D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Druid discussion

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
and wotc should absolutely be considering if including more HP like spellcasting is a worthy addition to the game. The fantasy experience will change over time, and any smart RPG system will need to consider adjusting with it.
Well, the game is powered by nostalgia and "D&Disms" as much by anything else. Radical changes to the game have had mixed reception in the past. And some people are saying that a radical change is no longer in the cards for D&D.

I'd like to see an optional rules module or even a new class that would allow for this sort of spellcasting paradigm to exist, but I don't expect WotC to make such a thing- a lot of great new ideas that have been introduced in UA's have withered in the face of customer satisfaction ratings, so at a certain point, if the majority of your consumers aren't happy with new ideas, why spend time presenting them?

Stalker0

Legend
Well, the game is powered by nostalgia and "D&Disms" as much by anything else. Radical changes to the game have had mixed reception in the past. And some people are saying that a radical change is no longer in the cards for D&D.

I'd like to see an optional rules module or even a new class that would allow for this sort of spellcasting paradigm to exist, but I don't expect WotC to make such a thing- a lot of great new ideas that have been introduced in UA's have withered in the face of customer satisfaction ratings, so at a certain point, if the majority of your consumers aren't happy with new ideas, why spend time presenting them?
My guess is .... if they were going to do it, it would be more of a new setting concept. A high magic world like harry potter with some new classes specifically for that setting. And then likely as some of those classes got "really popular", they might move into the more general game, ala artificers.

I saw Treantmonk's video on druids this morning. The issue with the proficiency bonus, plus some of the discussion in the last few pages, had me wondering about whether the stat blocks in the 2024 book will be as static as the 2014 stat blocks.

Notably, the way they've presented multiclassing in the UAs has it as part of each class, rather than its own separate section. They have not yet presented any monster stat blocks in the playtests, but what if (rather than the suggestion of writing up entirely new stat blocks for every tier of Wild Shape) they simply added a line to qualifying beast stat blocks about what changes when you Wild Shape into that form?

My first counter-thought would be that it should be easy to provide such a generic boost in the class itself for just the base numbers, but there's also the possibility that that won't scale well across all monster types and CRs. If so, it would be easier to provide custom adjustments per beast form. Doing so would also allow other custom effects that are unique to each form.

For example:

Wild Shape: While Wild Shaped into this form, you gain +1 to your attack roll for every 5 druid levels your character has. You may also Disengage as a bonus action.

Approaching it that way would allow something closer to the template idea that was discarded, but without being utterly generic blandness.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For example:

Wild Shape: While Wild Shaped into this form, you gain +1 to your attack roll for every 5 druid levels your character has. You may also Disengage as a bonus action.
Something like this was what I suggested in the survey -- some means to allow forms to scale, adding HP, AC, attack, and damage every 4-5 levels. I want the option of playing the same form all the way through without kneecapping play -- the option of becoming a wolf or bear has an iconic flavour that hasn't been supported well -- but could be.

"Your beasts attack bonus is equal to your spell attack bonus."

Keeps things simple.
Sounds like useful language for template wildshaping. The most effective way to make it balanced and effective over the life of the druid is to make the stats be based on your progressive character stats and level/PB, not the form. shrug

Remove ads