The Mandalorian | Official Trailer | Disney+ | Streaming Nov. 12

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not sure you're fully comprhending my relationship with the EU.

Your life, don't care. Not going to insult you for your opinion.

The best if the old EU is up there with ESB. The worst if it makes TLJ look like ESB.

It still influences the new and no EU would mean no Disney Star Wars.

One would have thought they would have learned from the old EU. They didn't.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, that escalated quickly. If you don't care about my opinion, don't talk to me about it. Pretty simple.

Context if you don't like the old EU but if you're a Star Wars fan between say 25 and 55 you grew up with it.

Games like KoToR sold millions of copies and you could play a Mandalorian in it. Well have one in your party.

They also had Sabine Wren in Rebels and she is a Mandalorian as well. And she stole the show.

You were dismissing everything outside the movies and being aggressive about it.

Disney can do what they like but I think the main problem was they aimed it at kids, the fanbase isn't kids and you need them to take their kids to the new movies and theme parks.

You are aware they canceled the latest show aimed at kids and the theme parks not doing so well.

The Mandalorian is a lot grittier, people like Fett, Mandalorians and the old Knights of the Old Republic/Takes of the Jedi where they were heavily featured.

Do you think it was an accident Lucas added Jango Fett to AoTC all those years ago.

Fett, Sabine, Cancerous, Cassius. Saints if Mand'oa. Trekkies have Klingon you can learn Mandalorian lol.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ah Canderous. What a meatbag.

"And of course, they refer to meatbags as 'organics'. Unacceptable."
―HK-47

I've always been baffled by the popularity of Boba Fett. A nothing character with a couple of throwaway lines killed off for a quick laugh.

Why do people care?

Probably the same reason I like voiceless protagonists in RPG video games over fully voiced ones. I get to write their backstories in my head.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm in the middle of that age range, Zardnaar, grew up loving the original trilogy and playing with the action figures in the early 80s. I think I even saw all three movies in theaters when they came out, but am not sure about A New Hope as I was very young. But definitely Empire and Return. But I never read one EU book. Not one. I also never played any video games or watched the Clone Wars or anything other than the eight "episodes" and two anthology films.

I am just one person, but my guess is that the EU was read by only a small percentage of overall Star Wars fans, even if we consider only semi-serious fans. I think the issue some folks are having with your constant mention of it is that you speak of it like it is more central to the Star Wars oeuvre than it actually is, or at least is for 90% of fans.

I mean, EU is really nothing more than published fan fiction. Nothing wrong with that, but it shouldn't really be mentioned alongside canon and kind of muddies the waters a bit.

Last edited:

As someone who didn't see the Original trilogy till the 90s (which means the special editions) and didn't read the books till late 00s and only played the pod racer game,and episode one's computer game,along with the Lego games here's my take :

Whose IG-88? real answer from someone who has no clue other than movies: He's that droid that stood with the other bounty hunters on the bridge in ESB or one like him?

Oh cool,he's wearing armor like fett,why is he wearing armor like that? What's Mandolarin?

(yes, I know who IG 88 really is or was in the old stuff and all that stuff)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases