Level Up (A5E) Thoughts on A5E classes from your table(s)?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
have you seen troll slayer?
I'm looking at it now, it doesn't seem too powerful on paper. What're your thoughts?
yea i was an o5e paladin player, i was originally kind of disappointed with the changes. however when i finally got around to actually playing the class it seems to be stronger then it was in o5e. First of all, its far easier to gain an increased crit range as a herald in a5e than in o5e, which makes crit fishing more consistent. simply taking one level of fighter allows you to double up on stances once per sr, provides you a proper exertion pool, and get the fighters maneuver progression. with those available simply take devoted assault and furious barrage, activate both, make 6 attacks with advantage at crit range 18, each crit you can spend 1 exertion to activate striding swings and make an additional two attacks. If you want to get really spicy take 3 levels of warlock pact of the sword and take lifedrinker, that way you add your charisma bonus to damage twice.
The a5e herald, on its face at least, isn't going to be having crazy high-damage crits though. They can crit more often like you said, that's very true. But in a5e they're not all about nova-crits- they're much more similar to earlier paladins where smite evil was nice, but not the focus of the class... which I like!
However, I am not happy with how much value they get out of a single level dip into fighter, between exertion and maneuvers. Crazy! I would want to house rule that to require more levels to benefit or something.

The caveat here is that I haven't had a proper Herald in any of my games, so I don't have personal experience with it yet.

yea i was an o5e paladin player, i was originally kind of disappointed with the changes. however when i finally got around to actually playing the class it seems to be stronger then it was in o5e. First of all, its far easier to gain an increased crit range as a herald in a5e than in o5e, which makes crit fishing more consistent. simply taking one level of fighter allows you to double up on stances once per sr, provides you a proper exertion pool, and get the fighters maneuver progression. with those available simply take devoted assault and furious barrage, activate both, make 6 attacks with advantage at crit range 18, each crit you can spend 1 exertion to activate striding swings and make an additional two attacks. If you want to get really spicy take 3 levels of warlock pact of the sword and take lifedrinker, that way you add your charisma bonus to damage twice.
THIS IS TO ALL THE FERALD DOUBTERS IN THE AUDIENCE OUT THERE: I TOLD YOU SO

getquarked

Explorer
just wanted to weigh in here and give some more feedback from what i see around the table

Adept: player naughty word loves his class. he loves maneuvers and loves how often he gets to pull them out. The one change I made to the class is that we've used maneuver DC instead of focus DC, when focus DC is used. It makes things more streamlined. One note, the warrior monk archetype is way better than the other two, let the players mix and match. Brawler, in particular, is garbage vs the other two

Bard: A lot of variety and the spells battlecry ballad and accelerando are two huge winners that the bard loves making waves with. Bard was a winner in 5e, and Id say it stays winning.

Marshal: Again, another winner. Mark foe is an excellent team boost + tactics die for those close cases in hits. A charisma-important martial means theyre involved heavily in RP and skill checks as well.

Fighter: A true standout here, is the duelist fighter. A true nightmare, they can turn a hit into a miss, into a free action attack for them. Absolute stud, had a blast playing this in the one shot.

Wizard: Not TOO much different than 5e, but the improvements to background have led to a better experience.

Artificer: This one is kind of rough. My DMing style isnt super conducive to vehicle mechanics but the stuff the artificer can do is ridiculous, and it is easily one of the most versatile classes in the system. Vehicle mechanics are something that takes a lot of effort to make work, and revolves around you keeping explicit track of positioning. Actually, if I wasnt using a battlemap, there would be a chance it might work better, since more handwaving would be applicable. but those are my thoughts

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
just wanted to weigh in here and give some more feedback from what i see around the table

Adept: player naughty word loves his class. he loves maneuvers and loves how often he gets to pull them out. The one change I made to the class is that we've used maneuver DC instead of focus DC, when focus DC is used. It makes things more streamlined. One note, the warrior monk archetype is way better than the other two, let the players mix and match. Brawler, in particular, is garbage vs the other two

Bard: A lot of variety and the spells battlecry ballad and accelerando are two huge winners that the bard loves making waves with. Bard was a winner in 5e, and Id say it stays winning.

Marshal: Again, another winner. Mark foe is an excellent team boost + tactics die for those close cases in hits. A charisma-important martial means theyre involved heavily in RP and skill checks as well.

Fighter: A true standout here, is the duelist fighter. A true nightmare, they can turn a hit into a miss, into a free action attack for them. Absolute stud, had a blast playing this in the one shot.

Wizard: Not TOO much different than 5e, but the improvements to background have led to a better experience.

Artificer: This one is kind of rough. My DMing style isnt super conducive to vehicle mechanics but the stuff the artificer can do is ridiculous, and it is easily one of the most versatile classes in the system. Vehicle mechanics are something that takes a lot of effort to make work, and revolves around you keeping explicit track of positioning. Actually, if I wasnt using a battlemap, there would be a chance it might work better, since more handwaving would be applicable. but those are my thoughts
Very cool that you have positive experiences with the Marshall- I haven't had a player use it yet but it seems interesting. Anything in particular that stands out for the class? Player favorite features etc?

getquarked

Explorer
Very cool that you have positive experiences with the Marshall- I haven't had a player use it yet but it seems interesting. Anything in particular that stands out for the class? Player favorite features etc?

In general the buffs the marshall gives to the party at this point (lvl 7, so its the temp HP on long rest + an expertise die on initiative + mark foe +tactics die) are just so wonderful for the team. It elevates the team more than other classes, at the cost of being a little more on the generic side in terms of combat ability, but being "generic" isnt a bad thing, it just means its the standard attack pattern. Either way, their impact is so thorough that the players will constantly be aware of if they have the tactics die ready if they roll just shy of a known AC. Rallying surge also allows them to give a spot of healing when the time requires. Again, its just a very versatile and tools-y class with a build for support.

For roleplay, the ability for renown is killer as a plot hook device for me as the narrator. Also, the "knack, lesson teamwork" is a wonderful boon.

evildmguy

Explorer
My group had a Marshall in the last game and they all thought it was the standout class. It helped that the player playing the Marshall was the most experienced role player and gamer, so knew how to use the Marshall's abilities to best use.

Some observations about tonight's game.

The group was fighting casters. The fighter who uses a pike and shield, used Disrupting Charge.

You charge a spellcaster in order to interrupt their spell.

When a creature you can see casts a spell, you can use your reaction to move up to your Speed. If you end your movement adjacent to that creature, you can make a melee weapon attack against it. On a critical hit, the spell is interrupted (expending the spell slot) and has no effect.

I found this funny because in this case, it's a penalty to this fighter, since moving adjacent means he attacks at disadvantage. I didn't enforce it for reasons but do wonder if the wording should allow for pike.

Once again, Stunning Assault reared its ugly head. Fighting mages? The fighter ran around trying to hit and stun as many as he could. I would say this made me think of something else. A lot of abilities say that once they have been affected by it, they are immune to it for 24 hours. I also wonder if that should happen with Stunning Assault? In this particular case, one caster rolled a Nat 20 on his save against it and I wanted to make him immune to it for that. One other thought on it, I think another good errata is that Stunning Assault only lasts until the end of the fighter's turn, not until the beginning of the next turn. I think stances require an action, some effort put into it, not a reaction. Just a few thoughts I had.

I'm not sure how I feel about Shield Focus. In this case, the fighter used Shield Focus and used his metal shield to defend against lightning bolt to negate all damage from it. That feels like too much. I do see it's the rare lightning bolt spell that makes it conductive, so maybe. I don't like that it doesn't even put the broken condition on the shield! That could be done every time he has a reaction with no detrimental effects to the shield.

Are there DCs or guidelines to recognize a spell for purposes of counterspell? Then what about a heightened spell? Can someone using arcana tell that the caster is casting fireball with a fourth level slot? Then how does Multi-talented interact with all of these as it allows the caster to automatically recognize any spell of their INT mod or less. Do they just know the spell? Do they know the slot being used?

I still enjoy Level Up and will continue to use it. As someone who gamed in the 80s, I had a lot of arguments over these types of interactions. It cost me some friends, they got so heated. It's why I liked 3E and "rules, not rulings." Now, forty years later, my group and I are older and things aren't that bad. I still prefer pointing to the rules and why the metal shield can't help against lightning or suggested DCs to counter a spell. To me, those are like understanding gravity as it works on a person. It's the character's understanding of how their world works. I understand that is me.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm not sure how I feel about Shield Focus. In this case, the fighter used Shield Focus and used his metal shield to defend against lightning bolt to negate all damage from it. That feels like too much. I do see it's the rare lightning bolt spell that makes it conductive, so maybe. I don't like that it doesn't even put the broken condition on the shield! That could be done every time he has a reaction with no detrimental effects to the shield.
If it helps, iirc Shield Focus is basically the same as 5e's Shield Master. They both full negate dex saved damage with a reaction- so not an a5e specific thing.

Historical metal shields were still mostly composed of a wood frame and some padding, with just some metal plating on top, they weren't made 100% of metal (that would be super heavy and impractical).
So maybe this helps explain "in game" why using the shield would allow the character (who took a specific feature) to benefit from this?

Remove ads