D&D 5E Thoughts on 6-7-13 Playtest Packet

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I'm not belittling anyone's concerns, I'm stating my opinion. My opinion is that y'all are artificially creating an issue to complain about, and that's my right here also; just as it's your right to determine what you want to discuss (within the guidelines of ENWorld though, of course).

I'd appreciate you not telling me what I can comment on or not comment on, or telling me what opinions I may hold or not.

It goes both ways Gargoyle...:erm:

I never said you could or couldn't post about something, I only asked you not to belittle my concerns. I even said please. It is clear you don't want to discuss the topic, and have chosen to put words in my mouth instead, so ok whatever.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I think the removal of Initiative shifting when you Ready An Action is a bad idea IMO, as you can now ready and get two actions in a row.
I think it should be very difficult to get 2 actions in a row, though I don't think it's unbalancing. The key here is that the Ready action can only be used to trigger on OBSERVABLE triggers. So "At the end of his turn" or "After he finishes doing whatever he's doing" aren't observable. You can guess what action the person before you in initiative is going to take and ready on that. However, there should always be the risk with the ready action that you waste it by waiting for something that never happens.

So, if you ready for "When that enemy attacks" and he decides to aid his friend this turn or retreat...well, that means you've lost your action.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I think it should be very difficult to get 2 actions in a row, though I don't think it's unbalancing.
Very easy you mean.

1. On your turn you Ready An Action
Trigger: When i yell ''GUNJA''
Action: I attack/cast a spell etc...

2. During the creature's turn preceeding your next turn, at some point you yell ''GUNJA'' and then use your Readied action as a Reaction. When the monsters turn ends, you next turn comes up and take an action again, which essentially equals to two in a row.

At first it may not look too bad, but i fear some abilities comboed by using actions back to back could give unexpected results.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Seriously?!? Y'all pick this topic to complain about...y'all choose to complain about a straight-up, bonifide non-issue!

Don't we have better things, and real issues to discuss instead...:erm:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems kinda like a dick move to get on people's cases for not addressing "real issues" during this playtest. Just because it's a "non-issue" for you, it doesn't mean that alignment isn't a big deal to other people. (And I say this as someone who wants mechanically invasive alignment in D&D.)

I know you basically defend 5e in every post, and that's good to some degree, but perhaps there's a better way to express your opinion than dismissing 4-5+ other people because they're not addressing "real issues" (in your mind)? I really don't think you're helping the discussion by being so dismissive of their opinion, rather than engaging with it or just giving your own in return. Just a thought. As always, play what you like :)

LesserCure

Explorer
Very easy you mean.

1. On your turn you Ready An Action
Trigger: When i yell ''GUNJA''
Action: I attack/cast a spell etc...

2. During the creature's turn preceeding your next turn, at some point you yell ''GUNJA'' and then use your Readied action as a Reaction. When the monsters turn ends, you next turn comes up and take an action again, which essentially equals to two in a row.

At first it may not look too bad, but i fear some abilities comboed by using actions back to back could give unexpected results.

Would you allow that as a DM?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I understand the impulse to put all spells in Spell Schools a la 2nd ed., but I think we could make the game more interesting by using the pre-existing divisions already in the game.

Healing spells are divine spells. We could put divine spells in "spheres" or "domains". This sort of prepackages them for deities and clerics who simply want to pick a deity and copy their deity's predetermined spell list.

No spell school attribution necessary.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think the inclusion of the statement that Animate Dead is an evil act is working exactly as intended in this playtest packet.

They WANT you to comment on it. That's the entire point.

They include a rule that has alignment implications... just like for instance the alignment rules they included for the paladins and the monks... purely so that we would see those rules and then give them our opinion on them. Positive *or* negative. They don't care. They just want to know how people feel about it. Now, they will receive feedback on whether people do or do not want alignment or moral judgments regarding certain aspects of the game, and thus whether or not to keep or discard them.

If they didn't highlight the issue by making it obvious, people might never comment on it, and thus they wouldn't know exactly how people felt.

Remove ads