D&D General The Sales of D&D vs. AD&D vs. AD&D 2nd Edition

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

A1obCF-Ju2L.jpg

Benjamin Riggs shares some D&D history! This was posted on Facebook and shared with permission.

AD&D 2nd edition didn’t have the legs that AD&D 1st edition did. Combined sales of the 1st edition DMG and PHB actually went up at first, selling over 390,000 in 1980, over 577,000 in 1981, over 452,000 in 1982, and 533,000 in 1983 before finally sliding to just over 234,000 in 1984, at the time when TSR began its first crisis. Meanwhile, the 2nd edition DMG and PHB would never sell more than 200,000 copies in a single year after 1989. In short, 2nd edition wasn’t selling like its predecessor.

But if AD&D 2nd edition looks small in comparison to1st edition, both shrink before the altar of Dungeons & Dragons. Including 1st, 2nd edition, revised 2nd edition, and introductory sets, AD&D sold a total of 4,624,111 corebooks between 1979 and 1998. Meanwhile, D&D sold 5,454,859 units in that same period, the vast bulk of those purchases coming between 1979 and 1983.

TSR could no longer put up the sales numbers it once did. Even D&D, which sold better than AD&D in either iteration, didn’t sell in the 90’s like it did in the 80’s. What had changed? Something changed, but what was it? Was it that Gary Gygax was gone? Had something gone wrong with 2nd edition? Was a rule changed that shouldn’t have been? Was it too complex? Not complex enough? Had RPGs been a fad that faded? Should the AD&D lines be canceled entirely to focus on the historically better-selling D&D?

These numbers should have been an occasion for self-reflection and correction all over TSR.

But they weren’t.

These numbers were left in the offices of upper management. Zeb Cook himself said he never saw any concrete sales numbers for 2nd edition. The decision by management under Lorraine Williams to keep sales numbers like those above restricted to the top of the company must be seen as a mistake. The inability of the game designers to know how their product was selling cut them off from economic feedback on their product. I see those numbers, and what I read is that TSR’s audience bought the 2nd edition books, read them, and just weren’t crazy about them. (Although I myself am quite partial to the rules, as they are what I grew up playing.) But Zeb Cook didn’t know that, so how could he make changes to improve his craft in the future?

Benjamin went on to note his source: "I have a source who sent me a few pages of sales data from TSR. It's primary source material. I don't have everything, but I do have the data contained in the post above." He is currently writing a book on the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sometimes, it's just out of your control and the reason is because fads change. In the 80s, the satanic panic led to a huge number of sales (according to Tim Kask in an interview a few weeks ago) because people wanted to know what the big deal was. Any exposure is good exposure. In the 90s, that all died down and people changed to the next big thing (MtG and "emo edgy" Vampire). Now, D&D is back to being super popular again in pop culture so it makes sense. Is 5e a good game? Absolutely. But I think many of the sales are also driven by it being a popular fad again, and since it's easier to learn than it's predecessor, all the new players curious about it due to it being a popular fad again, can play it without feeling super overwhelmed. A combination of good timing and good design.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've always wondered about the 'Vampire Effect'. It seemed to me at the time that vampire was not so much taking gamers away from D&D as it was bringing new rpgers into the hobby; people who ordinarily would never have played D&,D in the first place.

I can only go by my anecdotal experience of the time, of course, but most the Vampire players did not play D&D. The felt it was way too vanilla. Not dark or emo enough for what they wanted. And they were almost all former D&D players, but Vampire allowed them all to better achieve their fantasies of being Lestat or Louie,or Gary Oldman's top hat wearing seductive vampire.

That would be my guess. I saw him speak at the last Gen Con and have been listening to his podcast, Plot Points (which I would recommend). Whenever possible, he relies on first-hand accounts and is quite diligent with his research.

Can not wait for that book. I wonder who his source is? Someone high up who would have those sequestered numbers?

The cultural impact of Vampire and the Storyteller System in the 90s cannot be understated. In my group, you could draw a distinct line between the types of characters (even in AD&D) that we were creating before V:tM and after.

-There was also a cultural shift; Vampire and to a lesser degree other games were taking things outside of the dungeon.

Thanks for the article. Some readers may be a bit thrown off by the term "Dungeons & Dragons" in contrast to AD&D, without a qualifier: "Original and Basic D&D".

Years ago (during the 4E era) I promoted the idea of simply and totally recreating the BECMI aesthetic, so that graphics-wise 4E looks exactly like BECMI (same Larry Elmore art, same font etc), since there are so many people (gamers and non-gamers) for whom that image is iconic. The Red Box image is etched into the popular consciousness, in a similar way as the look of the Monopoly box and font.

The number of Red Box customers affirms my perspective.

Soon after (coincidentally?), WotC released the retro-looking Red Box 4E Essentials Starter Set. And more recently, the Stranger Things retro Red Box in mass market venues. It'd be interesting to know how well these items sold.

I am also continually astounded of how WotC has chucked its Known World (Mystara) IP into the dustbin. Mystara wasn't even listed in the recent survey! This Known World was the world which ~5 million D&D customers were raised on. The hex map images of Threshold and the D&D Continent are iconic.

A few years back (at the start of 5E), Bruce Heard, former TSR D&D Brand Manager, and chief designer of the Known World, begged WotC to let him revive Mystara as a setting for 5E. He offered every means: to consult for WotC, to buy a license himself, etc. He was totally snubbed. And he vowed to never work with WotC corporatists again.

Same for The Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show. Why does WotC just toss its most pop-culture, multi-million-scale IPs into the trash?

-Shane T.

Hurin70

Adventurer
I think SMHWorlds put it best: one of the things that changed was competition, which became fiercer once DnD became a hit.

My group all started with D&D (BECMI, then AD&D), but after a few years of that we saw other systems we wanted to try too. The lure of critical hits (before DnD had them) and skills (again before DnD had them) led us first to MERP and then Rolemaster. By the late 80s, Rolemaster was our game of choice -- and still is for half my group (DnD having a hold on the other half).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
b. People who purchased the basic set to start with, or in addition to, the AD&D core rulebooks. Put another way, I can't think of anyone who didn't have (and play) AD&D who didn't also happen to have a copy of B/X or BECMI, just because.

Just to attest - I never owned B/X or BECMI. I think I first played a session of one of those editions... in the 3e era?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I admit I never put much weight into the competition argument. That competition in the late 80s early 90s is what led to the severe drop in D&D sales. Competition has literally been there since the beginning. Tunnels and Trolls, Runequest, Traveller, Gamma World, and Metamorphis Alpha (all popular games) all came out in the 70s before D&D really shot up in sales in the early 80s.

Then in the early 80s, we had BRP, the Hero system, Rolemaster, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, and Paranoia. Those are all popular game systems. By 1986 GURPS was out. So the competition has always been there.

Remove ads

Remove ads