D&D General Theros Reforged

One of my bucket list campaign ideas is a pseudo mythic Greece taking place after the fall of the sons of Chronos. Athena has taken the throne of Olympus, the seas are the domain of Aphrodite, and Persephone controls the abode of the dead.

jgsugden

Legend
I've heard mixed things about that one and my budget is around $0.
The player's guide is in your budget - the PDF is free. Odyssey of the Dragonlords
Basically I have to use what I've got or can write. Theros, 2E Age of Heroes book, many many adventures etc.
There are a lot of 'recaps' from people running this adventure that make for good read throughs.

It is very thematic, and has some solid underlying story. However, the story told within the setting lacks depth and makes some pretty odd assumptions about what the PCs will and will not figure out. I would never run it, but there are definitely things I lifted and modified into my homebrew setting.

I can't really comment on whether or not it is a good "setting" book, but it is one of the WotC books I get the most use out off. I like the take on monsters and champions and gods.
The gods are part of the problem. I know my players well enough to realise that if I presented them with a Theros campaign, they would all choose iconoclast and set out to kill the gods. They aren't fond of gods at the best of times, and this bunch of flawed hands-on gods would really rub them up the wrong way.

And I don't really want to do a "god killer" campaign.

GreyBeardDM

Explorer
I am currently running the Odyssey of the Dragonlords ( 49 sessions in ), and I can confirm the free players guide has quite a lot of the plot in it, that could be used to help fuel your campaign.

The Discord channel for this adventure, has produced some good fan material, that is also free.

Dungeon Master's Guide to Odyssey of the Dragonlords is a fan written DMs guide, whilst it is to help DMs run the adventure, there are various plot elements and background stories that you could use to make your own campaign from.

Estor's Conquest is a flash back adventure which you could repurpose, very much a wooden horse of Troy type adventure

dave2008

Legend
The gods are part of the problem. I know my players well enough to realise that if I presented them with a Theros campaign, they would all choose iconoclast and set out to kill the gods. They aren't fond of gods at the best of times, and this bunch of flawed hands-on gods would really rub them up the wrong way.

And I don't really want to do a "god killer" campaign.
Yes, every group is different. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Though saying the gods are the problem in a setting about the gods seems to be less a setting issue and more of a group issue,

jgsugden

Legend
Yes, every group is different. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Though saying the gods are the problem in a setting about the gods seems to be less a setting issue and more of a group issue,
I think this hits an important point - when I think of a Greek setting, a key element in my interpretation is that the Gods are a challenge that the PCs will eventually have to face. Gods will curse, cheat, and directly oppose PCs. While not absolutely essential, this would be the natural leaning to me and not having that conflict would seem to be a deviation from theme to me.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think this hits an important point - when I think of a Greek setting, a key element in my interpretation is that the Gods are a challenge that the PCs will eventually have to face. Gods will curse, cheat, and directly oppose PCs. While not absolutely essential, this would be the natural leaning to me and not having that conflict would seem to be a deviation from theme to me.

The gods are also petty, actively involved in the world and often are human emotions turned up to 11.

jgsugden

Legend
The gods are also petty, actively involved in the world and often are human emotions turned up to 11.
I'm not sure what your target is here - you want to have petty Gods with human emotions that are actively involved with the PCs, but not have your PCs be in a position to fight them? Can you give an example of how the PCs might interact with a got being petty and emotional, but not expecting the PCs to consider violence agianst the Gods?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not sure what your target is here - you want to have petty Gods with human emotions that are actively involved with the PCs, but not have your PCs be in a position to fight them? Can you give an example of how the PCs might interact with a got being petty and emotional, but not expecting the PCs to consider violence agianst the Gods?

More social pillar trying to calm an enraged God down.

I gave stats for them they might fight them might even win.

Consequences though if they know it's a God. I'm not planning on a God killing campaign but it can't be ruled out. Well more the Gods avatars.

Weiley31

Legend
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind combing both Theros and Odyssey of the Dragon Lords stuff together for 5E Greek mythology.

Also, I love the Player's Guide for it and I want to get the Raiders of the Serpent Sea players' guide too.

Remove ads