D&D General The Satanic Panic never really died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagol

Unimportant
Also the Satanic-panic-panic has never died down.

The response for the OP should be pretty easy: "I love you mom. You did a good job raising me. D&D is a game. You don't actually practice real magic any more than you buy a real railroad when you play monopoly."

That said, of course fantasy RPGs and stories can spark an interest in the occult. I'm an engineer. Watching Star Trek definitely inspired that interest. I was a soldier. Playing "Army" when I was a kid inspired that interest.

Heck, start off with "Did you see your Horoscope in the paper today? Those divinations are getting better all the time."

I seem to recall a study which indicated that D&D players seem to have better than average ability to distinguish fantasy from reality.

Of course! Brilliant! Better than average ability to distinguish fantasy from reality would naturally also correlate with rejection of religion, thus potentially causing a false perception of causation between D&D and rejection of religious belief!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Of course! Brilliant! Better than average ability to distinguish fantasy from reality would naturally also correlate with rejection of religion, thus potentially causing a false perception of causation between D&D and rejection of religious belief!
Shhhhhhhhhh

Zardnaar

Legend
Broadly, yes. They are unevidenced claims informed by a particular faith position.

They're not doctrinal assertions according to any denomination - at least, as far as I know. But even the word occult issues from an antagonistic world view - its sense of "hidden' isn't really used any more; rather it's a religious pejorative with all kinds of value judgments attached.

I feel the question of whether something can or cannot be disproved (e.g. D&D spells don't actually work) isn't really germane, and doesn't really enter into it for someone who holds their religious views very closely. Upthread, there are some views expressed which are wholly unsympathetic; I understand, and sometimes I get frustrated too. But I think it's important to distinguish between the social phenomenon (intolerance, anti-intellectualism, psychology of fear), and the individual, who might be in a very different place.

If I were - say - an Evangelical Christian, I might be very concerned about many elements in D&D; it would be inconsistent if not downright reprehensible of me to encourage or allow my children to pretend to conjure demons. I lost a good (Evangelical) friend in my mid teens because he (or his parents) didn't approve of my demonocentric games - that was during the height of the Satanic Panic.

I do love me some demons.

Because Christianity does operate from a position of enculturated institutional power, there is a tendency to pound it pretty hard, understanding that it can take the knocks - it's also (for most of us, I'd venture) our cultural heritage. So it's sort of expected to bash it.

The individual people who comprise it are just people, however, and probably don't deserve to be bashed. And helping someone to change their lens - from the irrational to the rational - is a painfully difficult process, in which confrontation is seldom useful.

This is how I look at it. I'm not Christian but it's part of our heritage and it influenced the game as well. Sticks to snakes, water walk.

My Hindu friend wanted to go to a church so I took her and she prayed. Not sure who or what she prayed to didn't ask.

Mum was getting cancer treatment wanted to go to church so I took her ( She's was from out of town my city has some beautiful churches).

Both cases sit at the back and be respectful. Not for me but whatever.

In this situation you agree to disagree and Mom buys her daughter something else.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In the 80s I was approached by teachers who wanted to help people with learning issues and wanted to know about roleplaying games because they wanted a tool to teach socialization and other positive things. Everyone was not even blind during the heat of it

gyor

Legend
Oh, most of them have evolved past that? So you're saying I only need to worry about some of of those friendly looking church goers down the street literally burning me at the stake for my atheism? Phew! What a tremendous relief this is to learn!

I'm glad to be of service.

Gangrel44

Explorer
Reply to OP.

Yes, there are still people who think D&D is satanic.

I know several.

Heck, fully half of the players in one of my D&D campaigns were (during their childhood anyway) forbidden by their parents from reading literally every single work of fiction.
And how many of them still have anything to do with their parents afterwards?

I don’t think being a little conscientious and maybe being careful about singling someone out is an impossible standard.

I agree this is one of the better sites and Morrus is a reason why. Should I blindly be okay with whatever he says, then? Or, is it alright with you if I voice a problem or make a critique?
He reported on something that was highly visible on Twitter. If he did not post it someone else would have. You felt singling out the mother is bad form. So is singling out the owner of the website for merely reporting on something.
I am also sure your initial snarky comment was a great critique.

Where did I try to control what you were saying? Point that out to me.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Horoscopes can count as witchcraft these days believe it or not.

They do in Canada, but its more: "don't tell people what you're doing is real magic" on the basis that it prevents fraud, or more importantly gives the police the mans to arrest "real magicians" that bilk people out of money for a chance to talk to their deceased loved ones. Kind like a state sponsored Houdini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads