D&D 5E Theory: Eladrin in 5e

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
We know from the Tiefling preview that they get a cantrip at 1st level, a 1st level spell 1/day at 3rd, and a 2nd level spell 1/day at 5th.

Misty Step is a brand new 2nd level spell in 5B. It is a short range (30') teleport like eladrin had in 4e.

Connecting the dots, it seems likely a subrace of elves could get misty step at 5th level.

Thoughts?

Even if they don't put eladrin specifically in the PH(B), do people see that as a viable way of regaining the eladrin feel in 5e?

Thaumaturge.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I think the following situation is more likely:

High elves can choose any cantrip, right? So they put a spell in the DMG:

Fey Step
Conjuration cantrip
Range: Self
Casting time: 1 bonus action
Duration: 5 minutes
You instantly teleport up to 30 feet. For the duration, you can't cast this spell again.

An eladrin is a high elf who chooses that as his cantrip.

Thaumaturge

I think the following situation is more likely:

High elves can choose any cantrip, right? So they put a spell in the DMG:

Fey Step
Conjuration cantrip
Range: Self
Casting time: 1 bonus action
Duration: 5 minutes
You instantly teleport up to 30 feet. For the duration, you can't cast this spell again.

An eladrin is a high elf who chooses that as his cantrip.

I think that's a neat trick with the duration.

But I find it difficult to believe that if misty step is balanced at 2nd, they'd give it to anyone as a cantrip.

But, if it's in the DMG and clearly a variant, that might work.

Thaumaturge.

Pickles JG

First Post
In 4e it's a move action which I don't think works in 5e. It did not break 4e to have it at level 1 so I don't think it would break 5e, which has more powerful movement spells available as early as 5th level.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I, for one, will certainly hope not. Grey elves are grey elves.

But, to your theory, I would find the plausibility of a 5th level character having a limited (1/day) 30' teleport significantly more tolerable than 1st level characters taking 5' teleports whenever they wanted. Yeah, yeah. I've heard it was "only" every 5 minutes. Big whoop. Teleporting all day at 1st level? Not on MY lawn!

Giving Grey Elves Misty Step as their 5th level ability? Acceptable.

ccooke

Adventurer
So, whether it's official or not, there's a rather nice symmetry here:

Teleportation in 4th was something you had access to from level 1. It was an encounter or daily resource.

Teleportation in 5th is a 2nd level spell, which you would get access to at level 3. It's a daily resource.

And 3rd level in 5e is supposed to be the equivalent of 1st level in 4th...

Thaumaturge

So, whether it's official or not, there's a rather nice symmetry here:

Teleportation in 4th was something you had access to from level 1. It was an encounter or daily resource.

Teleportation in 5th is a 2nd level spell, which you would get access to at level 3. It's a daily resource.

And 3rd level in 5e is supposed to be the equivalent of 1st level in 4th...

Agreed. And if one wants a more 4e feel, it's easy to say "that's once per short rest (which is, naturally, 5 minutes) at this table".

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads