D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah, I think WOTC should slow down and work on making less content with better quality. Better art, better stats, more lore. Instead of releasing general books that appeal moderately to everybody, focus on a particular group for each book. Something that each group would love. And completely holding fast to the theme they decide on, rather than spreading it out thin like too little butter on a slice of bread.
Revived from thread coma! (not quite dead...)

Can you give an example of a book that
"Focus[es] on a particular group"
and
"Completely holds fast to the theme"
?

It doesn't have to be a real book; but if you were given the task to create the ideal book with your particular criteria (and you could have anyone help you create it), what would it be? I'm honestly curious, because I don't exactly understand what you are asking for.

Yeah, I think WOTC should slow down and work on making less content with better quality. Better art, better stats, more lore.

I agree, but only partially. While I like the 5e art overall, I believe cartography is getting a turn for worst for some time now. I do like Dyson's style, but I would prefer it if we got more maps, including some more detailed ones. Mechanically, 5e is also suffering from a lack of good official content. I've been working on my own stuff for my games, but good official mechanical support would be great to have. I like the lore in the modules, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I think WOTC should slow down and work on making less content with better quality. Better art, better stats, more lore. Instead of releasing general books that appeal moderately to everybody, focus on a particular group for each book. Something that each group would love. And completely holding fast to the theme they decide on, rather than spreading it out thin like too little butter on a slice of bread.

That's been tried, and it failed. This model works, and I for one actually prefer getting a Smorgasbord rather than a focused product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Revived from thread coma! (not quite dead...)

Can you give an example of a book that
"Focus[es] on a particular group"
and
"Completely holds fast to the theme"
?

It doesn't have to be a real book; but if you were given the task to create the ideal book with your particular criteria (and you could have anyone help you create it), what would it be? I'm honestly curious, because I don't exactly understand what you are asking for.

Lord's of Darkness from 3.x, just about any 3E book really, is the sort of thing I believe is meant.

pukunui

Legend
I understand why they are doing the latter. The broader the appeal, the more sales they make. That's been the trend since they took over D&D. 2e had lots of hyper-focused books (books just for one class or one race or whatever). 3e and 4e had books for broader groups (martial classes, arcane casters, divine casters, etc). 5e's taken that a step further and just made it so every book has a little of something for everyone.

It is a bit annoying but understandable.

What I would really like is for them to spend more time on the quality. Volo's was mostly high quality, with the possible exception of the playable races, which really weren't playtested/balanced enough. Xanathar's is a real hit-or-miss book, with some really good stuff, some really bad stuff, and a whole lot of meh stuff that could've been better with a bit more time/effort. Mordenkainen's was OK but the theme was really weak and the inclusion of the gnomes/halflings section made little sense thematically.

I think so far I like the Ravnica, Eberron and Wildemount books best after Volo's. I'd love them to do more in the style of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which was fantastic in terms of what it did have but it also could have had so much more in it ...).

I want less of the Xanathar's type book, but it looks like we'll be getting another one this November.

I like your theme idea, but I feel like most of the books do have a theme. It's more subtle than in the past. But the theme is there.
As far as art and stats, I'm not sure what you are looking at. Do you mean more stats for unique creatures? More art or better?

nevin

Hero
I understand why they are doing the latter. The broader the appeal, the more sales they make. That's been the trend since they took over D&D. 2e had lots of hyper-focused books (books just for one class or one race or whatever). 3e and 4e had books for broader groups (martial classes, arcane casters, divine casters, etc). 5e's taken that a step further and just made it so every book has a little of something for everyone.

It is a bit annoying but understandable.

What I would really like is for them to spend more time on the quality. Volo's was mostly high quality, with the possible exception of the playable races, which really weren't playtested/balanced enough. Xanathar's is a real hit-or-miss book, with some really good stuff, some really bad stuff, and a whole lot of meh stuff that could've been better with a bit more time/effort. Mordenkainen's was OK but the theme was really weak and the inclusion of the gnomes/halflings section made little sense thematically.

I think so far I like the Ravnica, Eberron and Wildemount books best after Volo's. I'd love them to do more in the style of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which was fantastic in terms of what it did have but it also could have had so much more in it ...).

I want less of the Xanathar's type book, but it looks like we'll be getting another one this November.
I can understand wanting each book to have something for everyone and broaden the appeal, the danger there though is a lot of books that just have a tiny bit for everyone. That's kind of like buying bags of m&m's just for one color. You don't really get much for your money. Or at least you don't get much of what you wanted for your money might be a fairer statement

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I can understand wanting each book to have something for everyone and broaden the appeal, the danger there though is a lot of books that just have a tiny bit for everyone. That's kind of like buying bags of m&m's just for one color. You don't really get much for your money. Or at least you don't get much of what you wanted for your money might be a fairer statement

Plus doing it this way makes your GM have to carry like 10 books instead of say, 2 more focused books.

Think of our backs!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, I guess "need" is a strong word; really all I "need" is the core rulebooks. (Oh, and every BECM book ever published, in their original boxes if possible, and Good or Uncirculated condition.)

But with that said, I am always picking up interesting-looking books to put on my shelf, and Wizards of the Coast has put out lots of interesting-looking books over the past few years. Tasha's looked interesting, so I bought it. Acquisitions Inc? Pbbth.

Remove ads