D&D (2024) [+] The things I like about D&D One Playtest, and the things I LOVE!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Since this is a + thread I will not comment anything as most things I like come with "I like xxx, but..."

and everything said before "but" is horse sh##

Mod Note:
"How can I drop a negative note into a + thread and not get caught?"

Not this way, sirrah. Not that it matters, but you won't be posting in this topic again.

Next time, resist the urge to threadcrap. Just accept that not all threads are for you.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Agree with much of what’s been posted and very happy to see that combat during long rest has at last been clarified!

A2Z

Explorer
I like that the new tiefling's all have varying appearances even within legacies. It seems like a real shift back to their 2E origins. I will love it if their art going forward reflects this as well.

Gadget

Adventurer
I actually like the way they did the half races. I know that many complain about it, but I can see how trying to come up with an entry for each possible combination would be difficult, not to mention hard to maintain going forward as new races are introduced. And letting players pick and choose from each would be a min/maxing nightmare.

I like, at least so far, how they have introduced levels to feats as a way to bring them under control and enforce some measure of balance on them. In the past couple of Editions, feats were always out the center of min/maxing horrors, which is why they were more restrained and optional in 5e.

I like the division of spell lists into the main three, and see it as long overdue. Of course, there is a lot to still see here.

I like that monsters do not crit, as it simplifies them more and makes CR estimates somewhat easier. It goes further down the 4e road of Monsters & NPCs having different mechanics from PCs, more suited to their purpose in the game. I do hope they give more monsters "rechargeable" abilities though.

I like the background focus, as I see "race" becoming more and more of a hot-button issue (both in and out of game) that they would want to shift more of the heavy lifting to backgrounds. I foresee a time when race is largely a cosmetic option that is selected.

Tutara

Adventurer
I think it’s moving in a very good direction. I love the increased modularity and the fact that what you did before adventuring is what forms the basis of your character. I think I’ll hold off on a full assessment before I see the other bits and pieces, but a lot of what is happening is in line with the way I have been playing and DMing for the past five years.

I very much recognise the DNA of the way I actually play the game in the current changes!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I actually like the way they did the half races. I know that many complain about it, but I can see how trying to come up with an entry for each possible combination would be difficult, not to mention hard to maintain going forward as new races are introduced. And letting players pick and choose from each would be a min/maxing nightmare.
What I like the most about it is that they've taken what I've been doing since my BECMI days and are thinking of making it "official". These are basically the rules I've been using for "half-elves" and "half-orcs" and "half-goblins" and so on for decades. Always nice to see someone else think your idea is a good one :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I like:
  • Getting rid of subraces for the races that don't need them (Dwarves and Halflings)
  • A defined niche for High Elves in this ruleset beyond "Wizard Elves"
  • Increased scaling mechanics for races (which usually were a "one and done" mechanic from the 2014 PHB, where you would pick your race, write down its mechanics, and then never come back to it later in the campaign).
  • Natural 20s giving Inspiration
  • Humans being useful beyond just a free feat at level 1, and being able to be small
  • A celestial counterpart to the Tiefling being in the PHB (though I would have preferred Aasimar)
  • The better scaling of the Dragonborn's Breath Weapon
  • Dragonborn getting Darkvision
  • Fey Ancestry giving advantage on saving throws made to end the Charmed condition (not just to avoid it), which also applies to Brave for Halflings
  • The expanded usage of Gnomish Cunning to all Int, Wis, and Cha-based saving throws
  • Thieves' Cant and Druidic being languages anyone can learn (which was a bit confusing in the 2014 PHB)
  • The Skilled Feat being repeatable.
  • A term, "d20 Tests", that covers all "ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws", so you don't have to write that all the time as a homebrewer.
  • The changes to Unarmed Strikes
  • Clarifications on what can interrupt a Long Rest
  • The Slowed Condition
I love:
  • Arcane, Divine, and Primal Power Sources coming back
  • The removal of Half-Races as full races (due to the slippery slope that was)
  • Dwarves getting Tremorsense
  • Orcs being in the PHB
  • Tiefling being expanded to cover all Fiends again
  • Common Sign Language
  • All of the changes to Backgrounds. All of them. They're amazing, and I love them.
  • Feats becoming the default.
  • Feats being separated by the level you can take them (and the fact that Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Monster aren't included)
  • Making Inspiration more important and built into the system.
  • The extent that WotC were willing to go in this Playtest.

Remove ads