• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The new warlock (Packet 7)

I will admit, "trap option" or no, I am sad to see Invocations like Eyes of the Rune Keeper just rolled into bog standard ritual casting.

I liked being able to have that kind of utility spell active on demand without needing the necessarily to dedicate a full ritual casting to it - especially EotRK, which was essentially active full time and entirely non-magical.
I think there was something of value lost there. Especially as the ritual takes ten minutes. That said I'd rather something that rolls up the three marginals (Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, and Beast Speech) into a single always on invocation
Agreed, but one subclass doing equivalent damage for 5 levels with cantrips that should be their specialty doesn't give me a ton of warm fuzzies.
Basically ten levels. They were already doing equivalent damage at levels 1-4 then lost out at the second beam but pulled back in with the extra d8
I'd rather just see Warlocks get a once-per-turn bonus damage to one target at levels 5, 11, and 17, roughly 1d8 per tier.
This would be a pretty savage nerf.

I'm hopeful they'll give ritual spells (especially the ones that add a capability like Speak with Animals and Comprehend Languages) the BG3 treatment for the release; they basically become at-will invocations by lasting until the next long rest, at the cost of a spell prepared/spell known slot.
I'm less concerned with how they're implemented mechanically and more with the loss of narrative flair. I have a warlock character concept whose backstory and "inciting incident" for making their pact is essentially sacrificing something of themselves in exchange for knowledge of runes and writing, Odin-style, which I'd planned to represent through Eyes of the Rune Keeper - their entire reason for the making the pact (or at least one major aspect of it) was to gain the ability to read anything at any time.

Now that ability is locked behind a spell cast. One which (cast time, components, duration, and/or spell slot aside) is more versatile than simply being able to read any writing, to be sure, since it also covers spoken language, but is far less narratively evocative.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This would be a pretty savage nerf.
It's roughly equivalent to current EB+AB. At 17+, EB+AB averages 42 (4d10+20), another cantrip (let's assume fire bolt) with AB and the scaling damage would be at 4d10 + 5 + 3d8, which is 40.5. You make it a d10, and you push it to 44.5.

It's still not quite as good, as you can't multitarget like EB can and it doesn't get the stacking bonus from Hex.

So, basically, the change to AB in the packet still doesn't address the root issue of EB being head and shoulders above every other cantrip for Warlocks. If that's intended, fine, but then EB should be integrated into the class features.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm less concerned with how they're implemented mechanically and more with the loss of narrative flair. I have a warlock character concept whose backstory and "inciting incident" for making their pact is essentially sacrificing something of themselves in exchange for knowledge of runes and writing, Odin-style, which I'd planned to represent through Eyes of the Rune Keeper - their entire reason for the making the pact (or at least one major aspect of it) was to gain the ability to read anything at any time.

Now that ability is locked behind a spell cast. One which (cast time, components, duration, and/or spell slot aside) is more versatile than simply being able to read any writing, to be sure, since it also covers spoken language, but is far less narratively evocative.
It's tough. The game has been wrestling with balancing "spell as a packaged unit of game mechanic" and "spell as an in-narrative function" for several editions now, and there's no way to satisfy every take.

It's tough. The game has been wrestling with balancing "spell as a packaged unit of game mechanic" and "spell as an in-narrative function" for several editions now, and there's no way to satisfy every take.
Naaaaah.

D&D has never wrestled with that.

Not once. Go on, tell me what edition the wrestling match took place in!

1/2/3E all were 100% with spells as having incredibly powerful in-narrative functions, which increasingly disenfranchised non-casters with each edition.

4E just said "Nope". Didn't wrestle. Didn't argue. Just made it so everyone potentially had "powerful in-narrative" functions from their AEDU abilities, aided by, for at most the cost of a feat, Ritual Caster.

5E just went straight back to 1/2/3E. No wrestling. No concern. Spells have powerful in-narrative functions which no non-spell is allowed to equal. Not even on Full Casters. If it's a levelled spell - or even a cantrip in some cases, you can just SAY what happens in the narrative. If it's not? You're rolling dice.

Hmm, one level dip for EB (no longer tied to warlock level), a short rest spell and an invocation, then take 19 levels of sorcerer. Sign me up. Coffeelocks are back and better than ever!

#featurenotbug

Wrong. Multiclass warlock explicitely states you can cast spells with either feature. It does not say that you can turn warlock spells into sorcery points.

Remove ads