• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tips for a party without a fighter

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
>Make sure the rogue has a bow.

Only good within 30 ft to qualify for sneak attack damage.

Sorry I was unclear. I didn't mean to have the bow for sneak attacks.

That was part of my "Range and Reach" advice for the party as a whole...and far as how I think, the rogue is the only one in this band who could use one.
Just have the bow for ranged attacks. Hit them as far away as you can. Then hide (if possible) and switch to melee weapons for sneak attacks if you want/have to.

Sharkon

First Post
Actually what is the party level ? A high level druid with wild shape and summon nature ally can be in the front lines as well a cleric with shield and full plate. But if we are talking about a level 1 party....

Dandu

First Post
Bit harder, but definitely possible. I recommend the Animal Companion be a Riding Dog trained for war, with armor barding.

Last edited:

BENINHB

First Post
At lvl 1 your druid should be able to tank harder than a fighter would anyway. I like Riding Dogs as an animal companion with leather barding for the extra AC, if you can talk your DM into letting make the handle animal check (20+HD of animal) to apply the Warbeast Template (MMII) even better.

Add in Lesser Vigor and share it with your animal companion and that is an extra 22hp at first level to play with. Spells like entangle can replace a fighter as well (ok you all stand there wrapped up in roots while my party and i chip away at you with slings, bows and spells.

LordMonty

First Post
One of you characters probally the druid should consider going full time tank down the line as it really will help, its not just a crappy thing you see in mmos you do want healer and tank and some dps.

I'd just worry that in unexpected fights you won't have the summoned creatures out or later on party npcs able to control the fight.

Just a thought but otherwise i'd consider a paladin would make a good party tank if you wanted an option to fighter and with that in mind someone pick up the Leadership feat and get a follower paladin to tank in rp logic paladins protect selflessly so you have your auto tank ready and waiting and at a fairly solid level compared to your party. But all of thats you GM's call.

Hope it works out :)

Jeffrie

First Post
What level will you be playing to? and why no fighter? Ever heard of the Martial Rogue?
Sure 3d6 sneak is cool, but do you really get it every attack? or even every encounter?

Martial Ro2/ Fighter2/ Monk2

Human Feat, First Feat, Two M.Ro Feats, Two Fighter Feats, Two Monk Feats, Two Level Feats = 10 Feats @ 6th lvl

BAB/Saves 4 9 9 3 Hooya

Combat Expertise; BAB to defense

Weapon Focus; +1 shortswords
Two Weapon Fighting

Improved Trip;
Improved Init;

Weapons Specialization; +2 dam, Shortsword

Combat Reflexes (monk); AoO's per turn equal to Dex bonus
Improved Grapple (monk) no AoO, +4
Improved Unarmed Strike (monk)1d6 lethal, no AoO
Flurry of Blows (monk) -2/-2

Just make sure to go rogue first. I'm sure you could go back to rogue later, or PrC.

2 cents worth

Alexander123

First Post
Due to the whole code of honor issue I find the paladin to be a pain, and the fact that sometimes we might have to engage in dishonorable tactics which a noble paladin would oppose.

As far as why not a fighter, two reasons: one, the traditional four-person party consists of a fighter, cleric, rogue and wizard, now if you were going to go this route you would miss out on the druid which is a great class in my view and the other two are basically indispensible so only the fighter is left if you want a druid in the party. Second has to do with the fighter thread, which I think is a great thread, I read that thread and that definitely made me change my mind. As far as I know noone is going to have a cohort in play. Our team is generally opposed to anyone bringing a cohort along so that option is out the window.

(response to dandu's post) Of course you switch the animal companion at higher levels, how silly of me to forget.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads