D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The headliner is the same. The warm up act got a few new members.
I haven't read the play test, but I'm not hearing from this discussion warlocks are the same but just now have more spell slots at the same power level they had before.

I guess it just boils down to difference in play styles. I've never ran or played in a session where a player request to take a short rest wouldn't be accommodated (barring a rare occasion where the GM imposed a time restriction on the plot). We always had at least two times in a "day" to do so.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The problem is that Caster players didn’t like the Warlock… because it wasn’t made for them! It’s a Caster for people who never liked to play Casters. WotC responded to the wishes of the Caster players (as always) by simply making a Warlock that fits their expectations of what a Caster class is.
Again WIZARD players, not Caster players. As a sorcerer player I really liked the warlock is it was.

mamba

Legend
I guess it just boils down to difference in play styles. I've never ran or played in a session where a player request to take a short rest wouldn't be accommodated (barring a rare occasion where the GM imposed a time restriction on the plot). We always had at least two times in a "day" to do so.
then this change should have very little impact on you

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
then this change should have very little impact on you
The impact is that the less distinct each class is the blander the game becomes. I'm a player that enjoys variety and keeping things fresh.

The sorcerer and wizard already overlap so much that making the warlock closer to that design and farther from something unique is not a good thing.

Other than weapon masteries most everything else in the play tests (like just one arcane spell list) trends toward "2024 The Blandening".

I do like that warlocks can choose between three spellcasting stats. I'd even push for STR for hexblades and INT for tomelocks. This is an example of having something unique.

mellored

Legend
Yeah. I don't like long rests making it so I've only go three encounters before I start to suck and not be able to play the character I made. I want to be good doing as many or as few encounters in whatever span I want.
Have you tried using milestones?

Recovery based on the number of battles?

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
So... Each of the Packs are now a cantrip.
Magic Initiate is a level 1 background feat that grants access to 2 cantrips (plus some other stuff)
Doesn't this mean a Level 1 character starting as a Warlock can have all 3 pacts?

Remove ads