D&D General The Sad Tale of a HeroForge Death Knight

As an experiment I designed and made myself a death knight using HeroForge. It cost me $100. Here’s how it looked on the site after I’d finished designing it. I liked my death knight. I’d designed it from scratch using HeroForge. I was going to give it a name. Make it a named figure in games I wrote. But my dog ate it. Yep, I owned my $100 HeroForge death knight for less than 6 hours. It...

As an experiment I designed and made myself a death knight using HeroForge. It cost me $100. Here’s how it looked on the site after I’d finished designing it.

FA8CEFA8-C8B1-497C-8A01-216BBBFF7AD1.jpeg

It arrived broken, unfortunately, and took ages to get here due to Brexity shipping delays but otherwise I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. These things are not cheap though!

The broken sword is easily fixed with a spot of glue so I’m not too worried about that.

AEEB8367-1E29-4F32-8B89-7BDD5AF02B3A.jpeg

62A1B058-69DF-4B05-A1F2-FCEDF3BBF376.jpeg

I liked my death knight. I’d designed it from scratch using HeroForge. I was going to give it a name. Make it a named figure in games I wrote.

But my dog ate it.

Yep, I owned my $100 HeroForge death knight for less than 6 hours. It is now a mangled mass of plastic.

Life goes on. For me. Not for the death knight.

23551FDD-F9FD-45F8-A3B3-67A0BFB6BF9A.jpeg

The culprit​

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hero Forge has a current sale of the Premium Plastic minis with a promo code - 20% off (til the 21st I think)

I would love to get some, but they are just so expensive and the colored ones don't look that great to me. I'd get premium plastic and paint them myself, even if I am not a great painter. (I am disappointed to learn that the "premium" ones might be too fragile for normal use too). Has anyone tried touching up or re-painting a colored one?

I do like the idea of using the hero forge site for just creating images of NPCs to show the table.

Oofta

Legend
I thought I saw something about the premium plastic being improve and no longer as brittle.

Maybe I've just been lucky, they certainly don't have as much give as the plastic minis that you buy at the hobby shop.

Weiley31

Legend
I am pondering the idea of getting color minis for people as end-of-campaign mementos. We backed the color kickstarter, so some of those we have already paid for (which makes budgeting easier).
That's a pretty neat idea. I've thought about getting stuff from Heroforge as well, but I feel like I'd only do that for my characters once they hit like level 10 or 15. Spending all that money for your character's minature and then your PC dies at the start of the campaign is such a minature mood killer.

Stormonu

Legend
Damn Russ! I was about to suggest contacting Heroforge for a replacement when I got to "my dog ate it!" That sucks! But, have you tried contacting them? They might have mercy on you and send you a replacement (or at least offer a discount).

I've gotten minis from them for our group before they started making them in color and have been pretty pleased with the results. To me, they're best for one-offs (our group had a Kenku & Owlman in it) where off-the-shelf minis just don't cut it.

Remove ads

Remove ads