• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rotwood Archer (New Plant Creature)

Krishnath

First Post
This incidently is the first ever creature I created, comments are welcome as always.

Archer, Rotwood
Small Plant
Hit Dice:
1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 0'
AC: 14 ( +3 natural, +1 size)
Attacks: Spike +4* Ranged; Tentacle +2 Melee
Damage: Spike 1d4 and poison; Tentacle 1d3+1 and enzymes.
Face/Reach: 5' by 5'/ 5' (10' vine)
Special Attacks: Poison; Enzymes
Special Qualities: Plant; Heatsense
Saves: Fort +4, Ref - , Will -5
Abilities: Str 13, Dex - , Con 13, Int -, Wis 2, Cha 1

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and Tropical Marsh and Moist Forest (Rotwood)
Organization: Solitary or patch (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2 HD (Small), 3 HD (Medium Size)
* The Rotwood Archer gets a +3 racial bonus to attacks with it's ranged weapon (Shown in the stats.)

The Rotwood archer is a small carnivorous orchid native to the forest of Rotwood. The plant grows up to 3' in height and has large boulborous leaves that are blue-green in coloration. The flower itself is quite large for such a small plant and hides the plants main weapons a spike sack and up to four vine-like tentacles. The petals are usually colored in black and red, the red sometimes shifting into purple.

Combat:
The plant attacks anything radiating bodyheat of medium to tiny size that comes within 10' of it. Usually incapacitating it's victim with it's ranged weapon first, before dragging it closer and finishing the job, using enzymes on the end of it's tentacles to luqify it's pray before absorbing it through it's roots. The spike attack has a range increment of 10'.
Poison (Ex): If the target fails a Fort (DC 12) it becomes paralyzed for 3d4 rounds.
Enzymes (Ex): A victim paralyzed by the Archers spikes gets dragged towards the plant by it's tentacles. Each round a creature is in contact with the tentacles, it temporarily loses 1d2 points of constitution. The lost points return at a rate of one per day.
Heatsense (Ex): A rotwood archer automatically senses any living non-plant creature that comes within 10' of it.
Plant: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, an polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.

Well, what do *you* think? :D

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Instead of giving them a +3 racial bonus to hit, why dont you have intended targets of the spike make a Reflex save to avoid it?

Change the single spike attack to a a volley of spikes, making normal AC and "to hit" rules inapplicable. Any creature in the targetted area must make a Reflex Save or be hit by at least one spike.

The DC for the Reflex save would be 10 + 1/2 HD + ConBonus, or, for the rotwood archer 11 (10 + 0+ 1).

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
PS. now I have this image in my head of the spore-spitting orchids in the old Star Trek episode "This Side of Paradise."

lol

Krishnath

First Post
hmm, I never saw that episode... :D

I kinda like it this way though... I'll consider changing it.

More comments are welcome by anyone anytime :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
DnDChick said:
PS. now I have this image in my head of the spore-spitting orchids in the old Star Trek episode "This Side of Paradise."

lol

LOL i think i know what you're talking about. didn't they have something like that on lost in space too? ;)

Chimera

First Post
Hmmm....I kinda like it. I can see putting a few of these in the Dimwood, which is a forest full of undead. The endless horde of Shadows could herd Adventurers (those protected from the Shadows themselves) into clearings full of these things. Once the plants paralyze you, the Shadows swoop in for the kill. Nice symbiotic relationship.

Like the hail of spikes for reflex save. I can imagine a large one of these things looking like it is surrounded by a blanket of pine needles...and bones.

Now it just needs an advancement table.

Krishnath

First Post
But It does have an advancement scale, it goes all the way to 3HD (But you might increase one to large than that if you so desire.)

Remove ads