Time Stop Question!!!!

sithramir

First Post
So a game i'm joining claims that with time stop you can cast offensive spells but taht just don't go off until after the time stop wears off. IE you can time stop for 3 rounds then

round 1: meteor swarm/quicken spell
round 2: meteor swarm/quicken spell
round 3: meteor swam/quicken spell

And that they then all go off in one round at the guy.

The way I assumed it was, was that since those spells are instantaneous they don't work and that only things like a delay spell spell, delayed blast fireball, or just bufffing yourself can work.

He says taht you can designate when their effects go off which I believe is wrong.

Which way is it? (Its 3.0 but 3.5 is relevant too if the rules are different in each)

Sited reasons why would be appreciated. He doesn' worry about rules hugely but he's been using it the one way and if thats not true I want to have exact proof so he doesn't overrule it as I see this making time stop insanely overpowered (althought it might be true where i'll just happen to have about 3-4 memorized everyday).
THANKS!

Last edited:

3.0: While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to the character's attacks and spells; however, the character can create spell effects and leave them to take effect when the time stop spell ends. (The spells’ durations do not begin until the time stop is over.)

3.5: While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell[/b][/i]. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends.

In 3.0 you have a gigantic KABOOM when the Time Stop ends. In 3.5, the spells go off when the caster casts them, but do not affect the Time Stopped creatures.

AR

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Whoever told you that is smoking crack.

An instantaneous spell like goes off when you cast it-- in the middle of the time stop. Since everything is invulnerable to your attacks and spells at that moment, a damaging spell has exactly no effect at all. You can still cast three meteor swarms during your time stop if you really want to, but it's a waste of spells because they can't hurt anything but you.

AuraSeer said:
Whoever told you that is smoking crack.

An instantaneous spell like goes off when you cast it-- in the middle of the time stop. Since everything is invulnerable to your attacks and spells at that moment, a damaging spell has exactly no effect at all. You can still cast three meteor swarms during your time stop if you really want to, but it's a waste of spells because they can't hurt anything but you.

True for 3.5, not true for 3.0 (unless they errata'd it, in that case, ignore this)

AR

sithramir

First Post
Wow. Well they are still using 3.0 just changing certain spells like haste/harm/heal. I guess I know what many of my higher level slots will be filled with now. Its like a no brainer. Hmm should I cast one 9th lvl attack spell or Time stop allowing about 3 of any level attack spells plus quickened. Thank god thats fixed in 3.5.

Apparently the archmage pulls about 8 meteor swarms off with time stops if theres ever a battle since the 3.0 version allows. I guess i'll just not bother to memorize attack spells while with him heh.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman said:
3.0:
Time stop.
Teleport in.
Meteor Swarm.
Teleport out.
Time stop ends.
"What the h...." KABOOM!

I'd go with:

Time stop.
Teleport in.
Look under the bard's dress.
Scream in horror.
Meteor Swarm.
Teleport out.
Time stop ends.
"What the h...." KABOOM!

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Altamont Ravenard said:
True for 3.5, not true for 3.0 (unless they errata'd it, in that case, ignore this)
That'll teach me to respond without reading the entire OP. Of course I was talking about the 3.5 version.

frankthedm

First Post
sithramir said:
Wow. Well they are still using 3.0 just changing certain spells like haste/harm/heal. I guess I know what many of my higher level slots will be filled with now. Its like a no brainer. Hmm should I cast one 9th lvl attack spell or Time stop allowing about 3 of any level attack spells plus quickened. Thank god thats fixed in 3.5.

Thank Monte's 20th level iconic characters Vs. Cthulhu battle for that one. After that wotc wised up and saw why the spell was trouble.

Remove ads