D&D General Theros Reforged

Zardnaar

Legend
It's a good plan, you also have a good bunch of monsters in the MM itself which are very much inspired by Greek mythology, and don't forget to take stuff straight out of Homer's Iliad and Odissey :) You can also find plenty of Greek myth information just on wikipedia!

That parts fine. It's Greek place names I'm gonna rip off from Theros, Hollow World and real Greece.

Everyone knows Sparta and Athens but locris, phocis etc not so much.

Last edited:

Sulicius

Adventurer
It has practically no "setting"! Just a couple of dull cities, without maps or adventure-relevant detail; there is no attempt to represent ancient world technology; The gods are less interesting detached from their real world inspirations. The mythic monsters are okay, but there are too few of them.
To me it was all I needed to run my best campaign yet in a distinct setting, even though I agree with your points!

This is the first time I used a published setting instead of homebrewing everything, and it really suited me.

Every time I need some inspiration or some idea I can open the book and find a gem.

To me it was all I needed to run my best campaign yet in a distinct setting, even though I agree with your points!

This is the first time I used a published setting instead of homebrewing everything, and it really suited me.

Every time I need some inspiration or some idea I can open the book and find a gem.
I don't need inspiration, I have plenty of that myself. I need detail - maps, NPCs, equipment lists, etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't need inspiration, I have plenty of that myself. I need detail - maps, NPCs, equipment lists, etc.

I need a map. Currently looking at the Assassins Creed:Odyssey map.

I've found Phoenicians and Greek name generators (with help) and I know a Greek poster elsewhere who has helped with some obscure names. He's disappointed I'm using fantasy names vs historical. Just in case not Athens gets blown up.

Probably gonna set it west of Not Delphi. There's some large towns I can work with, a small city that was a lot bigger then than now.

Oracle of Apollo, Sanctuary of Athena and Titanspawn to the north west.

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Just an idea:
Have you thought of setting the game in around (not) 750 BCE. It could even utilise not-Homer as a key NPC.
That way, you’re around 400+ years after the collapse of the Mycenaean civilisation and the ensuing Greek “dark ages” and just at the birth of the Classical Greek era, but not constrained by the Athens and Sparta of the Persian Wars period ( which is still 250 years in the future)
That gives you much more of a blank canvas on which to paint your creativity, with minotaurs lurking in dark caverns, Pegasi flying the skies and dryads in the olive groves.
There was a major seismic event in what is now Israel in c750 BCE, known as Amos’ Earthquake, so they could be played for all sorts of fantasy scenarios.
Trojan War items, such as the bow of Odysseus, would make great quest items, and you could have the early stirrings of a kingdom across the sea to the west founded by two werewolves named Romulus and Remus, which was 753 BCE according to legend.

Anyway, good luck with the game

Zardnaar

Legend
Just an idea:
Have you thought of setting the game in around (not) 750 BCE. It could even utilise not-Homer as a key NPC.
That way, you’re around 400+ years after the collapse of the Mycenaean civilisation and the ensuing Greek “dark ages” and just at the birth of the Classical Greek era, but not constrained by the Athens and Sparta of the Persian Wars period ( which is still 250 years in the future)
That gives you much more of a blank canvas on which to paint your creativity, with minotaurs lurking in dark caverns, Pegasi flying the skies and dryads in the olive groves.
There was a major seismic event in what is now Israel in c750 BCE, known as Amos’ Earthquake, so they could be played for all sorts of fantasy scenarios.
Trojan War items, such as the bow of Odysseus, would make great quest items, and you could have the early stirrings of a kingdom across the sea to the west founded by two werewolves named Romulus and Remus, which was 753 BCE according to legend.

Anyway, good luck with the game

Well I have thought of a side trek to not Rome and have an NPC say something like "barbarians they'll never amount to much".

It's more inspiration atm I'm not planning on fantasy versions of historical events to much beyond 50 odd years after not Persian invasion.

Remove ads