D&D (2024) [+] The things I like about D&D One Playtest, and the things I LOVE!

pantsorama

Explorer
I like how inspiration spills out into the group. Not only does it deny luck accumulating to one lucky player, it promotes group cohesion and rewards knowledge of what the other players are doing and how they might contribute in a given situation.

I love the increased access to feats. Feats are ribbons and I have always thought they should be less powerful, but more available as they give the player customization options that make the gameplay less rinse-repeat. I hope they separate them from ASIs COMPLETELY. ASIs vs Feat makes the opportunity cost WAY too high to ever take all but the most powerful feats, unless you are SAD or get extra feats as part of your class.

I like the stated goal of separating culture and race. I think the races as presented could use some more of that energy. Genetics as destiny is just gross, and lets bury it.

I LOVE no crits for baddies - IF it is coupled with unique "regenerating" monster powers. Give them other ribbons so that each monster (or even role played by that monster) gives each one a unique feel. Again (if they do this, and I think they will) this make each combat unique and engaging - much moreso than worrying about a crit. Unique monster abilities was one of the best things in 4e (Kobold Vermin Handlers won me over so hard). I am sad they didn't continue with this direction in 5e, but it looks like it may be back - which is fabulous!

Remove ads