The Moral of the Story Is....Maybe there's such a thing as (D&D being) too big

The OGL forum sure has a lot of OGL threads in it though.

In all seriousness, I do find it interesting how all the OGL talk has squeezed out 6e talk. Maybe this will affect it's success.
We'll see. It depends on whether the incandescent rage flaring right now burns out completely as the news cycles turn. The next packet will probably catch heat, but is the smouldering resentment going to last through the one after that?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The OGL forum sure has a lot of OGL threads in it though.

In all seriousness, I do find it interesting how all the OGL talk has squeezed out 6e talk. Maybe this will affect it's success.
Can OGL talk survive and thrive for another 18 months? If it really wants to impact the eventual 2024 game, that's a big ask for people to maintain that level of anger.

Not saying it can't be done... but if/when the new OGL does come out and everyone resigns themselves to its release and then moves on... that's still probably a lot of time left on the docket for Crawford et. al. to quietly keep working and then releasing the books quite a ways after the furor had died down.

Success could still be impacted obviously... but might not be as much if everyone has given up giving a crap about the new OGL at that point.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If the CIA hadn't funded/instigated so many coups on foreign leaders and governments that tested out other economic systems since the Cold War, those economic systems would undoubtedly have better chances of "working".
I don't disagree, so it would taken longer to fail, without CIA interference. I don't just look at 20th century examples though, I look at political systems across time, and take that into account in any declaration I make about it.

Can OGL talk survive and thrive for another 18 months? If it really wants to impact the eventual 2024 game, that's a big ask for people to maintain that level of anger.
It doesn't need to.

People don't need to talk about something 24-7 to care about it.

People, especially RPG DMs, are incredibly good at bearing grudges and remembering slights. People stay mad about stuff that happened 20 or 30 years ago. You think they'll just bliss out and forget stuff that happened 18 months ago?

Also, you're not accounting for how fun and meme-y it will be to dunk on WotC when 1D&D is releasing. Loads of gaming mags (most videogame-oriented ones) will be bringing this up again in articles when 1D&D is near release. Nobody is going to "forget".

I don't disagree, so it would taken longer to fail, without CIA interference. I don't just look at 20th century examples though, I look at political systems across time, and take that into account in any declaration I make about it.
I mean, this is really a separate discussion, but let's be clear, democracy failed (or was limited in weird ways) countless times before it caught on, so counting a system out because it failed a bunch of times whilst living in a democracy (even ones as janky as ours), is obviously hilariously silly. It's sitting on 787 saying "MAN WILL NEVER FLY!" because, like until 1903, we didn't.

I'm sure 200 years from now people will be having a good laugh about social stuff we thought "would never work".

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Sure, geopolitics is complex and very imperfect, as every political and economic system - I'm no expert. But I'm confident that at least for now Capitalism is the form of economics that work best for me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases