The Tournament of Flowers, Part II [Orsal Judging][Concluded]

Patlin

Visitor
Manzanita said:
OOC: Rowan can move to O-2, threat range for his guissarme, but can't charge/attack.
The badguy is "Th" at M,-2. From O-2, I think you're just threatening the table. ;)
 

El Jefe

Visitor
Patlin said:
A small glowing ball soars through the open doorway and explodes just behind Rowan.
As the tiny bead sped toward him, Boog instinctively knew that he had to turn away from it. He felt the Companion steal some of his Power, not to eliminate the damage, but to guide his movements. This was as successful as it could be; Boog felt the painful heat searing away at his back, a painful burn that wouldn't heal for days, yet he escaped the worst of the mage's fiery bomb.

"Spread out! Or he'll use that thing to cut us all down at once!", he commanded to his companions through the mindlink. As for himself, he wanted nothing more than to press forward into the room, getting close enough to the spellcaster to use his own Power on him.[sblock=OoC: ]Using Elan Resistance as an immediate action to gain a bonus on the saving throw: 13/16 PP remaining. Save is 18+5=23, wasting a power point but still taking half damage. 13/19 HP remaining. On his turn, he will move to O03 (first choice) or P03 (second choice) if either of those options are available, and manifest Psionic Suggestion. If that's not possible, Boog will double move toward P3, probably ending up in Q-3 or thereabouts.[/sblock]
 

Manzanita

Visitor
Patlin said:
The badguy is "Th" at M,-2. From O-2, I think you're just threatening the table. ;)
OOC: Rowan's intent is to approach to threaten, so that he can strike if the spellcaster tries to cast another spell. Rowan's weapon is a reach type, so he can only threaten someone 10 feet away, not 5 feet. Correct?
 

Patlin

Visitor
ooc: I see what's got me confused. o-2 means o,-2. I was interpreting it as o,2. Sorry for the confusion!
 

Patlin

Visitor
Code:
  A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |Y |Z

-9  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-8  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-7  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-6  |  |  |  |[]|[]|[]|[]|DD|[]|[]|[]|[]|oo|[]|[]|[]|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-5  |  |  |  |[]|  |[]|  |  |  |ht|ht|ht|  |  |  |P3|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-4  |  |  |  |[]|dd|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-3  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-2  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |Th|  |Ro|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-1  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ch|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
00  |  |  |  |[]|XP|  |  |  |  |  |  |ta|ta|ta|  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
01  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |VM|  |Ju|ch|  |ch|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
02  |  |  |  |[]|[]|[]|dd|[]|[]|[]|[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
03  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |Bo|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
04  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
05  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
06  |[]|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|dd|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
07  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
08  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
09  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
10  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
11  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
12  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
13  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
14  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
15  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |[]|  |  |  |  |
16  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
17  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
18  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
19  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
20  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
21  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
22  |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|  |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
23  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
24  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
25  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
26  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
 

Patlin

Visitor
Round 1 Concludes

As the fireball explodes, all three adventurers evade the worst of it, taking only 6 damage each. Boog isn't able to expend the power (immediate actions cannot be used flat footed) but succeeds all the same.

The three adventurers rush into the room, taking the positions noted in the above map, and Boog manifests suggestion to no effect. As Rowan rounds the corner he sees his brother chained to the wall!

Round 2 Begins
Throndred backs uo to I-5 (Rowan may roll an AOO) and once more yells "Incinerate!" A fireball once more engulfs all three heroes. Same DC, Boog should elect which immediate action he intends to use before damage is rolled.
 

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana takes the brunt of the fireball. She rushes forward to make a trip attempt on the wizard.

OOC:
Juliana's second Reflex Save (1d20+2=12)
Juliana's Trip Attack (1d20+4=11). If that hits a touch ac, Juliana's contested trip (1d20+6=12). If he beats that
Juliana's contested trip resist (1d20+2=5). If he beats that, she'll drop the weapon.
If she actualy trips him, Juliana's trip followup attack (1d20+4=9, 2d4+3=9) vs a prone opponent.

Hopefully, she'll just miss and get these rolls out of her. IC hates me :(
 

Manzanita

Visitor
OOC: I should note that Rowan has been approved for 3rd level. My rolls. save 11+2=13. fail. AoO: 13+4=17. If that hits, dmg = 7.

Rowan is surprised to be engulfed in flame a second time and doesn't avoid it. He takes a swipe at the spellcaster as he casts.
 

El Jefe

Visitor
Patlin said:
Throndred backs uo to I-5 (Rowan may roll an AOO) and once more yells "Incinerate!" A fireball once more engulfs all three heroes. Same DC, Boog should elect which immediate action he intends to use before damage is rolled.
As the second fireball erupted, Boog once again felt the companion pushing him out of the way. Boog was learning, and thought he had dodged the blast by himself, but the guidance of the Companion ensured that it was so. New blisters appeared where tiny wisps of flame sprouted from the main blast to sear Boog's flesh.

Boog followed his partners, scrambling over a chair and racing after the mage. The telepath focused his Power on his enemy, trying to seize control of his mind. "You should toss that wand to me and let me try it for a bit", he demanded of his opponent.[sblock=OocC: ]OK, not using Resistance last turn backs Boog up to 14/16 PP, Suggestion drops him down to 11/16. He'll use Resistance this turn and (barely) wastes a PP, since he would have just made the save otherwise: 14+5=19. That puts him at 10/16 PP and whatever half damage is: 7/19 HP or thereabouts. Boog should have enough movement to make it to L-1 if the chair at M01 counts as 3 squares. At L-1, he'll take his second attempt at Psionic Suggestion, which should drop him down to 7/16 PP.[/sblock]
 

Patlin

Visitor
Round 2 Continues
Rowan (AOO) slashes at the wand wielder for 7 damage as he moves warilly away from the big man.

Rowan and Julianna take the full brunt of the 12 hp fireball, while Boog takes only 6 damage.

Julianna tries to sweep Throndred's legs out from under him with her weapon, but in the struggle it is knocked from her grip.

[Rowan goes here.]

Boog demands that Throndred toss him the wand. Throndred's eyes glaze over for a moment.

Round 3 Begins
Throndred tosses the wand to Boog, and his eyes regain focus. With a curse, he steps away from Rowan (who is likely to be nearby) and pulls out a scroll.

ooc: Impromptu DM ruling: tossing a wand to someone is a standard action that doesn't draw an AOO. I don't think it's as difficult as a ranged attack, but it's something more than a free drop.
 

Manzanita

Visitor
Round 3:
Rowan steps forward (if necessary) & also tries to trip and strike his opponent. He allows himself to slip into gleeful rage at the prospect of killing his brother's kidnapper.

OOC: Rage gives 19 str, AC of 14, & HPs of 24 (incl 6 short term hps). Rolls. Trip attack(melee touch) 18. Probably good. Trip roll: 26. Outstanding. Rowan will drop his guissarm in the unlikely event that this fails. Attack roll: 10. Probably no good even with against a prone defender (-4 AC). If he hits, though, the dmg is 11
 

Patlin

Visitor
Previously
Rowan trips the wand wielder, but fails to impale him with his follow up stroke.

Since he can't step away from Rowan while on the floor, drawing out the scroll provokes an AOO from Rowan.

[Need actions from everyone, including both AOO and next action from Rowan.]

Edit to Clarify: The above action from Rowan happened in round 2, not in round 3 as indicated in Manzanitas post. Unless I'm confused again, of course, but I think I'm all over this one so far. ;)
 

Patlin

Visitor
Initiative (hp, buffs & conditions)
Throndred (7 Damage)
Julianna (11 of 29 hp, Thicken Skin(19 normal +1 = AC 20, Mindlink)
Rowan (18 of 36 hp, Mindlink)
Boog (7 of 19 hp, Mindlink)
 

Manzanita

Visitor
OOC: Right - that was round 2. Thanks, Patlin. By the way, is that a real picture of a miniture you painted as your new avatar. I need to know, you see, because I might need to tease you about it later.

IC: Rowan smiles as the wizard(?) draws out his scroll, allowing Rowan another strike. He continues hewing at the prone figure, not making any attempt to parley.

OOC2: Roll 1. AoO round 3 seems to miss. regular attack is quite good (if he gets a chance to take it). 26 to hit; 12 dmg. Crit confirm 26;10. Wow. Can you score another crit on top of a crit? No. But its worth 22 pts dmg if it goes through.
 

Patlin

Visitor
Code:
  A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |Y |Z

-9  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-8  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-7  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-6  |  |  |  |[]|[]|[]|[]|DD|[]|[]|[]|[]|oo|[]|[]|[]|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-5  |  |  |  |[]|  |[]|  |Th|  |ht|ht|ht|  |  |  |P3|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-4  |  |  |  |[]|dd|[]|  |  |  |Ro|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-3  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |Ju|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-2  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-1  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ch|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
00  |  |  |  |[]|XP|  |  |  |  |  |  |ta|ta|ta|  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
01  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |VM|  |Bo|ch|  |ch|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
02  |  |  |  |[]|[]|[]|dd|[]|[]|[]|[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
03  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
04  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
05  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
06  |[]|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|dd|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
07  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
08  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
09  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
10  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
11  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
12  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
13  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
14  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
15  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |[]|  |  |  |  |
16  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
17  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
18  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
19  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
20  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
21  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
22  |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|  |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
23  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
24  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
25  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
26  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
 

Manzanita

Visitor
OOC: Round 3 edit: I just realized guissarms do x3 dmg on a crit. One more roll gives another 11 pts dmg. So if that crit happens, it does 33 pts. Take that you kidnapper of my brother!
 

Patlin

Visitor
Manzanita said:
OOC: Right - that was round 2. Thanks, Patlin. By the way, is that a real picture of a miniture you painted as your new avatar. I need to know, you see, because I might need to tease you about it later.
Yeah, I decided funny looking picture of a miniature I painted would be better than funny looking picture of me. Hey, at least this one's in color! :)

Ouch! Huge critical. If Julianna hits as well, that's probably it for the battle.
 

El Jefe

Visitor
Patlin said:
Throndred tosses the wand to Boog, and his eyes regain focus.
Boog grabbed the wand and slipped it into a pocket. He struggled to limit himself to a quick "Hah!" of celebration, but it felt wonderful to be the hammer instead of the nail for once.
Patlin said:
With a curse, he steps away from Rowan (who is likely to be nearby) and pulls out a scroll.
"If it worked once, it might work again", thought Boog to himself as he shifted his position to keep his opponent within the short range of his Power. "You should fold that scroll into a dart and sail it over to me for safekeeping", he called as he reached into the other's mind with his own, striving to twist it to his will.[sblock=OoC: ]Not sure if I need to roll anything to snag the wand on the fly or to pick it up off the ground, but it's probably worth a move action to me to do so. I presume it's only a 5-foot step at most to keep Throndred within Boog's 30' range. If not, forget using a move action to deal with the scroll, Boog will move to keep Throndred at the edge of his range. Couple all that with a standard action to manifest Psionic Suggestion again, which should put Boog at 4/16 PP.

Uh, and as an aside, I assume that scholars know how to make paper (or parchment) darts, even if nobody calls them "paper airplanes" yet since the airplane hasn't been invented.[/sblock]
 

Patlin

Visitor
Manzanita said:
OOC: Round 3 edit: I just realized guissarms do x3 dmg on a crit. One more roll gives another 11 pts dmg. So if that crit happens, it does 33 pts. Take that you kidnapper of my brother!
ooc: Ah, heck! That makes Julianna's hitting or missing moot. Morale of story: don't mess with Rowan's relatives!

ic: Julianna draws her back up weapon and smacks the artificer with it.

Rowan's Polearm comes down in a mamoth blow, smashing through the enemies armor and caving in his chest cavity.
*End of Combat*
 

Advertisement

Top