D&D General The Role and Purpose of Evil Gods

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's not the issue. Offer Zuckerberg 100 million and he'll show up in a town of 300. The issue is that the town probably can't afford the wizard.

He'd tell you that the cost doesn't matter, because it is government service for paying taxes.

Good God man. Can't you just stop with the arguing for the sake of arguing? I agreed with you in multiple posts, including one where I quoted you that a character should be able to escape as part of their background. So yes, I have obviously been following the discussion. :rolleyes:

Good God Man why did you then say "Except for very rare exceptions, small villages probably won't even have locks that are that good" in response to my post? It was literally a post saying that Arcane Lock is cheaper and "more" reasonable than the glyph of warding. Not that it was reasonable, just that it was "more" reasonable.

Yes, I'm aware that a small village shouldn't have masterwork locks, but I can't even get to the part of small villages shouldn't have enchanted locks worth hundreds of gold, let alone saying the locks should be of poor quality.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He'd tell you that the cost doesn't matter, because it is government service for paying taxes.
Listen. I'm not arguing with him. I'm talking to you and agreeing with you.
Good God Man why did you then say "Except for very rare exceptions, small villages probably won't even have locks that are that good" in response to my post? It was literally a post saying that Arcane Lock is cheaper and "more" reasonable than the glyph of warding. Not that it was reasonable, just that it was "more" reasonable.
Because I'm agreeing with you that with very few exceptions, you'd be able to escape. Those very rare exceptions? When that small town just happens to have a retired powerful wizard who grew up there or something. It happens, but not often enough to really worry about.

You really can't help yourself can you? You have to argue with people, even if they are agreeing with you.

Mirtek

Hero
No, these are the costs. There isn't a seperate listing for NPC costs. If you want to play the "I just make up numbers game" we can play it. But it will render all conversation useless.
Well, that is what the designers did. There's no thought given to world building, just made up cost that sound right for PCs to pay without any regard to how that would work on an NPC economy.

Well, that is what the designers did. There's no thought given to world building, just made up cost that sound right for PCs to pay without any regard to how that would work on an NPC economy.
Exactly my point. This has been the way since 1ed. But I guess that some here don't agree with either what was in the real world and the simulationist point of view that D&D used to have (and still has to some degree).

What if it doesn't matter because it's a backstory? It's a one-off event in the character's life that occurred before the game started. They got lucky that time. If they hadn't gotten lucky, they would still be in jail and not in the game. You can ensure they never get that lucky again, if you like
It may not matter for you. But what if it is the utmost important thing for a table?

Faolyn

(she/her)
It may not matter for you. But what if it is the utmost important thing for a table?
You literally said that you require no more than a paragraph or two for a basic background, because you expect a lot of deaths at low levels. There is no possible way that this background is of the utmost importance for your table. And for tables where the background is that important? A jailbreak would be gold for the DM because of all the immediate plot hooks it would create. You're literally wanted by the law! The adventures, plural, write themselves from that background.

No, these are the costs. There isn't a seperate listing for NPC costs. If you want to play the "I just make up numbers game" we can play it. But it will render all conversation useless.
And yet, you would have to adjust the whole economy this way. They do say that the average peasant ever see a gold piece. How do they live? How do they pay their beer at the inn? How since they never see a gold piece? There are two economies in the D&D universe whether you like it or not.

No, my claim is that you started just making things up to justify calling something impossible. And considering that to defend it you want to just make up numbers...
Nope. Just doing the same thing as you do. I am using real examples but for you they do not align with your tastes so you decided that these numbers a bunk.

No, you need a massive difference in heat and cold. "Extreme" heat and cold is relative, since there are materials that boil at room temperature.
Power engineer here. So this is exactly my line of work. That some material will boils at room temperature are inconsequential. They will not be used to make prison walls. To have stone to explode or be seriously damaged you need both extreme heat followed by extreme cold or the reverse. Unless you take into account that ice can destroy stone, you would need water to be present already.

No, these are the prices, because guess what? The PC might end up BEING the local lord. I know it is impossible in your world, but the game does provide the "noble" background and nothing at all is written forbidding PCs from being the local lord. So, there is no reason to assume that the prices are going to change.
And guess what? These events were defined years ago in previous editions. Up to point of calculating the expected income in both cash and services expected to paid and received by various lords. You will notice heavy discount on certain goods depending on which resources a barony/duchy/county might have. The basic principle of commerce. And yes it also means that the PC that becomes the Lord of a barony will have a huge income comming his way. But not all that income will be in hard cash. This is where your lack of knowledge of previous editions shows.

Additionally, the casting was not declared free. You declared it was them paying their taxes. This means it has a monetary value. And there are official equations for how much casting a spell costs, and you will note if you go back and reference it, the larger part of the cost isn't coming from the components. Now, if you want to change it, AGAIN, so that the caster is forced to work for a month or so traveling from small village to small village providing thousands of gold of labor for "free" with no regard to what they actually owe in taxes... Well, it just goes to show that you really will stop at nothing to enforce your will despite any opposition.
Again you are wrong. The casting is free because it their way of paying their taxes. That is, service to the crown. Just like any military, the different castings are akin to a solider swinging a sword. He will not charge for each swing. This is an on the job payment. This way of paying people still exist today. Especially in the transport industry.

Well, that's dead wrong. We are using medieval logic remember? Pickpockets were sentenced to hang. The character who I proposed was never even accused of a crime in this thread, and you had him being executed next day.
Yep. Depending on the amount the pick pocket might be hanged. If you have the Waterdeep legal system, you will see that death is not automatic. Probable, but not automatic. But you discovered a corrupt official. Your chances of going to jail are next to nothing.

Also, just read your own frickin post. Pick pockets won't try to escape, but criminals will? Are you just not aware that stealing is a crime? And maybe the drunk DOES try to escape.
Again, there are degrees in various crimes and their sentences. Read the legal system of Waterdeep as a basis.

But if they do have a jail (like you forced the character I proposed into) it will be magically enchanted and capable of holding any sized creature.

Funny how I see a lack of evidence for this. But I guess that's par for the course at this point..
Strange, I could say the same thing of you. Hey, we're in a world of high magic. Temporal stasis is an excellent way of getting rid of a problem for quite a while.

And desertion is very different when instead of just being a bandit with a knife, you can call down the forces of nature to raze villages to the ground. But, hey, willful ignorance and not even understanding my post is just par for the course at this point..
And again, check yourself in the mirror.

Using the PHB is homebrewing? Wow. I thought I'd seen it all. You are just flat out shameless.
It shows that you do not even try. You simply want to argue at this point. As per usual.

You literally said that you require no more than a paragraph or two for a basic background, because you expect a lot of deaths at low levels. There is no possible way that this background is of the utmost importance for your table. And for tables where the background is that important? A jailbreak would be gold for the DM because of all the immediate plot hooks it would create. You're literally wanted by the law! The adventures, plural, write themselves from that background.
That does not mean that I would reject versimilitude and believability for a dubious background. The main point is not wheter or not the character escaped from jail but if he would have went into one in the first place. A corrupted official will not let a witness alive, especially after beating with success. But if you do it this way at your table, feel free to ignore mine. To each table its own.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That does not mean that I would reject versimilitude and believability for a dubious background. The main point is not wheter or not the character escaped from jail but if he would have went into one in the first place. A corrupted official will not let a witness alive, especially after beating with success. But if you do it this way at your table, feel free to ignore mine. To each table its own.
Again, there are very plausible ways for it to happen. In a small town it's plausible for the prisoner's hands to be bound by rope as he is being led to execution, and plausible for him to escape those bonds, run and after a long chase escape. Prisoners escape from modern jails every year here in the U.S. It's also plausible for an enemy of the corrupted official to arrange an escape. It's plausible for a monster attack to break a portion of the jail wall, allowing the prisoner to escape in the confusion. There are many plausible ways for that background to happen that don't break verisimilitude and believability.

Faolyn

(she/her)
There's nothing unbelievable about escaping from jail. There's also no reason to believe that a corrupted official would automatically murder a witness. That's unbelievable--to assume that all corrupted officials would act in that exact same way.

Remove ads