The new, shiny "Stuff I Have/Would Ban" thread!

Turtlejay

First Post
slightly off the what's banned topic....just give him one. Sounds like a cool magic item for him to find from the really powerfull sorcerers of ages ago.

Yes!! Great idea. Homebrewing is generally off the menu for me, but when it comes to magic items I think approaches like this work well. Why not do it, if you really think it will fit your character. Kind of bland, but to each his own...

And on topic, just because something *can* be broken, doesn't mean it will. This was touched on upthread with the bit about lasting frost/wintertouched. Most of the banned rules are not overpowered unless used in specific ways. I'd agree mostly with the things like Iron Armbands of Power being banned, but only after having a player abuse it. A two weapon ranger gets perhaps too much mileage out of it, a Sword and Board fighter gets just the right amount.

Hybrids are silly to put on this list, there are hundreds of possibilities for hybrids (including multiclassing/hybrids) and a handful are cheese. The rest are just character options. I favor a case by case basis with things like this. Someone who wants to build a unique, fun character should not be penalized because you are afraid of a certain build.

Lastly, I have not seen anyone mention the two things that *should* be banned 100% of the time:
- Salves of power
- Half Elves taking Twin Strike as their racial power.

A good 50% of the garbage floating around out there using the stuff that you banned actually exploits these two things in uninteresting and powergamey ways. They are practically flavorless and certainly potential gamebusters.

Jay

Ryujin

Legend
slightly off the what's banned topic....just give him one. Sounds like a cool magic item for him to find from the really powerfull sorcerers of ages ago.

A Dragonshard Augment for a weapon that's used as an implement could fit the bill.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
The main thing I like about 4E is the focus on balance so that I, as a GM, don't have to deal with it and can get on with the game instead of slapping players hands for trying to do the natural thing of making their character better with options and synergy instead of waiting for XP. I also don't have to subject players to pages of exceptions and oddities house rules they need to go over any time they do anything, although thanks to the volumes of errata, that has been made unavoidable already. That said, Dragon material is right out, not everyone feels like paying an MMO subscription fee for it, and it's not worth it anyway, being the least balanced material they're putting out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That said, Dragon material is right out, not everyone feels like paying an MMO subscription fee for it, and it's not worth it anyway, being the least balanced material they're putting out.

I get the impression that most of the things people complain about being overpowering least balanced "must haves" are stuff that has indeed been printed people still talking about twin strike or magic items out of AV etc.

I find the subscription cost ok for a month every once in a while (you know I downloaded every back issue when subscribed for a month and that is a ton of gaming material). And character builder doesn't stop working.... just because you are no longer subscribed.

Istar

First Post
These two items would receive my vote; at the very least modified. Power (Daily) for the Grasping weapon and/or remove spear aspect and then include Power (Encounter) for the Badge.

The ability to negate anything between a party member and the BBEG becomes anti-climatic. Of course I don't DM so it is moot.

Whats over powered with the Badge ?

Istar

First Post
Yes!! Great idea. Homebrewing is generally off the menu for me, but when it comes to magic items I think approaches like this work well. Why not do it, if you really think it will fit your character. Kind of bland, but to each his own...

And on topic, just because something *can* be broken, doesn't mean it will. This was touched on upthread with the bit about lasting frost/wintertouched. Most of the banned rules are not overpowered unless used in specific ways. I'd agree mostly with the things like Iron Armbands of Power being banned, but only after having a player abuse it. A two weapon ranger gets perhaps too much mileage out of it, a Sword and Board fighter gets just the right amount.

Hybrids are silly to put on this list, there are hundreds of possibilities for hybrids (including multiclassing/hybrids) and a handful are cheese. The rest are just character options. I favor a case by case basis with things like this. Someone who wants to build a unique, fun character should not be penalized because you are afraid of a certain build.

Lastly, I have not seen anyone mention the two things that *should* be banned 100% of the time:
- Salves of power
- Half Elves taking Twin Strike as their racial power.

A good 50% of the garbage floating around out there using the stuff that you banned actually exploits these two things in uninteresting and powergamey ways. They are practically flavorless and certainly potential gamebusters.

Jay

Is a Half Elf Daggermaster Rogue with Twin Strike and 15 Wis to MC Avenger exploitation ????

Using Bloodiron and Crit Feats

At level 21 can oath up to 3 targets per Encounter, and use Strength (Brutal Scoundrel Dual Stat) Mellee dagger attack - 4 D20 Rolls - to get 48% chance to Crit.

Or flavour being a vengeful half elf who like to handle 2 sharp daggers well.

Jack99

Adventurer
Banning things isn't being a bad DM - it's being responsible. Less is more.

Making Dms out to be "bad" because they ban things is just this irritating player entitlement that rears its ugly head where WotC want to wrestle away control over campaigns from DMs to arrive at a position maximized for profit: "go ahead and buy all our books; if your DM doesn't like it, tell him or her we said it was okay!"

So threads like this is very useful - chances are if enough DMs ban an item, it suggests it really IS broken.
This is just none-sense. WotC does no such thing. Do they want to sell books, yes, indeed. Duh. But aside from that, they tell us often enough that we do not need to use or allow everything in our campaigns. They say we can - which is a big difference. Anyway, if you do not believe me, you should try reading their books. DMG2 amongst others specifically tells the DM that he doesn't need to use all their books.

Yeah, that style really bothers me.
Which style would that be? Releasing errata for the broken stuff they mistakenly make? You crack me up dude.

Zinovia

Explorer
A DM's Soliloquy

To ban, or not to ban: that is the question:
Whether 'tis fairer in the game to suffer
The salves and bloodclaws of outrageous items,
Or to say no against the cheese of combos,
And by opposing end them? To ban: to stop;
No more; the winter-touched and lasting frost
The fey charge and the stacking damage mods
CharOp is prone to, 'tis a resolution
Devoutly to be wish'd. To stop, to ban;
To ban: to deny a choice: ay, there's the rub;
For in that ban of feats what options lost?
When we have written off the players' choice,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes us friends with lasting games;
Yet who would bear the breaking of balance,
One striker dealing twice the DPR,
The pangs of natural envy when dice are rolled,
And damage stacked upon damage again,
Other players notice of the combos take,
Then he himself might iron armbands make
With enchant item? who would deny the right,
'Til every melee character looks the same,
Armed with bloodclaw, armbands, and Righteous Rage,
Each wizard Staff of Ruin bears offhand,
While undiscover'd countries they explore,
And makes us rather bear those goods we have
Than pick up others that may be subpar?
Thus charop does make lemmings of us all;
And thus the wealth of diverse options,
Is whittled down to those which are the best.
Yet in adventures of great plot and action
'Tis not the items or the feats that are recalled;
Nay, it is the actions of the heroes
And the stories told 'round the gaming table
That will long be remember'd.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases