D&D 5E The state of 5e Cosmology and the Upcoming Planescape Slipcase

dave2008

Legend
The only thing I disagree with is the idea that anything that is written for any of the D&D books are due to them needing to be ready for some television or movie thing.
While I agree that has been the case, it seems the new book coming next year, Keys from the Golden Vault, may be going for some synergies with the movie.
  1. The are both heist themed
  2. The toy line mentions the "Golden Archive" and the book references the "Golden Vault." These may or may not be related.
Now, i just think is a marketing synergy. The D&D movie has a heist theme so they decided to make product that is a bunch of heist adventures. I don't think any real changes have been made to the RPG to accommodate the movie.

PS I don't have any issue with this approach.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
While I agree that has been the case, it seems the new book coming next year, Keys from the Golden Vault, may be going for some synergies with the movie.
  2. The toy line mentions the "Golden Archive" and the book references the "Golden Vault." These may or may not be related.
Now, i just think is a marketing synergy. The D&D movie has a heist theme so they decided to make product that is a bunch of heist adventures. I don't think any real changes have been made to the RPG to accommodate the movie.

Do you think they will be actual heist adventures, as opposed to Waterdeep Dragon Heist? I haven't read the new ad copy.

dave2008

Legend
Do you think they will be actual heist adventures, as opposed to Waterdeep Dragon Heist? I haven't read the new ad copy.
I believe that is the intent. It is not a campaign book, but an adventure compilation book. Each adventure is supposed to have a heist theme. From the Amazon page:

"Greetings, adventurer. You’ve snuck in and found a wondrous treasure! Keys From the Golden Vault is a Dungeons & Dragons adventure anthology with a heist at the center of every tale. Nothing else is yet known about the contents of this tome, but keep an eye on your favorite D&D news sources for your first sneak peek inside."

So I'm guessing one or two of those adventures will get it right ;)

Micah Sweet

I believe that is the intent. It is not a campaign book, but an adventure compilation book. Each adventure is supposed to have a heist theme. From the Amazon page:

"Greetings, adventurer. You’ve snuck in and found a wondrous treasure! Keys From the Golden Vault is a Dungeons & Dragons adventure anthology with a heist at the center of every tale. Nothing else is yet known about the contents of this tome, but keep an eye on your favorite D&D news sources for your first sneak peek inside."

So I'm guessing one or two of those adventures will get it right ;)
I wonder if the actual heists will all have some sort of moral underpinning (ie, robbing from bad people). That seems in keeping with the "hero" stance modern D&D is pushing.

The Prison Revel's End in your Icewind Dale that was featured in Frost Maiden's Tale or whatever that adventure was called was created by Chris Perkins specifically for the Honor Among Thieves movie.

dave2008

Legend
I wonder if the actual heists will all have some sort of moral underpinning (ie, robbing from bad people). That seems in keeping with the "hero" stance modern D&D is pushing.
Possibly. Though I feel like D&D has always had a "hero" stance. At least that is how I have felt since I started playing in the '80s. So I am not sure this will be anything different than standard D&D. That being said, since there will be several adventures around this theme I would think they would try to tackle it a few different ways.

Micah Sweet

Possibly. Though I feel like D&D has always had a "hero" stance. At least that is how I have felt since I started playing in the '80s. So I am not sure this will be anything different than standard D&D. That being said, since there will be several adventures around this theme I would think they would try to tackle it a few different ways.
I would hope so, as stealing is generally not a heroic act.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

Doing synergies is one thing if you can get lucky and have no delays on either side. But I seriously doubt there will be anything in any of these adventures that the movie producers took or that Hasbro executives gave to make sure the D&D movie "matched" what the book has.

But that's much different than the people who are saying that there's some grand command from up on high at Hasbro telling the D&D designers to put X, Y, and Z in some book so that it can be used at some future point in a movie or tv show. Those kinds of comments are ridiculous.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
So, exactly what Dragon Heist does. The adventure has 4 possible antagonists and all of them are bad people. I think one of them is Chaotic Neutral (Jarlaxle Baenrae), but all of the rest are solidly evil (Xanathar, the Cassalanters, Manshoon).

And I agree with @dave2008. D&D has basically always had a "hero" stance for its adventures.

Micah Sweet

So, exactly what Dragon Heist does. The adventure has 4 possible antagonists and all of them are bad people. I think one of them is Chaotic Neutral (Jarlaxle Baenrae), but all of the rest are solidly evil (Xanathar, the Cassalanters, Manshoon).

And I agree with @dave2008. D&D has basically always had a "hero" stance for its adventures.
Not always, and not all the time, but for a while, certainly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases