• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Troubadour's Travels - Low Magic [D&D 3.5/G'n'GR] [Recruiting]

Ilja

First Post
A poet travels from village to village. At the light of fire, he tells tales of ancient wars, brave heroes and cruel deeds. His fingers dance over the strings of the lyre to bring out enchanting tunes, and his the songs that leave his lips will forever be etched in the memories of his audience. He travels through northern Consaber in the dying remnants of the late summer, staying at alehouses and inns where people flock around him.

But his tunes attract people other than farmers and artisans too; soon armed men are seen in the villages he's passed. They ask, threatens, and bribes the inhabitants to make them tell everything they know about the troubadour and where he's heading.

You have been employed by an organization to find this man, and find out why he's being hunted. Either you are members of the organization, or you are merely mercenaries hired by them. In the second case, you don't know much about your employers, except that the man who hired you looked both rich and powerful.

This is a low-magic adventure/campaign I'm about to start. It takes place in a half-homebrew version of a swedish RPG setting called Mundana, a medium fantasy but low magic world. Magic exists though uncommon, but wizards aren't very likely to adventure, as it is more of an academic pursuit and since using magic when stressed is very dangerous. Mages are extremely powerful, but more in terms of political power than spellcasting.

Setting: Mundana, as mentioned. Especially in the kingdom of Consaber.
Rule system: D&D 3.5 with Grim'n'Gritty Revised.
Technology level: Late medieval; about the same as D&D.
Starting level: 2, allowing for multiclass.
Allowed classes: Barbarian, fighter, monk, ranger*, rogue, scout, swashbuckler. No multiclassing penalties at all.
*No spells version from Complete Warrior
Allowed resources: Most things from WotC, as long as it keeps away from spellcasting or too supernatural. If you want something from a 3rd-party, just ask. I'm not very strict.
Attributes: Array, choose one of these:
15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10
16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8

Other home rules:
No alignments.
No critical hit effects as they are described in G'n'GR. I will simply decide a critical effect when a critical hit takes place (they do in the same way as G'n'GR, that is most often when you beat the defense roll by 10 or more).
Languages: There is no "common" language, each country has it's own language. However, the most common in the region this takes place is sabrian, the main language in Consaber. Also, literacy isn't free. One skill rank - understand and talk the language. Two ranks - literacy. And Speak Language is simply an intelligence based skill, instead of intelligence giving bonus languages. Much simpler.
E6. Max level is 6, after that you spend 5000 xp to get a bonus feat.
Flat Sneak Attack: Sneak attack adds +2 damage per normal 1d6 SA damage.
Alternate Saves Progression: Base saves equal half character level, +2 if any of the characters classes has it as a good save.

Game World and Character Thread

Last edited:

Toptomcat

First Post
Would you have a problem with the Book of Nine Swords if I stayed away from the overtly supernatural schools like Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit?

Ilja

First Post
Would you have a problem with the Book of Nine Swords if I stayed away from the overtly supernatural schools like Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit?

Well, I don't have access to it so I can't really know what's in it, but it should be no problem when it comes to feats and skill uses :). Just write what feats and the like do. For PrC's and equipment, I'll try to incorporate it, but it's to be on a case by case basis. Playable races are those listed though.

Toptomcat

First Post
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. The Bo9S is a book that introduces an entire new system for melee-types that mirrors spellcasting- with three new core classes and nine schools of spell-analogues called maneuvers. It more closely emulates the kung-fu-movie, 'showier' fighter-types that I prefer to play, but on closer examination of the classes you have listed I think its base classes will be out of balance with them in the level range covered by E6. Plus, I wouldn't want you to have to deal with an entire new system in a book you haven't read.
I'd like to give a monk a whirl, instead. Would you object to material from the Book of Exalted Deeds?

Last edited:

Ilja

First Post
Ah, actually saw a few things from th Bo9S now, and you're right, it would be quite hard to incorporate it. I've got no objections to a monk, but BoED has a major problem - it's so dependant on alignment and the supernatural. There are no alignments in Mundana, and good or evil are not natural forces like they are in for example Faerûn. Good or evil might be goals for a hero or villain, but they don't carry any supernatural power.
If you could "convert" the good/evil aspect into a more mundane, albeit heroic, aspect, then it should be no problems though.

wysiwyg

First Post
I'd like to try for this campaign. I love E6 even though I never played it. I also like the low level magic world. Can I build a Warblade from Bo9S. There are no alignment requirements, and he will have no supernatural abilities to fit into your world.

I noticed that you have taken a 28-point buy for starting characters. May I suggest that you might consider a higher value since it is a low magic world and stat bonuses will (partially) compensate for lack of magical items. Maybe a 36 point buy. Either way it's fine with me.

I have actually made a PC already (for a higher level E6 campaign) that never got off the ground.

What's starting wealth like? Are there any maps/materials for this campaign?

doghead

thotd
Low magic. GnG. E6.

Lovely.

Good to see that someone is still carrying on the tradition. And an interesting opening as well. Sounds like the perfect game. Only wish I was in the position to jump in. Oh well.

I wish you luck with this.

doghead
aka thotd

Ilja

First Post
I'd like to try for this campaign. I love E6 even though I never played it. I also like the low level magic world. Can I build a Warblade from Bo9S. There are no alignment requirements, and he will have no supernatural abilities to fit into your world.

I noticed that you have taken a 28-point buy for starting characters. May I suggest that you might consider a higher value since it is a low magic world and stat bonuses will (partially) compensate for lack of magical items. Maybe a 36 point buy. Either way it's fine with me.

I have actually made a PC already (for a higher level E6 campaign) that never got off the ground.

What's starting wealth like? Are there any maps/materials for this campaign?
Actually, I got my hands on a Bo9S today, since it seemed so nice. I'll okay Bo9S for both you and Toptomcat (bolded for Toptom to notice), as long as you keep away from the stances and maneuvers that are supernatural in nature (elemental damage and the like).

However, I'll keep to the arrays as they are. This is supposed to be a low-powered campaign, where the heroes are exceptional people, but you won't start out as the strongest people in a whole country. 36 points would be enough for having dual 18's, something that is WAY out of line with the campaign feel.
Most, but not all, opponents will be humanoid so you will be more heroic than most of your opponents. However, when something is not humanoid in nature, you'll have a reason to fear it.

The coinage is a little different from normal.
1 gold coin = 20 silver pieces.
1 silver pieces = 4 copper pieces.
One silver coin = 1 D&D gold coin.
However, bartering is more common than actual use of currency among civilians.

You start with equipment equal to 50 + x*5 silver pieces, where x is your xd4 standard gold pieces to start with. Monks start with 12 silver pieces. So you're heavily underequipped equal to normal D&D. Fighter thus starts with 80, rogue 75, barbarian 70, and so on. Your warblade would have 70.

I wish you luck with this.

doghead
aka thotd
Thanks a lot! Hope you get more free time on your hands soon :3

Rhun

First Post
70sp? Can we even afford to buy weapons & armor?

You must have missed the "heavily under equipped" post. 70 is still enough for say studded leather armor, a shielf, and a sword.

Stringburka, sounds like an awesome game. If I had more time on my hands, I'd submit a concept in a heartbeat!

Remove ads