The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

Schmoe

Adventurer
(contact) said:
100—Dead women tell no lies.

Thelbar lashes a sonic-substituted chain lighting spell through the alleyway. It roars and arcs from wall to woman to ground and back to woman again; Hale ignores the spell, her inherent drow resistance to magic protecting her from the waves of sound. But she cannot evade the two sonic fireballs that rattle flesh from bone.

Quick question. Do you use energy substitution as written? Personally, I think that being able to substitute sonic for no level adjustment is a little unbalanced, but I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

“Submerse your souls within the truth of my words!” A new voice is heard, feminine and bold, speaking common with a drowish accent. “Your goddess is gone, slain by our mutual enemies. Give over to reason now, reckless slayers, you beautiful givers of death. A corpse can have no champion in life; Her memory demands revenge! Join with Tenebrous, and let us show you what grace lives on when life is purged. Together we will destroy those who have opposed us, and lay their souls at the feet of our Lord!”

Elgin’s response to this speech is to invoke a greater dispelling, and remove the utterdark surrounding the Champions. As his vision returns, he sees a dark-elf woman levitating thirty feet in the air almost directly above him. Taran and Thelbar recognize her as the eldest daughter of Mother Banare—the wizardess Bladen Kurst.

Thelbar replies to her entreaty with a prismatic spray, followed by a quickened disintegrate. Bladen Kurst disappears in a puff of dust, her unfinished curse fading into nothing.

Gosh. You would think that high level mages would try to protect themselves from pesky Disintegrate spells prior to showing up and making Dramatic Speeches.

Gorquen turns to charge Irae T'ssarion, only to find that the spectral cleric has appeared right by her side! Gorquen swings from her heels and sends a crushing blow shuddering home into the drow’s torso. Irae takes the shot and places her palm on Gorquen’s chest, just above her heart. Gorquen gasps and becomes semi-translucent for a moment, her blood vessels visible beneath her skin. She feels a section of her soul torn from her body, and cast into the ethers.

“Does my Master’s kiss please you, Alushair?” Irae T’ssarion whispers. “Would you like me to take you home to him?”

What is this? I don't recognize the spell. Whatever it is, it sounds nasty.

(contact)

Explorer
Schmoe said:
Quick question. Do you use energy substitution as written? Personally, I think that being able to substitute sonic for no level adjustment is a little unbalanced, but I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

Yes. And reading carefully, you'll notice that Thel has never used it to substitute anything other than sonic.

Schmoe said:
Gosh. You would think that high level mages would try to protect themselves from pesky Disintegrate spells prior to showing up and making Dramatic Speeches.

I'm sure she thought her thirty-something SR was equal to the challenge. But if you're a lich, you really can't be *that* concerned about getting blasted. I had the impression that this little undead drow hit-squad was Scaladar's (Orcus) way of reaching out the hand of friendship.

Schmoe said:
What is this? I don't recognize the spell. Whatever it is, it sounds nasty.

That would be energy drain, an all around naaasty spell.

Despaxas

First Post
/stumbles out of the lurk-shadows and wipes the blood off his face

WOW! What a ride. Simply amazing story. This is one of those moments when I wish I didn't live in Holland but near wherever you guys live so I could come worship at your front door. :) Keep it up.

/Fades back into the lurk-shadows

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
(contact), do you read Sepulchrave's story hour? It'd be fun to read a conversation on the nature of divinity between Thelbar, Taran, Nwm, and Eadric. Both adventuring parties could conceivably run into each other in Sigil...

-z, crossover crazy

Barastrondo

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
(contact), do you read Sepulchrave's story hour? It'd be fun to read a conversation on the nature of divinity between Thelbar, Taran, Nwm, and Eadric. Both adventuring parties could conceivably run into each other in Sigil...

Heads would explode.

Actually, I dunno if it would be conceivable; I get the impression that the nature of divinity is, behind the scenes, very different in Sepulchrave's campaign than it is in the average D&D world. The conspicuous lack of celestials in alignments other than LG already kind of hints at a place where the Great Wheel is missing a few spokes. Sigil isn't quite a neutral ground in that respect; its very existence is already kind of tilting the idea of the multiverse farther back toward D&D standard than I get the impression is the case in Sepulchrave's game, and therefore it would give Eadric and Nwm quite the handicap in that debate.

And even if there were/is a Sigil in Sepulchrave's campaign, how would you propose to get Nwm there without eating flame strike?

(contact)

Explorer
Barastrondo said:
And even if there were/is a Sigil in Sepulchrave's campaign, how would you propose to get Nwm there without eating flame strike?

(Tips back hat) Scry, buff, teleport. Same as usual.

(contact)

Explorer
101—Introduction to Ancient History

The party returns to their home, and Gorquen is closely tended by both Ilwe and Elgin Trezler. They chant prayers and make offerings, and over the next day help Gorquen’s soul-fragments return to their host. By the time twenty-four hours have elapsed since Irae T’ssarion’s attack, Gorquen is feeling nearly whole.

That afternoon, as the Champions of the Risen Goddess divide the spoils of the previous day’s fighting and Taran and Gorquen work through their daily argument, there is a sharp rap at the door. Skleeve is nowhere to be found, and Taran reluctantly trudges over to answer the door, talking to Gorquen over his shoulder.

“F-ck that,” he observes with his usual dignified reserve. ” I wouldn’t even need a sharpened stick—a splintery stick would work!” Taran opens the door, and sees a stranger’s face. An elven man, smaller and more slender than most, he is dressed plainly, and carries only a simple traveller's staff. Of course, most humanoids seem small when standing next to Taran, and the adventurer’s gaudy jewelry and ornate magic items could cause even remarkable clothing to seem plain.

“Which one of you is Gorquen?” the elf asks softly, perhaps recognizing what little use civility might have in the face of a half-drunk Tar-Ilou.

Taran places himself more squarely in the doorway, and towers over the small man with a threatening frown. “Me,” he says with a glare. “Who are you?”

“I am Almus Re.”

Taran’s face goes blank for a moment, and then he stands aside, pointing at Gorquen. “That’s her,” he says as he walks away from the door, and toward the back of the house.

“Where are you going?” Elgin asks.

“I don’t want to know,” Taran explains as he leaves the room. “Whatever it is, I don’t want to know.”

Thelbar and Ilwe rush to the man’s side, and take his cloak and walking stick. “Be welcomed within our home, revered sage,” Thelbar says. “We have, of course, heard of you,” he continues, “although I speak for my companions when I say that meeting you is an unexpected honor.”

Elgin pours the wine, and even Gorquen gets in on the act, fussing over Almus Re’s chair, and asking him several times if he requires a cushion (and despite his insistence that he does not, brings him one anyway).

Almus Re is a legendary figure among the followers of the Ermathan Pantheon. As the seer who first prophesied the elven schism and rebirth of Palatin Eremath, he is technically the first being to recognize the Risen Goddess, and therefore a saint by default. But the moral most commonly associated with his legend is simply this: too much knowledge is worse than none at all.

It has been said about him that the gods themselves refused to allow him to die; that until all of his prophecies came to pass, he should be forced to wait—his soul made to witness those things his words have promised.

“You treat me like an honored guest,” Almus Re complains. “But I have come before you as a beggar.” The elf stands up, pushing the untouched wine glass away from him. “I will take a knee and entreat you—do not go into the realm of the undead.”

There is a long pause, as the Champions look at one another, at a loss for words.

“I spoke prophecies, yes, at the time many of us did. Such things were closer to the minds of the elves, and the future seemed more knowable than it does today. But unlike my peers, I spoke Elder prophecies. I told the gods themselves what might be, and in some cases what must be. For this I was cursed, and for years uncountable I have borne the weight of the thing that I made.”

Almus Re regards Gorquen. “But I did not speak them all. Some words I have kept to myself, that no ear might be burdened with them. There is a fifth prophecy that I alone carry. And when you broke the sword of Helm, you made it true. I ask you now, I beg you: abandon your quest—walk away.”

Gorquen shifts uncomfortably under his gaze, her wings opening and closing.

“Will you tell us then, what you have seen?” Thelbar asks, his eyes glinting.

“I will not,” Almus Re says. “I have sworn an oath never to reveal it, and will not break my word.”

“Then you ask too much,” Thelbar says. “I am moved by your entreaty, sir, but I am not convinced. You must forgive me, for were I to be swayed by nebulous promises of doom, I think I should not have come to where I find myself, nor ever dared what I have done.”

“For myself, my faith guides me,” Elgin says. “And I am also convinced that we are about the right.”

Almus Re bows his head, and without another word, stands and leaves the Champion’s home.

Taran, return to us, please,” Thelbar thinks through his telepathic bond.

“Almus Re has reminded me of something,” Thelbar says, when Taran has taken his seat. “I had meant to speak with each of you privately, although this moment seems the better time. What we are about in the Abyss will, I believe, result in an upsetting of the natural order; we intend to set the pasoun above the gods, and in so doing reclaim something believed lost forever. There are souls in Myth Iskok—followers of the goddess, banished to the Abyss in a time before our goddess liberated us from such a fate. It is unjust, it is wrong, and if we are strong enough, we will set it to rights.”

“Yes, that is what I also believe,” Gorquen says.

“But have you considered the implications?” Thelbar asks. “If you have not, do so now, for I assure you that our enemies have. We can expect to be opposed by all who hold to the rightness of things as they are. We intend to usurp the justice of the gods themselves, and if we are successful, expose their will as a finite and temporal thing. You see that this will not endear us among those who distrust our doctrines.”

“What else is new?” Taran says. “As far as I’m concerned they can all bring it. It’s not like we aren’t already hated by the big kids on the block—we might as well be hated by the rest of them.”

“That is my opinion, yes,” Thelbar replies. “But I would know that we are all equally committed. This is no thing to be undertaken lightly.”

“Danger means nothing to me,” Gorquen says. “My duty is clear.”

Elgin sighs. “This conflict pains me greatly. But our pasoun threatens these gods—and why should it not? The worshippers they loose are lost to the outer planes forever.”

“So?” Taran says.

“After death, the souls of the Prime Material travel to the outer planes, and eventually merge with a plane—this process is how the planes grow and sustain themselves.”

“Yet, aren’t the planes infinite?” Ilwe asks.

“So we are led to believe,” Elgin says. “But unending does not mean infinitely populated.”

“So what?” Taran says.

“If there were an unlimited amount of souls, there would be an unlimited amount for everyone. If that were true, the pasoun would not threaten these deities.”

“Yeah, I get all that. I meant, ‘who cares.’ Any god sends his proxies against us, well, he must not have wanted them, because we will kill them dead.”

“You do understand that if the multiverse is not, in fact, infinite, then the pasoun will eventually consume it?”

“Didn’t I say ‘so what’ already?” Taran asks. Thelbar stifles a smile.

“I don’t understand,” Gorquen says. “Since souls gravitate toward the good over many lifetimes, how could the pasoun be bad?”

“It is not ‘bad,’” Elgin says. “We are discussing why others may be threatened by it.”

Ilwe continues. “By passing souls through the veil, Ishlok is removing spiritual energy from the multiverse. The resistance we have faced so far indicates that these gods do not believe that it will be replaced. From their point of view, they are fighting for their home.”

“Maybe the bath-water’s cold, and it’s time to pull the plug,” Taran says.

“Or maybe you just like killing things, and don’t really care one way or the other,” Gorquen says prickly.

Taran smiles and shrugs.

Elgin raises his hands. “Philosophy aside, I would have it said of us that we held to our truth, and that faith was our guide. As Lathander is with our cause, so am I. To answer your original question, Thelbar, I believe we have all considered what we are about; I believe we can all rely on one another.”

Thelbar nods. “There is one other thing. I have not shared it with you until now, but if we are to travel within the lower realms, it could prove crucial; my brother and I are marked souls.”

“Marked?” Ilwe asks.

“We have a devil-mark upon us—we are hated, for the folly of our past lives, hated beyond all measure by the Infernal princes, and our souls have become objects of great desire among them. The demons of the Abyss are likely to recognize this, and we should not expect an easy time.”

Gorquen scoffs. “I had never imagined we would find anything less than hostility in Orcus’ realm. Devils or demons, it matters little.” After a moment, she adds, “And Solodrun agrees with me.”

The group returns to their activities, the priests go to prayer, and Thelbar (as is his habit when distressed) excuses himself to study alone. Taran and Gorquen sit drinking, their conversation muted and without any trace of its former playfulness.

“You know what,” Gorquen says. “If this turns out to be another bad idea, I hope everyone remembers your name for a change—I’m sick and tired of everyone saying ‘Hey, there’s Gorquen; we’ve been waiting for her to come and f-ck things up.’”

Derrick Reeves

First Post
So, Mr. (contact)... are you up to date with the Risen Goddess as well as the Liberation of Tenh? I only regularly check the Story Hour forum for updates on these two SHs... and I know I could become addicted to someone else's tale, and I've tried... but it's just not the same.

(Other, less civilised souls might have just writted "BUMP", but I would never make a post purely for the purpose of dragging a thread up to the front page. Honest.)

(contact)

Explorer
102—A frozen place where deeper dreams fester and burn.

“I’ve got it all figured,” Taran is whispering conspiratorially to Gorquen as the group marches through the streets of Sigil, back to the portal to the Abyss. “I took my headband off last night—don’t tell Thel.”

“You have what figured?” Gorquen asks wearily.

“Why Ishlok picked losers like me and you to go to Faerun and f-ck everything up.”

“No way, Taran. I’m not taking religious advice from you.”

“See, Ishlok chooses her Champions based on merit and past service—she has to know that they can take the heat; but she doesn’t guide them at all, once they are in the fire.”

“Well, that’s not true.”

“It isn’t?” Taran scowls at Gorquen. “The hell it isn’t! When was the last time she answered a divination for us? Why are we stuck asking Lathander for directions all the time?”

Gorquen scowls.

Taran continues. “By leaving us out in the cold, she is demonstrating the pasoun in action—self determination in all things, even for her direct mortal representatives. It shows her commitment to her values.”

Gorquen is laughing. “Did your familiar help you come up with that stupid theory? Ishlok is a goddess, Taran. You’d think she could have picked better Champions than us.”

“Well, I don’t know about Trezler, but I figured out about us three: I think Ishlok picked us because she knew we’d piss everybody off. All the friendly stuff? That’s just a smokescreen. We’re not diplomats—we’re the tip of the spear. If you want to start a fight with a whole world, send Gorquen and Taran.”

-----

The party has travels through the Hive-ward portal, and after a brief trek across the abyssal plain, stands before a second portal that leads directly to the realm of Orcus (called Tenebrous by his Faerunian worshippers).

Thelbar prepares a unique spell; he discovered this powerful summoning in a lost Sigilian library—a former celestial redoubt, now buried under centuries of city-growth in the Foundry Ward of Sigil. After painstakingly transcribing the spell from shattered parchment fragments, Thelbar was able to copy it into his spellbook, and prepare it against this journey. The spell is nothing less than the most puissant summoning Thelbar is aware of—it calls forth a small parcel of the very Light that serves as a sun in Mount Celestia.

As Taran says, “If you have to go to Hell, go big.”

As Thelbar finishes his spell, a tremendous glow emerges from a point in space just above his head, illuminating the Abyss as far as the eye can see, and piercing the plane’s aura of terror and inscrutability. Within this light, wicked creatures are revealed for what they are—terrified entities without realization at the core of themselves. This exposure manifests physically in their utter blindness. From horizon to horizon, the demons of the Abyss cannot see.

Basking in the light, Elgin Trelzer summons an elder earth elemental from the crust of the plane, and shields the party with a holy aura. Thelbar casts a series of protection from spells abjurations upon his friends, and Ilwe likewise prepares, rendering the group immune to flame and electricity.

Taran stands regarding the Abyssal terrain—viewed in the blinding light of Thelbar’s spell, it seems smaller somehow, safer. “Gorquen and I will need to be deaf,” he says flatly to his brother. “Hundreds of vrocks make some kind of fearful racket, I imagine, and it’s better safe than sorry.” Elgin Trezler casts a pair of deafness spells, and thus shielded from the terrors of Nar Tyr, the Champions of the Risen goddess step through the portal and into a massacre.

Of course, it was not a massacre prior to their arrival.

-----

The other side of the portal is the absolute low-point of an Abyssal valley; a narrow, miserly rivulet cutting an impossibly vertical chasm through craggy and dense-packed bands of black and grey stone. Stunted trees thrust scrawny trunks up through cracks in the valley walls, and as far as the eye can see, filthy vulture-headed vrocks sit and befoul their perches, calling raucously to one another across the narrow span.

“One hundred vrocks,” Thelbar has decided, was probably a scholar’s euphemism for “too many to count.” And the countless vrocks do in fact create a world-sundering screech at the first appearance of the celestial sun bursting into their reality and undermining everything they are.

Elgin Trezler calls an elemental swarm upon the scene, and follows it with an earthquake that rattles vrocks from their perches, and creates fissures in the earth that swallow them whole. Thelbar eradicates demons with sonic substituted meteor swarms and chain lightings.

Truth be told, few enough enemies even reach the characters to justify the protective spells spent warding Taran or Gorquen, but hindsight is always the father of economy. Taran spends a half-minute taking half-hearted swings at blinded and panicking demons, but there is really no need. Before a full minute has elapsed, the vrocks that survived the onslaught have fled, and the Champions hold the filth-encrusted field.

Thelbar allows the blinding glory spell to elapse, and suggests that the party may want to be gone before the layer’s rulers arrive to investigate the unannounced intrusion of Mount Celestia into the 313th layer of the Abyss. Thelbar teleports the group to the horizon, and after consulting their maps, they begin their overland flight to Nar Tyr.

-----

To say that Tenebrous’ realm is cold would be true, but it would not do the sensation justice. Certainly, there are places in the mortal realms that are colder; a strong adult human could survive this Abyssal chill. But there are no places common to mankind that can freeze a soul as quickly as Orcus’ meat-locker. Here, a traveler’s generous qualities become slow and languid in the chill, while the secret passions and hidden lusts of the heart flare up and nag at the mind. It is a confusing sensation, at once diminishing and aggrandizing; within this place, each being is encouraged by the very frost condensing from his breath to place himself first, foremost, and always.

If it comes down to it, I say we eat Gorquen first,” Taran thinks to Thelbar.

It would be better to starve than take such a meal here,” Thelbar snaps back. “Keep yourself focused, and keep your gallows humor to yourself.”

The landscape of this layer seems very familiar to Thelbar’s eyes; tightfisted rivers trickle between rolling hills, black water struggling forward beneath a thin layer of ice. There is no animal life to be seen, and a thin layer of frost sits on the landscape like dust in a neglected home. It could all pass for a particularly bad winter in a particularly bad part of a bad world, but here there is no potential for anything else—and this lack is so common, so pervasive, that it takes hours to notice.

The trees, the rock, even the sky itself is miserly and drab; this land will never know spring. There is no life waiting its turn, incubating under a blanket of snow. Here, the frost reaches icy tendrils deep within anything that does not move, and strangles it dead.

“If it comes down to it, I say we eat Gorquen first,” Taran says out loud, determining to try his joke on the rest of the party.

“F-ck you, Tar Ilou,” she replies distractedly, by rote. Elgin does not respond.

The hills slowly give way to another arm of the mountain-range that they just left, forming a horizon-to-horizon horseshoe, with Nar Tyr nestled into the concave section of its apex. Thelbar motions the party to land, and they consult an ancient map, purchased from a market-ward demonologist. That way lies the Home of the Dead.

Remove ads