D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Druid discussion

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
To be honest the only way that the moon druid suffers is with a low attack bonus. Since we have still not seen any beast options stated out, monsters proficiency bonus might scale better now that it used to. (Which was horrible). With the extra radiant damage and then the extra elemental damage on top of the beasts attacks I think that they will be pumping out a decent if not a Berserking barbarian amount of damage assuming they can hit.

Undrave

Legend
High AC/low HP character is a terrible combination and completely ineffective.

Gain THP equal to your druid level when you wildshape (I see this pleasing no one - it's irritating for those who hate the mechanic and a ribbon for those who like it)
What does this even accomplish?! Even a kobold sneezing can get through this temp HP easily??

Last edited:

ChameleonX

Explorer
The only thing I still want them to fix with the new druid (which I will be mentioning in the survey) is that special abilities in beast form should use your spell save DC instead of the one in the beast stat block.

Being a level 13 druid morphed into a Snake and still having a DC 11 on your venom is a huge bummer.

Remathilis

Legend
To be honest the only way that the moon druid suffers is with a low attack bonus. Since we have still not seen any beast options stated out, monsters proficiency bonus might scale better now that it used to. (Which was horrible). With the extra radiant damage and then the extra elemental damage on top of the beasts attacks I think that they will be pumping out a decent if not a Berserking barbarian amount of damage assuming they can hit.
I doubt it. Prof bonus is tied to Challenge and they can't change those values without breaking compatibility.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The only thing I still want them to fix with the new druid (which I will be mentioning in the survey) is that special abilities in beast form should use your spell save DC instead of the one in the beast stat block.

Being a level 13 druid morphed into a Snake and still having a DC 11 on your venom is a huge bummer.

Agreed, that it needs to be fixed. Not sure it would be my only fix.

mellored

Legend
I doubt it. Prof bonus is tied to Challenge and they can't change those values without breaking compatibility.
They could boost the Str (and thus to-hit) of monsters easily enough.

I.e. Giant scorpion with 16 Str instead of 15.

And then reduce the damage die a size if needed.

Clint_L

Hero
Actually, in the movie, they focus on seeking a person with a specific skillset. They needed a "Wildshape" (noun). Even the Red Wizard calls the unknown infiltrator a "Wildshape," not a druid. This tells me that they do not necessarily mean "all druids". I would love for there to be a Circle of Beasts that focuses on Wildshape, but it shouldn't be tied to the Moon.
What it tells me is that they didn't want to confuse people who hear "druid" and expect to see Getafix, so they used the name for what D&D druids are known for: wild shape.

Backwards compatibility. It's not going to stop being Circle of the Moon, and players aren't going to stop expecting it to be about becoming a giant beast and kicking butt. What you or I think it "should" be in an ideal world is irrelevant to OneD&D.

What it tells me is that they didn't want to confuse people who hear "druid" and expect to see Getafix, so they used the name for what D&D druids are known for: wild shape.

Backwards compatibility. It's not going to stop being Circle of the Moon, and players aren't going to stop expecting it to be about becoming a giant beast and kicking butt. What you or I think it "should" be in an ideal world is irrelevant to OneD&D.
Agreed, but the movie is an official expression of the game and can set some expectations to new players who want to be a Wildshape. The language is now represented as part of the lexicon (narrative, not rules), even if it is limited to only in the region of the Sword Coast.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Agreed, but the movie is an official expression of the game and can set some expectations to new players who want to be a Wildshape. The language is now represented as part of the lexicon (narrative, not rules), even if it is limited to only in the region of the Sword Coast.
Sure, but that goes along with new players who hear "a game about wizards" and expect Harry Potter spellcasters. Sure there's no "D&D" brand on the HP movies, but that's certainly an expectation many people will have.

Stalker0

Legend
Sure, but that goes along with new players who hear "a game about wizards" and expect Harry Potter spellcasters. Sure there's no "D&D" brand on the HP movies, but that's certainly an expectation many people will have.
and wotc should absolutely be considering if including more HP like spellcasting is a worthy addition to the game. The fantasy experience will change over time, and any smart RPG system will need to consider adjusting with it.

Remove ads