The Tournament of Flowers, Part II [Orsal Judging][Concluded]

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Can't link to Order of the Stick strips published in Dragon, but if anyone has issue 340 turn thou to the last page, numbered 98. :)

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
"Something attacks me." says the third. "Is it you? Do you dare to assault us in our own house, when we have accepted you as guests?"
[sblock=Ooc: ]It's not clear to me that the monk would know who had manifested a power, just that someone had. If you wish, for sake of argument, we can agree that the individual was perceptive enough to notice Boog staring off into space, and is addressing him instead of Rowan or some other bystander.

Also, I don't know which monk made his save. The one Rowan is talking to, or one of the others? I'll keep Boog's reply neutral on that for now...[/sblock]It worked! Not quite as well as Boog hoped, but it was a beginning. He could read minds without the owner's permission, and sometimes without the owner even knowing it!

However, the present situation seemed embarrassing, even if Boog wasn't quite sure what he should be embarrassed about. He had neglected to consider the consequences of failure...

"There is no attack", the telepath stated flatly. "I seek only to practice my skills." He addressed the one who resisted his probe more directly. "You have a strong mind. Had I intended to do some harm, you would have been unscathed." Had Boog the sense to nod in respect, the exchange might have even come off as a compliment. As it was, the situation was no less awkward.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: The monk seems to have been guessing as to the source of the tingle, and concievably could have been thrown off by a bluff check or something... I agree with your rules interpretation, though. Boog had been aproching Monk #2.

What a strange and unsavory person... thinks Monk #1.
Good order must be maintained, even though our guest is rude... thinks Monk #2.

Monk #3 pauses, before saying in unfriendly tones "It is customary to request permission before practicing magical arts on another, no matter how harmless the arts may be. In my youth, before I settled in the monastery, I have seen duels started over less."

I wonder, there is something alien about this one. Is it quite human? thinks Monk#1.
Aramist shows admirable restraint. It is good. Thinks Monk#2.

Manzanita

First Post
Rowan rolls his eyes. That's the last time he's going to trust this weirdo. "Hey, listen. The guy's, you know." He gives the monk's a concerned expression. "We are really trying to help. Can you remember anything odd about Xu Phung or Ton Mei? Can you direct us to anyone who knew them well?"

Rowan also examines their remaining equipment for signs of lycanthropy. He's actually figuring this is probably a dead end, and hope Juliana and Kirin have better luck.

Patlin

Explorer
"They travelled here specifically for the Tournament, and were not well known here." The monk replies. His anger appears diverted a bit, perhaps this can be made to blow over. It occurs to Boog that if others were to wander into the spell's area of effect, though, they might notice that his spell was still active.

Looking into the small pile of effects left behind by the two kidnapping victims, you don't find much that's terribly usefull. However, it does seem that Ton Mei left a journal amongst the items. Paging through it, you identify a few entries which might help. (To follow shortly...)

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
"It is customary to request permission before practicing magical arts on another, no matter how harmless the arts may be. In my youth, before I settled in the monastery, I have seen duels started over less."
Boog's first instinct was to correct the man, he hadn't used magic at all. He rejected that as irrelevant; he doubted the man's feelings toward being subjected to the use of Power would be any different than his feelings about being subjected to magic.

Boog's second instinct was to just use one of his other powers to make the monk shut up. Even if he'd resisted Boog's Power once, it was doubtful that he could resist a continued onslaught. But he might get in a punch or two in the interim, and Boog had had enough of that the day before. Besides, he was here to track down Xu Pnug's abductors, not infuriate the entire monastery.

The elan finally came around to the response he selected. After all, it hadn't been the first time that some bit of manners he'd learned as a boy, then unlearned during the Change had come back to bite him. Might as well make amends. His reply was as terse as it seemed inscrutable: "Then I will take note of this custom, and consider it when I am outside these walls."
Patlin said:
I wonder, there is something alien about this one. Is it quite human?
"Ah", thought Boog quite bitterly, "if only you knew. Part of it is still human...part of it."
Patlin said:
Aramist shows admirable restraint. It is good.
"Yes, quite good", wound the thoughts wordlessly through Boog's mind. "Good for Aramist, that is!"

Patlin

Explorer
"We've arrived early for the tournament that Xu Phung wishes to enter, and have obtained rooms in the Verdant Inn. Xu Phung doesn't wish to head to the monastery too early, as he seeks to find glory rather than friends on this trip. The villagers here seem to look upon us with suspicion, though it's not clear to me why. Our coin spends as well as anyone elses, after all."

then later...

"It seems that the villagers are upset about some sort of animal killing last night. They're whispering amongst themselves in the common room that it might be some sort of Werewolf. Fools! No such creatures actually exist, they're merely superstitions. Perhaps a real wolf made the kill, that's certainly possible, but they're letting old stories and the full moon run away with them."

and a bit later...

"It seems that their are only a few out of towners in the village at the moment, and the villagers seem to think one of us might be the 'werewolf.' How droll! We've achieved mythic status here, and we haven't even won the tournament yet!"

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
It occurs to Boog that if others were to wander into the spell's area of effect, though, they might notice that his spell was still active.
Ooc: Boog gets 3 minutes of duration, and after all the trouble this has caused so far, he's determined to get his PP's worth! :lol:

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: I'd like to comment on this journal, and almost did. Then I remembered that Rowan can't read!

IC: "Um. Boogster. Listen. Can you read this to me?" He thrusts the journal into Boog's chest, then begins to steer him away from the other monks. "Thanks a lot!" he says to them over his shoulder. "This may be just the clue we're looking for."

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
"Um. Boogster. Listen. Can you read this to me?"
Boogster? Surely the good-looking man knew Boog's name. Maybe he was just flustered by the combination of the awkward situation with Boog's attempt at reading minds and his own inability to read Ton Mei's journal. At any rate, there was no need to deny him the knowledge he sought.

"Yes, I can", came the reply. Boog smirked, "You do want me to read it to you, yes?" He wondered if the joke was wasted on the rustic adventurer.

Boog proceeded to read the most relevent portions of the journal to Rowan, glancing up at intervals to see if anyone new had wandered into the range of Boog's manifested Power.

Remove ads