined) or allow characters to roam free in a created city (which sadly often elicits the "I don't know what to do")

pathfinderq1

First Post
On another note, while I'm playing with concepts: Is the 'Monster Hunter' Fighter archetype available? It is from the same UA article as the Inquisitive rogue- the 'Gothic Heroes' one.

Jago

Explorer
I am going to give an Approval for the Monster Hunter: seems like just more of a streamlined Battle Master with a few unique features, I don't see anything inherently crazy about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads