D&D 5E The Lords of the Nine Hells of Baator

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
OK, so are do think we forget about the Hag Countess, or have her in for if you want to play in an older era, or bring her back in some way. IIRC, she wasn't a devil so therefor isn't destroyed by dying in Hell. So should could have had a contingency plan or something. If I were to include her I think that is the approach I would want to take. What do you thing?
I think we should bring her in, for completeness (I'm always a sucker for that), and also as you say for playing in the classic Planescape era, particularly as the entire layer looked considerably different prior to her death and transformation.

dave2008

Legend
I think we should bring her in, for completeness (I'm always a sucker for that), and also as you say for playing in the classic Planescape era, particularly as the entire layer looked considerably different prior to her death and transformation.
I'm not sure what you mean by completeness; however, I am fine with bringing her in. However, what is the story? How did she come back, what did come back as, where is she now. I can't imagine Glaysa is to happy with her being back in the mix.

dave2008

Legend
The hellfire project was in progress last time we checked, so I am supposing that it worked, but was co-opted by Asmodeus. Now Mephistopheles is conspiring against his boss Starscream style.
I guess I should clarify, I don't know what the hellfire project is. So, what is the hellfire project?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
OK, what makes her cool? No trying to snarky, I want you to sell me on the idea - inspire her stat block if you will.
Lol, I know nothing about her except she's a Countess of Hags. Hags are one of my favorite monster types, they are so varied, and they make great villains at all levels. They are wily, tricksy, clever - but they play by a certain twisted logic. so having a big bad evil uber-bad Hag seems like a no-brainer - but I had never even thought of it until I read "Hag Countess" today

dave2008

Legend
I found this on a FR Wiki. Seems like there was already a method to bring her back. I think I have the start of her story now.

"That was even if Malagard's transformation could be classified as a true death, since it was unclear if Asmodeus could simply kill the archdevils at a whim or merely change their forms.[17] From the rotting carcass of the Countess emerged the kalabon devils, living remnants of the hag with fragments of her broken mind. They were tortured beings whose mind-rending mental anguish left them as little more than pathetic tumors stuck between muttering and weeping in pain. Outside of their wish to kill everything around them, their singular compulsion was to merge together, forming colonies of cancerous flesh in an attempt to regenerate the Countess.[18] Each one wanted Glasya dead, enough so that they attacked anyone bearing the scent of her or her close associates and that the new Lord of the Sixth was regularly attacked by them, and it was only because of Glasya's commands that they hadn't achieved their primal desire for wholeness.[7][18]"

dave2008

Legend
I found this on a FR Wiki. Seems like there was already a method to bring her back. I think I have the start of her story now.

"That was even if Malagard's transformation could be classified as a true death, since it was unclear if Asmodeus could simply kill the archdevils at a whim or merely change their forms.[17] From the rotting carcass of the Countess emerged the kalabon devils, living remnants of the hag with fragments of her broken mind. They were tortured beings whose mind-rending mental anguish left them as little more than pathetic tumors stuck between muttering and weeping in pain. Outside of their wish to kill everything around them, their singular compulsion was to merge together, forming colonies of cancerous flesh in an attempt to regenerate the Countess.[18] Each one wanted Glasya dead, enough so that they attacked anyone bearing the scent of her or her close associates and that the new Lord of the Sixth was regularly attacked by them, and it was only because of Glasya's commands that they hadn't achieved their primal desire for wholeness.[7][18]"
@Micah Sweet, I would love to get your thoughts on my idea on how to bring Malagard back:
  • Enough kalabon devils have merged for Malagard to regain a portion of consciousness and power.
  • However, that powers is fractured and unstable
  • There are in fact 3 Malagard's as the kalabon aggregated in three separate bodies, each with a portion of Malagard's power.
  • The 3 "sisters" are searching for ritual or artifact to unite their minds and bodies and regain their full power.
  • The are normally searching / scheming separately for the ritual/artifact/etc.; however, when they come together they form a special coven. That, though not as powerful as she used to be, it gives the sisters access to greater power.
  • Previous to her destruction she didn't care much for infernal politics or want to challenge for the throne of Hell. However, she blames Asmodeus for he current state and wants to tear him done.
That is is so far. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I think each Malagard has a different idea how to restore her power:
  • Malagard believes she needs to find her missing greatsword (name?) and use to slay her sisters and drink their blood to regain her power.
  • Malagard believes she needs to recover he lost hearstone and...
  • Malagard believes...

Last edited:

OK, so are do think we forget about the Hag Countess, or have her in for if you want to play in an older era, or bring her back in some way. IIRC, she wasn't a devil so therefor isn't destroyed by dying in Hell. So should could have had a contingency plan or something. If I were to include her I think that is the approach I would want to take. What do you thing?
She didn't die though. She's still living, in a grotesque fashion, as the entire layer itself.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
@Micah Sweet, I would love to get your thoughts on my idea on how to bring Malagard back:
  • Enough kalabon devils have merged for Malagard to regain a portion of consciousness and power.
  • However, that powers is fractured and unstable
  • There are in fact 3 Malagard's as the kalabon aggregated in three separate bodies, each with a portion of Malagard's power.
  • The 3 "sisters" are searching for ritual or artifact to unite their minds and bodies and regain their full power.
  • The are normally searching / scheming separately for the ritual/artifact/etc.; however, when they come together they form a special coven. That, though not as powerful as she used to be, it gives the sisters access to greater power.
  • Previous to her destruction she didn't care much for infernal politics or want to challenge for the throne of Hell. However, she blames Asmodeus for he current state and wants to tear him done.
That is is so far. Any suggestions?
I like it. Maybe since they're looking to bring down Asmodeus, Mephistopheles could try to make an alliance with them. Also, I'm could see them each wanting to be in charge once they re-combine, which is hindering their efforts to complete the ritual.

Remove ads