The Reconquista: Part I (Shadows over Istivin)

Ranger Rick said:
OOC Isn't Istavin between the keep and Fetila?
OOC: You can take a look at the map of Sterich at the bottom of the first OOC post, but I believe the answer to your question, is that the High Paymaster of Zilchus had already visited Godakin Keep before performing his ceremonial duties in Fitela, the party never went by the Keep.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
Thanee said:
“In its grip? What is that supposed to mean?” Latalya asks her battle companion curiously.

Hearing Latalya, George shakes his head for a second. Anastasia, I agree with Latalya, what grip are you talking about?

Seeten

First Post
Anastasia turns to her companions, "I have heard no news of any sort about Istivin in so long I cant remember the last. It is bound to be something dark and sinister. Isnt it always?"

"Perhaps you have not all had similar feelings, but something is out of place with our capital. I feel it. Mayaheine's clergy feels it. Something is rotten in Istivin, and I plan to find out what." She looks at the gathering, "Who is with me?"

Thanee

First Post
Latalya

“What a question...” Latalya replies, grinning.

“I just thought you might know something more tangible about it; you did sound like it for sure. But whatever it is, we are going to find out!”

James Heard

Explorer
Mavic's hollow eyes haunted him in the mirror as he scraped off the scraggly beard that he had hidden behind for so many...years? Was it years now? More time than in Niole Dra. More time than delving dungeons with Erold and Gregos. Almost more time than anything really. Meria, father, Gander, Felth, Buren - all gone now. Even little Serolia, all grown up and vanished, fled the manor in Keoland that he'd placed her in and run off with some hedge-knight from the Uleks. It would seem that Mavic's entire family was lost, each of them a better soul than his own, and Mavic still remaining. He frowned. His face was so old now, he looked like father. Father right after mother died maybe, or when the horse kicked him, or when Mavic saw him last. His dark eyes were fixed, unmoving, dark pits of certainty staring wide-eyed with wonder at the sky framed by the blood upon the snow.

"I like it," interrupted from behind him. "It makes you look younger, more noble."

"Shanna," he said, washing away the lather," are the boys all behaving themselves?"

"Aye, I had to box Thom Younger a bit for making eyes at one of the serving lads though."

"Good. The people respect us here now, because we're heroes. Heroes fade from lack of danger. They'll turn on us soon enough if we give them reason."

"Yes, but you let me worry on that. Not everyone can look the part." Her hand, he knew, would draw up unbidden to her ruined face at that bald statement. There was nothing he could do. The giants were nothing if not thorough. Sometimes the magic isn't enough to heal the wounds. Sometimes living is the only cure.

***​
The ceremonies were brief, his lads looking every bit the warriors that they were in their new red uniforms. Mavic had traded days worth of magic for those uniforms, but from the look in his boy's eyes it was well worth it. For some of them it might have been their first new pair of clothes ever, even the grizzled Merres probably hadn't travelled two miles from his farm until he'd joined up with the Reddogs. The mercenaries and opportunists were all dead and gone now, no more 'dogs from the Sea Barons for Sterich! They had all paid their dues in blood and misfortune, it did him proud to see the Larigne colors so. He'd even put on the ridiculous face paint that Shanna insisted upon, "So the people will recognize you." It was amazing to what sorts of foolish things people would latch upon as symbols, what unplanned choices would do to stear your life.

***​
Mavic's eyes burnt with hatred as he reread the letter and he crumbled the offensive parchment in a ball across the room.

"Problem, Mav?" Eshanna said.

"They're still trying to take it away. All away, for nothing!" he said tightly.

"Who?" she inquired.

"Emondav, she's taking claimants upon the manor." Mine! his soul screamed. "She's declared a deadline. We must present ourselves to the court in Istivin."

"Istivin?"

"The capital, surely you -" Mavic paused. "How could we forget about Istivin?"

"My aunt was in Istivin when the war started," Eshanna said quietly, thinking.

"And I spent every spring since I was old enough to part with teats going to court with my father there."

"Something is wrong, isn't it." Eshanna whispered bleakly.

"Very wrong." Mavic replied. "Still."

***​
As the dewfog cleared, Mavic went to each of his men and saw to it that they were tending their mounts as they boarded the riverboat. Shanna was huddled in her customary place deep in the holds where she could "see if anything horrible happened to the boat, first." She was a worse sailor than she was a horseman, he thought wryly.

Others arrived, with surprising familiarity. Anastasia, the paladin, and the lads George and Morely. His heart panged with regret when he recognized Latalya. He would have to tell her about Buren eventually. Even the fat dwarf Reivik waddled up onto the boat. Again. Still.

Like moths to an open flame, he thought. He fingered the long red scarf that Serolia made for him. Is it ever over?

Binding the red trail of color by tossing it over his shoulder, he threw off his hat to meet his companions and help them tend their gear.

Scotley

Hero
Morley Human Ranger

Morley hides a grin. Anastasia is almost certainly tilting at windmills, but it is good to be back with old comrades... "I'll join you in this Anastasia, perhaps it will lead to something. I've nothing better to do just now."

Ranger Rick

First Post
Seeten said:
Anastasia turns to her companions, "I have heard no news of any sort about Istivin in so long I cant remember the last. It is bound to be something dark and sinister. Isnt it always?"

"Perhaps you have not all had similar feelings, but something is out of place with our capital. I feel it. Mayaheine's clergy feels it. Something is rotten in Istivin, and I plan to find out what." She looks at the gathering, "Who is with me?"

George laughs out loud. Anstasia, you sound like an old parinoid fool. Morley is correct you are tilting at windmills. But than I do agree with you. I can not put a finger on it, something in my bones tells me all is not as it should be. As in the past, I will be by your side opening the doors for your mighty charge. Wink. However, before you go galloping off to champion the poor of Istalvin, let us try to find out if we have any reason to feel this unknown evil in our bones. After several years, we may be nothing but war weary. Anastasia, why don't you find out from the good boat captain, what cargo is on the manifest.

OOC I still would like to open a few of these cargo boxes and determine what is being shipped from the keep, via us, to the city. If for no other reason to see if the manifest is different from reality.

Ranger Rick said:
OOC I still would like to open a few of these cargo boxes and determine what is being shipped from the keep, via us, to the city. If for no other reason to see if the manifest is different from reality.
OOC: Some of the cargo boxes are open, so it doesn't take much subterfuge to figure out what's inside: weapons and armor (medium and light). From the look of them [Appraise and Knowlege (local) checks] they look to be of fairly inexpensive Keolandish manufacture. In addition, there are some barrels of lamp oil.

Especially this early in the morning, the small village of Istivin Crossing is not much to look at. Set on the north banks of the Davish River the center of the village made up only of a few warehouses and a large blockhouse at the banks of the ford. A small, wooden shrine to Obd-Hai and Fharlanghn sits next to the river, made entirely of river stones, and decorated with cuttings from many flowering trees. A common sight in many parts of Sterich, locals stop here before travelling on the river, asking the gods' blessings on their journey. Despite recent rebuilding after the war, many of the structures here are sagging with age, and everything has a very "worn-in" look about it. Moss or ivy covers many walls, and pavement stones have been worn smooth by the passing of countless feet. A large inn known as the "Laughing Trout" sits on the central green, catering mainly to the river trade. Although the inn's recent whitewashing makes it look fairly presentable, there are the tell-tale signs of old damage from the war. Next to the inn is an attached, large stable, and many wagons are parked outside, waiting to carry goods to and from the capital less than 10 miles away. Outside the center of the town are a few private houses where the dockworkers live with their families.

Hypersmurf, James Heard:[SBLOCK]OOC: A bardic knowledge/knowledge (history, local) check tells you that Istivin Crossing is actually the oldest settlement in Sterich, and was the capital before it was decided that Istivin proper would be more defensible. It also has a bad reputation of being haunted, stemming from a bloody incident which occured nearly 200 years ago. A group of miners from the headwaters went on strike against their heavy-handed foreman, an old orc-fighter (as opposed to an old orc fighter) named Brellis Krelont. To minimize the disruption in ore shipments, Krelont agreed to a meeting with the miners at Istivin Crossing. When the miners arrived, Krelont's thugs murdered them and buried their bodies in a mass grave. Krelont reported that he sent the miners packing and that the threat of strike had been quelled by his get-tough policies. He was later awarded with the Wardenship of the Marchlands by the king of Keoland for his efficiency in handling the strike and defending against raids.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads