• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on 6-7-13 Playtest Packet

Klaus

First Post
One thing that could help make gnomes, half-elves and half-orcs better would be to include tiny slivers of their "favored class" into the races. For instance:

Dwarves are natural warriors. They get weapon proficiencies, some get more hp, some get armor training.
High elves are natural wizards, and get a free cantrip. Wood elves are natural rangers, and get more speed and better Stealth in natural environments.
Halflings are natural rogues, and can hide more easily.

Forest gnomes are natural illusionists, so they get a fixed cantrip (compare to a high elf that get his choice of any cantrip) and the ability to resist all mental-targetting spells.
Rock gnomes are natural... artificers, I guess? Maybe they could get free proficiency in Thieves' Tools, maybe even Open Locks, and prestidigitation through their tinkerings.

Half-Elves seem to be poised as natural bards and diplomats. Maybe some form of "words of friendship" ability?

Half-Orcs are natural barbarians. Give them extra speed (matching the wood elf), maybe Charge as a bonus feat and the ability to making some form of reckless attack.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
My favorite part of this packet is that half-elves are strictly worse than elves, except, in some cases, for the ability modifiers.

I think the gnomes are okay. Tinkering seems more flavorful than useful, though. If it somehow improved with your level, it would be pretty cool.

The new dying rules seem to go through a some contortions to avoid negative hit points. I thought the previous version was pretty good. The new one isn't terrible, but I don't understand the reason for it. Are there people who really hate negative HP?

I do, I am now leaning towards 0 HP = dead, that's it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I do, I am now leaning towards 0 HP = dead, that's it.

Using the guidelines you just mentioned, how do you simulate your buddy being unconscious from his wounds? He would be awake and fighting and then dead (using no negative hp).

Not arguing..genuinely interested in your POV (haven't read the new packet yet).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Concerning animate dead and warlocks...total hypothesis on my part, so take it for what its worth...

Since they've proposed "Paladin" as the Good alignment, along with Warden and Blaggard "Cavalier" [which I would very much like then to change to "Paladin" as the broad class with "Paladin" again as the Good alignment choice since Cavalier has none of the religion/alignment connotation of the actual proposed classes], maybe they will present a "Warlock" broad class with "Good/Neutral/Evil" alignment subclasses, such as, "Faye" for good [perhaps "and neutral"], "Star" for neutral [perhaps "and evil"], and "Diabolic" for evil. That way animate dead could be a spell for the evil or neutral and evil options. With the good not touching it.

alternately, they could remove "animate dead" as a spell and make it a class feature/power of necromancers and/or evil warlocks and/or evil priests. If that's the flavor they want [and for the record, I have no objects to it. Animating dead should be considered an "evil act" imho] they could work it in that way as opposed to an actual "spell" for people to say "Well, it's on the spell list, so why can't I do that?" Make it a feature of those classes that would do that and leave it off the spell list.

Just a coupla thoughts/ideas off the cuff.
--SD

Cyberen

First Post
I haven't read the current wording of Animate Dead.
Steeldragons option is interesting, and begs to be taken one step further in one of the tremendous Feats we've been promised.
Another interesting path is to put them in the middle of the spell list and stipulate this knowledge is forbidden. It empowers the players to make some important choices for their character.
"the dark side" is easier, more powerful : are they going to stay on the narrow path or go astray for more power ?
It is actually the very same debate we had concerning Planescape and default fluff. (and note I am changing side here : for planar stuff, I consider Less is more, but I think the game should have built-in moral issues). Of course, if you don't like them, or feel they are inapropriate to the game you want to run, they are easy to ignore.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Oh come-on people! Are y'all honestly going to say you don't see a need or purpose for a "default" assumption, especially as concerns printing this game for use by new gamers also; that these assumption haven't been the basic assumptions of the game since the beginning of D&D; and that as always, those who desire to and/or are proficient enough with the game (as probably 99% of us here at ENWorld likely are) can alter it as much as we want, and the rules actually promote doing this?!?!

Seriously?!? Y'all pick this topic to complain about...y'all choose to complaing about a straight-up, bonifide non-issue!

Don't we have better things, and real issues to discuss instead...:erm:

I am thankful that I have the time to talk about D&D on these forums even though there are much more real issues to talk about. Your definition of real issues might differ from mine, and that's ok.

Which parts of D&D I find worthy of discussion may differ from parts that you find worthy, but please don't belittle my concerns with your expressions of exasperation that my post is not worthy of discussion.

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Additional Races: I like the new Races, though i think Gnomes Cunning is too good. Half-Orc +2 Strenght is strong too.

Spells: Offensive cantrips still scale too high IMO. I like the return of material components! Some fun new spells too. I like how False Life incorporate the use of temporary hit points. Cure Wounds is no more swift, but its more potent than Healing Word.How To Play: Finally a list of languages! Prone is more potent now by requiring all your spped to stand up. I think the removal of Initiative shifting when you Ready An Action is a bad idea IMO, as you can now ready and get two actions in a row. I preferred the older Critical Hit rules. Only an additional damage die doesn't have enought omph IMO, a crit is supposed to be brutal. Finally, i like the Idea of going down at 0 and not having negative HPs for dying rules. I like how dramatic is Nat 1 on Death Saving Throws.

Against The Slalord Bestiary: I like many of the new monsters. There's also many new humanoids with class and even some multiclass thrown in. I like the Action Surge Trait, reminds me of Action Points.

Remove ads