The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
61—Into the heart of unquiet.

Taran returns to the group and sits brooding until Thelbar and Kyreel have finished their morning preparations. He then relates the events of the night before. Kyreel enters into a communion with Palatin Eremath.

“Mother, pull the future from our eyes and instruct us. Is Irae T’ssarion in the castle?”
No.
“Can Irae T’ssarion’s current location be reached through the castle?”
Yes.
“Is Sharlequanan with her?”
Sharlequanan awaits you.
“Are we in any danger from Sharlequanan?”
That is unclear.
“Does Irae T’ssarion have powerful servants that Taran did not see?”
Yes.
“Are these powerful servants undead?”
Yes.
“Is Irae T’ssarion on this plane?”
No.
“Is Irae T’ssarion on a border plane?”
Yes.
“Is this border plane a demi-plane?”
No.
“Is this border plane the etheric?”
Yes.
“Other than wraiths and ghosts, does Irae have allies that exist in the etheric plane?”
Yes.
“Does Irae T’ssarion have a permanent gate to the etheric plane within her stronghold.”
Yes.

Kyreel ends her commune and relates the answers she received.

“Okay,” Taran says, “If she is in the ethereal plane, we can get to her via teleport assuming you can make us etheric, Ky.”

“I can, but not for long. Ten minutes, maybe more.”

“If any of us’re still fighting in ten minutes, we’ll be glad to come back to the prime.” Taran looks at Thelbar and Kyreel. “Are you ready? Today is a good day to die.”

-----

Kyreel invokes Palatin Eremath, and the goddess shepherds the heroes instantly and safely into the ethereal plane. The atmosphere is colorless and gray, and they can see a wispy, insubstantial representation of the physical world all around them, although they cannot interact with it.

Thelbar prepares the group with protection from spells—a new abjuration that he assures them will ward them from dire spell effects. “We will need this if we are to tame this beast in its lair,” he says. “Make yourselves ready, and I will scry our target.”

After an hour has passed, Thelbar looks up from his scrying pool, and places a hand on each of his companions shoulders, looking squarely into their eyes. He smiles to himself, liking the focus and dedication he sees, and after favoring his closest friends with a warm smile, he teleports them to Irae T’ssarion’s most sacrosanct haven. Taran and Kyreel have no warning of what they are to face, and spend a few crucial seconds readying spells and trying to orient themselves in their new environment.

They find themselves inside a large circular chamber, entirely real and solid in the etheric plane, the walls of which are lined with the rotting corpses of several male drow, animated and consigned to an ignominious eternity serving the White Death as hideous candelabra. The light from the candles clutched in their rotting hands illuminates a massive giant’s skull set into an alcove, blackened by fire, and covered with suspicious stains. Upon the skull rests a cradle woven from an unidentifiable fibrous matter, and decorated with disagreeable twining symbols.

Directly behind the skull and cradle, and flanked by the zombies is a mural depicting Kiransalee herself. The vile drow goddess of undeath is depicted as a six-armed beautiful vampiric drow woman. Her image extends down to the floor, and well into the room itself. The illusion is convincing enough that for a moment Taran thinks that the mural is somehow actually reaching for the cradle.

In the center of this scene is a ghastly pale elven woman, of drowish feature, but entirely bleached of color. She is naked from the waist up, her lower half covered only by a wispy translucent fabric that dances about her as if it is blowing in some unfelt breeze. Standing protectively in front of her are a pair of drow males, dressed in elven armor and clutching cruel-looking polearms. Their glassy skin and un-blinking eyes betraying their undead state as well. They appear to be ready and expecting trouble.

“What is this?” the drow woman asks casually, a bemused and distant tone to her voice. She sneers at Kyreel, and hisses the drow word for “race traitor”.

Kyreel responds by chanting the most holy of Ishlokain invocations, the Truth of Making. “No Light, no Darkness, no Dawn, no Dusk,” she begins.

Irae T’ssarion reels back from the prayer, and screams, “Lolth protects you not!” as she raises her hands in a symbolic plea to Kiransalee. “I crush them with your will, my goddess,” she murmurs, with a sensual purr. Thelbar feels a sudden tremendous pressure compressing his body from every direction, bearing down into the center of him. He gasps, and says a silent prayer of his own in thanks for his protection from spells as the pressure lessens, then dissipates.

Just as Irae T’sarrion relinquishes her implosion spell, Thelbar feels a new sense of unease that rapidly peaks into a buzzing pain, and just as rapidly fades. No caster is immediately obvious; Irae T’ssarion’s bodyguards are leveling their weapons, and the zombies give no notice that they are even aware of the presence of the characters.

From the Beyond, came One. From this One sprouted the Many. And this Many brought us Creation.

Thelbar responds to this spell assault with an barrage of his own: He fills the room with a sunburst, obliterating the zombies, and searing away chunks of flesh from the three drow in the center of the room. He follows this with a prismatic spray, its multi-colored bands leaping and twining across the chamber. Streams of acid and electricity strike one of the drow bodyguards, and rip it to shreds. Irae T’ssarion is burned, and while her wispy garments catch fire and flash away, she seems to avoid the worst.

Irae T’sarrion backs away from the trio of adventurers, and heals herself. As she does so, her revenant ally raises its weapon and calls down an ice storm onto the heads of its opponents, then touches Irae T’ssarion, hasting her.

Taran determines to level the killing field, and uses his wand of haste to place the spell upon himself and Kyreel as well, so that all the combatants move and attack with a preternatural speed. Kyreel, still chanting to herself, closes the distance to Irae T’ssarion, and cleaves into the ghost with her holy flaming sword. “. . . Our goddess brought the Many to the Beyond, and closed the circle of Making.

A lone vrock is summoned by an unseen opponent directly behind Kyreel—it leaps upon her back, tearing at her shoulders with its claws, and blinding her with its filthy wings.

Thelbar, glaring at Irae T’ssarion with his arcane sight yells, “She is mortal!” Satisfied, he invokes a feeblemind, but the spell cannot penetrate her drowish spell resistance. Discouraged, he disintegrates the vrock assaulting Kyreel, turning it to a wisp of dust in an instant.

Taran leaps into the fray, and after booting the revenant out of his way, cuts into Irae T’sarrion once, then twice, opening wicked-looking wounds along her arms and chest.

The ghost-woman only laughs at this development. “Kiransalee will not be foiled by the likes of you!” she sneers.

Taran regards her with a cold stare then glances down at his two swords. “Your daughter was,” he says, raising his eyebrows and stepping forward.

Kyreel moves to a position where she can look into the cradle; whatever she sees there holds her for a moment, and she bows her head, despite the presence of two armed enemies at her back. They lash out at her, taking advantage of their attacks of opportunity to score wounds along her shoulder. Kyreel gasps, although whether it is from the wounds, or something she sees in the cradle, none can tell.

Once again, Irae T’ssarion is forced to step back and heal herself, but this time she follows the spell with a fire storm that sweeps the room with a sheet of intense flame, singing her foes despite their protections. Immediately afterwards, a familiar thin crackling sound is heard, and the sickening sensation of a horrid wilting pervades the room.

“The witch did not cast that spell!” Thelbar yells.

“The baby!” Taran says. “They horrid wiltinged the baby! You bitch!” He stumbles forward then, severely dehydrated and wounded badly from the rain of spells.

At that moment, two suits of full plate armor, animated without any apparent occupants, rise through an opening in the floor at one end of the circular chamber. Sartre wheels past them, and dives toward Taran, curing him with an imbued spell. As the owl lends aid, Taran feels a tug at his mind—a mental compulsion that he manages to throw off.

Thelbar rises up to his full height, and levels his finger at Irae T’ssarion, speaking a power word stun. The ghost-drow staggers back and a sigh escapes her lips as her eyes glaze over. Taran seizes this opportunity, and strikes with a snake-like quickness, burying Black Lisa into her skull, splitting her head in two through to the lower jaw. He releases Black Lisa, and as Irae T’ssarion begins to fall backwards, he whirls around, pulls a wand from his belt, fireballs the armored specters, drops the wand and completes his circle by grasping his sword hilt again. With a whip-like contraction of his heavily muscled arm, he frees his sword, shattering Irae T’ssarion’s skull into red, gelatinous pieces.

“Bitch.”

Kyreel lays her hands on Taran and uses her own curing magics to complete the task Sartre began. As she does so, Thelbar rips a chain lighting into the spectral knights, destroying them, and disintegrates the skull, causing the crib to fall roughly to the ground. “Demi-lich,” he says by way of explanation.

Thelbar rises up to his full height, and levels his finger at Irae T’ssarion, speaking a power word stun. The ghost-drow staggers back and a sigh escapes her lips as her eyes glaze over. Taran seizes this opportunity, and strikes with a snake-like quickness, burying Black Lisa into her skull, splitting her head in two through to the lower jaw. He releases Black Lisa, and as Irae T’ssarion begins to fall backwards, he whirls around, pulls a wand from his belt, fireballs the armored specters, drops the wand and completes his circle by grasping his sword hilt again. With a whip-like contraction of his heavily muscled arm, he frees his sword, shattering Irae T’ssarion’s skull into red, gelatinous pieces.
Now that has got to be in the running for the Single Coolest Combat Round (tm) award. Way to go, Taran!

dpdx

Explorer
(contact) said:
I'm glad you like it! I see Indy's game-winning run down the left flank made it in to your .sig as well. :) It's even funnier when you imagine a 3-ft. halfling running *flat out*, with his mullet trailing behind him. :p

Oh yeah - funnier yet imagining him in the green of la Seleccion, with Andres Cantor making the call - although either my knowledge is failing me, or 'Llamosa en el centro' would be a turnover. Better Marquez or even Blanco. Still, Indy looks like a 3-foot Luis Hernandez, so it fits.

Still, when I read it, it stood out as the funniest thing I'd ever read on this board. And as long as it still makes me laugh, it will be in my .sig.

Congratulations on an outstanding Story Hour. One question: the baby is Sharlequannan/Arunshee/post-Lolth, correct? I wasn't clear on whether it lived through the latest combat.

incognito

First Post
question

...assuming you can make us etheric, Ky.”

“I can, but not for long. Ten minutes, maybe more.”

then:

(once in the etheric)
"Make yourselves ready, and I will scry our target.”

After an hour has passed,..."

What happened here?

Also, Thel casts scry as a mage right? So he nees the 1,000 GP mirror, not the font, but heck, he could store that in a portable hole, or whatever.

Also confused by Taran's full round actions. took an attack (Which somehow killed a freshly healed Irae), then a move equivalent (sheath a weapon), drew a weapon (the wand) - a move equivalent, used the wand (standard action), then dropped it (free action), drew his weapon (move-eqiv, again), and attacked again.

Not that I don't think Taran could do it (esp. with a few liberal interpretations of feats, or a house rule or two), I just don't understand what happened...

Why did the Zombies die in the 3d6 sunburst?

What happened to the "other" drow guard?

Where was the Revenant?

Protection from spells is L8! Is Thel a L15? Wizard already?

Is Irae, not really a ghost, then?

(contact)

Explorer
dpdx said:
Still, Indy looks like a 3-foot Luis Hernandez, so it fits.
He does, huh?
One question: the baby is Sharlequannan/Arunshee/post-Lolth, correct? I wasn't clear on whether it lived through the latest combat.

The characters are assuming that the baby is Sharlequannan, but it remains to be revealed whether the baby is in fact the Risen Goddess, or just some poor withered, scorched and horribly burned NPC.
What happened here?

Also, Thel casts scry as a mage right? So he nees the 1,000 GP mirror, not the font,
Ah, details. ;) Chalk that up to writer's error. They went etheric after the scry and before the teleport.

Also confused by Taran's full round actions. took an attack (Which somehow killed a freshly healed Irae), then a move equivalent (sheath a weapon), drew a weapon (the wand) - a move equivalent, used the wand (standard action), then dropped it (free action), drew his weapon (move-eqiv, again), and attacked again.

He didn't sheathe his sword, it was still stuck in Irae T'ssarion's head! 1st action: Kill Irae, Quick Draw, bonus partial action: fireball. The rest is flavor.

1. Why did the Zombies die in the 3d6 sunburst?

2.What happened to the "other" drow guard?

3. Where was the Revenant?

4. Protection from spells is L8! Is Thel a L15? Wizard already?

5. Is Irae, not really a ghost, then?

1. Because they are generic Size-M zombies. Also, remember that sunburst does d6/level (25d6 cap) to undead. Thelbar's sunburst mauled that fight!

2. Killed by spell and weapon, I assume. They took a sunburst and prismatic spray back-to-back, and I think one of them was either obliterated outright or sent to another plane. That would be a writer's error. I blame society. It's also possible that either Taran or Kyreel (or both) creamed them.

3. Both of her bodyguards were revenants.

4. Yes, 17th level during this fight, IIRC, but he may have even been higher.

5. I'm not sure what she was. The impression I got was that she was a ghost, and therefore "corporeal" on the Etheric plane.

incognito

First Post
Champions L17+ -> no wonder they stomp things so easily!

d6 per level from Sunburst to undead! You are SO right (contact), what was I thinking! I know what happened to the 2nd drow guard now!

plop...

5. I'm not sure what she was.

what ever she was...she's gone now...

and good for Taran, mixing up the magic and the hack. Yeah! Death to the the enemies of the Champions.

....and you gotta feel bad for the baby...I have a feelign your dm is about to ...ahhh...do unfotunate things to the PCs now...

Schmoe

Adventurer
Hey (contact). Great story hour! I just finally finished reading it, and it only took me two weeks. That first page took a week by itself. :)

Anyway, I wanted to chime in and say that I really like the theme of this campaign. My current campaign is on a similar track, exploring the mysteries of the pantheons and the role they have had on the world. It's very cool to see some of the contortions and convolutions that have been revealed in this story. I don't know how much of the "truth" you two already know based upon your prior adventures with these characters, and how much of it is still being decided, but it's a fun ride.

A couple questions:

1.) Whose idea were the hyper-aggressive gnomish barbarians? Talk about coming out of thin air... ;)

2.) I was going to ask about Raising the Banshee, and the 1 minute casting time of Raise Dead, and the fact that the soul has to be willing, and the fact that the spell explicitly states it doesn't work on undead creatures, but then I remembered what the theme of this campaign is, and I realized it doesn't really matter.

3.) Wow, does Feeblemind suck, or what? Are there any plans for bad guys casting chained Feebleminds, and the like, in the near future?

4.) Sorcerer/fighters. First (or second?) Heydricus, now Taran. It's an odd combination on the surface, but apparently quite effective. Do you find that this combination significantly enhances the power, or simply diversifies the character?

5.) Indy is cool.

6.) Vognu was cooler.

7.) Was that "perfect" fire giant a paragon fire-giant, or simply a bad-ass?

8.) When are you going to update again, d***it?!

(contact)

Explorer
Schmoe said:
Hey (contact). Great story hour! I just finally finished reading it, and it only took me two weeks. That first page took a week by itself. :)

Thanks-- it's always gratifying to see folks migrate from the LoT over to the RG. Glad you're enjoying the SH so far! :)

I don't know how much of the "truth" you two already know based upon your prior adventures with these characters, and how much of it is still being decided, but it's a fun ride.

The "truth" of the pasoun, and these character's particular role in the Ishlokian faith is already established, but the "truth" about Ishlok's former incarnation is entirely new . . . I was sideswiped by that revelation!

1.) Whose idea were the hyper-aggressive gnomish barbarians? Talk about coming out of thin air... ;)

2.) I was going to ask about Raising the Banshee . . . I realized it doesn't really matter.

3.) Wow, does Feeblemind suck, or what? Are there any plans for bad guys casting chained Feebleminds, and the like, in the near future?

4.) Sorcerer/fighters. First (or second?) Heydricus, now Taran. It's an odd combination on the surface, but apparently quite effective. Do you find that this combination significantly enhances the power, or simply diversifies the character?

5.) Indy is cool.

6.) Vognu was cooler.

7.) Was that "perfect" fire giant a paragon fire-giant, or simply a bad-ass?

8.) When are you going to update again, d***it?!

1) Um (looks around). That was my idea. The whole Elemental Air adventures was my baby. Whenever you see things that make no sense at all with anything that came before it? (Raises hand.)

2) Essentially, it just seemed *right* to both of us that raise dead would act like a finger of death against the undead, so there it is. I'm sure we could have written a rules-legal fiat for this if we'd cared to, but I think it's wise not to get too caught up in after-the-fact rationalization. It made sense at the table, so that's how we played it.

3) Thelbar is *terrified* of feeblemind and keeps a ring of counterspelling expressly for this purpose.

4) Very much like Heydricus, although Taran is a ranger/sorcerer. I think that the combination is really cool, and something like the psionic warrior-- if the fighter/sorcerer has an opportunity to get his spells up, he'll kick the single class fighter's ass, but if not . . .

Taran's spell list focuses on defensive spells -- shield, endure elements, mirror image, and displace self being popular choices.

5 & 6) Maybe we'll see Indy more later . . .

7) I belive a paragon, but again, I'm the player. What I *know* is that he looked like the absolute epitome of everything a fire giant is supposed to be, so maybe that means that he had a 20 Cha and max hp or something . . .

8) Later tonight, ok? But go check out the LoT update first!

Barastrondo

First Post
(contact) said:

7) I belive a paragon, but again, I'm the player. What I *know* is that he looked like the absolute epitome of everything a fire giant is supposed to be, so maybe that means that he had a 20 Cha and max hp or something . . .

Yesterday was new miniatures day at the local game shop, and they'd gotten in a new fire giant mini from Reaper that was so cool that my wife not only picked one up (she's not normally into all monster figures), but she pronounced it "the Platonic ideal* of all fire giants."

I, of course, said "Ah, like in the Risen Goddess."

*Of course, he's ugly in the face, but to us, that's part of what fire giants are supposed to be all about. The "perfect fire giant mini" is one that's perfectly strong, brutal, well-dressed and ugly.

Remove ads