• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Too many cooks (a DnDN retrospective)

Sonny

Adventurer
While I remain optimisitc, I am starting to get worried about the direction NEXT is taking.

3.) Expertise Dice: The Cure All for Martials

In the beginning, fighters got combat superiority to show off maneuvers and increase damage. It was new and innovative. It gave fighters a new toy without getting stuck on the "longsword or die" feat specialization chain. Then rogues got it to fix the "sneak attack/skill mastery' duality issue. Then monks got it to represent chopy-socky. Now rangers, paladins, barbarians, warlords, and anyone else proficient with swords is going to get them. Its overused already. Monks have ki points to show off martial arts. Rangers have favored enemies to increase damage. Paladins have smites, barbarians rage. We don't need to give them all expertise dice. We need unique mechanics to keep the feel of paladins, rangers, barbarians and fighters unique.

I haven't seen anyone come up with a better way of handling other martial characters attacks then the current suggested use of expertise dice. If people can find a new mechanic that works as good, I'm up for it. However:

1. It needs to be able to be a mechanic that's expandable, so people playing rangers and paladins can choose to just straight up smack things round after round ala 1e or be able to use the 4e power heavy attacks.

2. Needs to do so on the fly. The earlier goal of having someone play a 1e style character at the same table with 3e or 4e style characters needs a mechanic that doesn't permanently lock them into such a play style. If said 1e or 4e player wants to switch from one style to the other, he shouldn't have to rebuild his character to make the switch.

3. The new mechanic shouldn't be expertise dice with new set dressing. Otherwise, what's the point?

Tony Vargas

Legend
2. Needs to do so on the fly. The earlier goal of having someone play a 1e style character at the same table with 3e or 4e style characters needs a mechanic that doesn't permanently lock them into such a play style. If said 1e or 4e player wants to switch from one style to the other, he shouldn't have to rebuild his character to make the switch.
I think that goal has been dropped and is getting the plausible deniability treatment...

DMs will choose which past ed to vaguely emulate using modules. Players will have to find the right DM for the play experience they want.

Sonny

Adventurer
I think that goal has been dropped and is getting the plausible deniability treatment...

DMs will choose which past ed to vaguely emulate using modules. Players will have to find the right DM for the play experience they want.

That's too bad, since it was a worthy goal.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
To put it bluntly, that's BS.

Just because people don't agree what mechanics should be put in place for each class doesn't mean every class should be cookie cut-outs of one another. The fact is, D&D is a game which includes classes. If the classes aren't different, there's no reason to have them at all instead of using a skill system. The mechanics represent the differences in story. They're how you translate the story into functioning mechanics, to use during actual game-play... which is necessary, since it's a game, and games are defined by their rules.

The point isn't that class can't have different mechanics. Absolutely they can. But my point is that it shouldn't be WOTC'S absolute decision which classes use which mechanics. Because whatever they end up choosing will only be embraced by a small percentage of the D&D populace, and the others will bitch about it, and probably outright refuse to play.

That's why they're talking about doing modules in the first place. So that they can put out several types of mechanics to use, and then let individual DMs CHOOSE which mechanics they like and don't like, and can use them for their classes as THEY SEE FIT.

Do you honestly believe the game will be embraced by the general D&D populace if WotC makes the decision that Wizards are Vancian and that's it? All because of the supposed idea that without "concrete" mechanics for a class, that the class has no identity? And what if by that same argument WotC makes the decision that ALL martial classes use Expertise Dice? Do you think that'll go over?

As I've mentioned to everyone who's brought it up before... those people who say you can't have several different mechanics to choose from for any particular class (left up to the DM to select when he's putting his campaign together)... would only want "one mechanic to rule them all" just so long as they actually like the mechanic their class got assigned. Cause if WotC ended up giving them a mechanic they didn't like with no easy way to not use it and use something else instead... they'll just end up playing whatever other version of the game that gave them what they wanted in the first place.

What if their story isn't different? What if two players want to play twins, who both grew up studying under famous warrior priests at the temple in their nation's capitol, and one player decides to be a Fighter/Cleric, and one decides to be a paladin? Flavor-wise, what's the difference between a Fighter/Cleric who's totally LG, and a Paladin, both worshiping the same deity?

What if Paladin class fluff doesn't have Paladin's worshipping deities? What if they are knightly champions of a cause? What if they have a specific Order, a la the Templars or Knight Hospitalers? What if being a Paladin was by definition different than being a Fighter/Cleric by how the class's Story was designed? THAT'S how you differentiate a Paladin from a Fighter/Cleric. How you differentiate a Sorcerer from a Wizard. How you differentiate a Bard from a Rogue/Wizard? Or Ranger from Fighter with a Nature background?

If ALL you used for differentiation was mechanics... you might as well just make two classes. One that uses weapons, the other that uses spells. After all... a Cleric is just a spellcaster with a very specific list of spells to use. The whole "get our spells from the god we worship" is entirely Class Story and has no actual mechanics to back it up.

Classes are not fluff, classes are mechanics designed to fit in with the fluff. If classes were fluff, then why would you call military leaders by their rank instead of their class? If class is fluff, then why is the wise man in the woods called a shaman instead of a Druid? And then when the new PHB comes out and introduces Shamans as a class, does he switch classes just because people have traditionally labeled him something? Or, rather, do Shamans and Druids simply both fit into a particular sort of nich, their titles in game not necessarily being written in stone? While classes tend to have role-playing tie-ins, is it wrong of an NPC to call both of those twins "Paladin"? Perhaps the clergy does have a slot in their hierarchy somewhere which is labeled "Paladin", but does that mean people who are not in that slot cannot be Paladins, or that people cannot fill that role who are not Paladins? And in those cases, do they adopt or lose the class due to gaining or losing the position?

Using class names in the game or out of the game is not the point. Any DM can call these classes whatever they want within their own game. But the whole point is that just using game mechanics as a way to distinguish classes is no way to inspire more people to play or come back to D&D. Because if those mechanics don't WORK for someone... they just won't play the game. So if we all embrace the idea that a Fighter is a Fighter because of what being a fighter represents within the Story of the game... then we can have several modules of different mechanics (some simple, some complex, some just with damage, some with bizarre fencing maneuvers) that any particular DM and/or player can USE to represent what his Fighter can do.

I submit the belief that WotC is much more likely to get a predominant agreement from the D&D populace on what the Story of what a specific class is... then they are on what kinds of mechanics should be used to represent it. And thus... let's use THAT as the way to distinguish one class from another, and not get so fixated on choosing one mechanic (and only one mechanic) to use for it. Because that is going to cause much more angina than asking DMs to select from several modules of different mechanics to use.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I don't think it's really possible to define a game for the two polar opposites of:

1. Make a well-designed system that works under a wider variety of influences and flavor, versus,

2. Drive everything with the flavor X, and I'll tweak it, change it, fudge it, ignore it, as needed.

You can do one or the other for a whole host of games, and have something that a fair number of people may enjoy and appreciate. But there really isn't much crossover between those who appreciate good design aesthetically and those who make flavor king, design be damned.

Animal

First Post
2.) Spellcasting: Pick your type

Rather than having three (or more) different casters with unique casting mechanics, the trend is aiming toward three classes with different lists and possible casting tweaks and then choosing your spellcasting resource type (slots, points, ADE) which also further weakens each archetype. This is especially true if your DM limits/chooses one type for his campaign (we all use spellpoints) and then makes wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks all point casters. Rather than making all casters unique, they fall back to "one size fits all, but now you can choose S, M, or L".
You forget that you don't have to pick same casting mechanics for every class. You can still have wizards, sorcs and warlocks with completely different casting mechanics like in older editions if you so want.
Thus your argument here is completely unfair and invalid.

I do agree that Expertise Dice become quite overused and looks like its bloating class mechanics now.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I believe, expertise dice would fulfil the damage inflation mechanic quite well.

It's a rather ugly way to implement damage progression though isn't it? I mean, just looking at the jumps we see 2d8 turn into 3d10 suddenly at one point, almost doubling your additional damage. Can we not do something simple? Additional damage per level? Additional damage dice (based on weapon) at certain levels? Additional attacks at certain levels?

I'm afraid I don't agree. When it comes to multiclassing, having unique subsystems for each class will either be a nightmare or a munchin's wet dream (or both).

Let each class determine how/what the dice can be used for, but keep the dice pool as one place it's all drawn from.

As an anology, we don't need to be tracking Duetchmarks, Francs and Pounds. Just use the Euro. France will still be France and Germany Germany, but you don't have to convert your money every time you visit a new county.

Unique mechanics don't have to be munchkin-fodder. You can distinguish clearly what features of a character increase by level and what features increase by specific class level. You can have overlapping, but different mechanics from different classes such that you can only use one at once. You can set up systems that broaden, but do not deepen, when you multiclass (spellcasting goes too far with this, however).

CroBob

First Post
The point isn't that class can't have different mechanics. Absolutely they can. But my point is that it shouldn't be WOTC'S absolute decision which classes use which mechanics. Because whatever they end up choosing will only be embraced by a small percentage of the D&D populace, and the others will bitch about it, and probably outright refuse to play.

That's why they're talking about doing modules in the first place. So that they can put out several types of mechanics to use, and then let individual DMs CHOOSE which mechanics they like and don't like, and can use them for their classes as THEY SEE FIT.

Do you honestly believe the game will be embraced by the general D&D populace if WotC makes the decision that Wizards are Vancian and that's it? All because of the supposed idea that without "concrete" mechanics for a class, that the class has no identity? And what if by that same argument WotC makes the decision that ALL martial classes use Expertise Dice? Do you think that'll go over?

As I've mentioned to everyone who's brought it up before... those people who say you can't have several different mechanics to choose from for any particular class (left up to the DM to select when he's putting his campaign together)... would only want "one mechanic to rule them all" just so long as they actually like the mechanic their class got assigned. Cause if WotC ended up giving them a mechanic they didn't like with no easy way to not use it and use something else instead... they'll just end up playing whatever other version of the game that gave them what they wanted in the first place.

They could also just make those mechanics aspects of different classes, and the DM just chooses which class he likes, or allow them all. That is, essentially, what's being done with each class now. The modules would change the mechanics of the class so much that it's essentially another class, but if you want only one of those kinds of things in your game, just choose that class to fill the "Magic-Man!" role. Now, I'm not against the idea of modules, and I understand how they could easily improve the game. They also allow a widely different game between groups. not necessarily bad, but what about people who move fairly often, who have a good game with their friends, then they move, and they can't find a DM who allows the mechanics they like? It's like dealing with edition wars all over again, just all wrapped up in the same game.

What if Paladin class fluff doesn't have Paladin's worshipping deities? What if they are knightly champions of a cause? What if they have a specific Order, a la the Templars or Knight Hospitalers? What if being a Paladin was by definition different than being a Fighter/Cleric by how the class's Story was designed? THAT'S how you differentiate a Paladin from a Fighter/Cleric. How you differentiate a Sorcerer from a Wizard. How you differentiate a Bard from a Rogue/Wizard? Or Ranger from Fighter with a Nature background?

Yes, sure, that could work. All you have to do is change the fluff. However, you could do exactly the same thing with the Fighter/Cleric. I mean, they're called "hybrid" classes for a reason. They mix up the roles of other, primary classes into one class. If they have a specific order, and one of your players wanted to make a Fighter/Cleric instead of Paladin and change the same aspects of his Clergihood as you changed the Paladin, why say no? I'm not trying to diminish the Paladin, or any hybrid class, of it's potentially unique flavor or mechanical role, but the hybrid classes are, well, hybrids. Anything you can change about the hybrid class you can also change about the base classes or their combination such that they're, story-wise, still the same concept.

Why is it necessary to differentiate between any of those class combinations you named except because the mechanics or current fluff say so? Is it necessary, or does the differentiation exist only because people prefer their options? The specific title of a class isn't half as important as what the class actually does. What do I want to do such that I'd choose Paladin over Fighter/Cleric? There's not currently any fluff which would separate them in conception. That's done by the individuals who design the campaign with the "Association of We're Paladins and Not Fighter/Clerics" (the specific fluff is irrelevant, the point is the campaign differentiates between them).

If ALL you used for differentiation was mechanics... you might as well just make two classes. One that uses weapons, the other that uses spells. After all... a Cleric is just a spellcaster with a very specific list of spells to use. The whole "get our spells from the god we worship" is entirely Class Story and has no actual mechanics to back it up.

Sure, but that's diminishing the class concept even more. I'm not saying that fluff cannot be used to differentiate between classes. Indeed, I've been pointing out that it's fluff which makes Paladins and Fighter Clerics comparable in the first place. Their mechanics are certainly not identical, or else why would this even come up? What I'm saying is that generic fantasy and general D&D lore places Fighter/Clerics and Paladins in very similar, often overlapping fluff-niches. When two classes (or class combinations) can fill the same social, adventuring, political, or whatever role, why prohibit one of them from doing it simply because of the title of their class?

Using class names in the game or out of the game is not the point. Any DM can call these classes whatever they want within their own game. But the whole point is that just using game mechanics as a way to distinguish classes is no way to inspire more people to play or come back to D&D. Because if those mechanics don't WORK for someone... they just won't play the game. So if we all embrace the idea that a Fighter is a Fighter because of what being a fighter represents within the Story of the game... then we can have several modules of different mechanics (some simple, some complex, some just with damage, some with bizarre fencing maneuvers) that any particular DM and/or player can USE to represent what his Fighter can do.

That's an idea I'm not against, I'm simply saying I don't consider it necessarily a good one. It is, after all, essentially having the same thing as a bunch of different classes, all with the name "Fighter". Further, plenty of people like or dislike a system based on, well, the system itself. 4th edition and all of it's dissenters have proven that to be the case. There was no significant flavoring differences between 3rd and 4th edition Fighters. Fluff-wise, the fighter is the same. The mechanics are what drove many people away. RPGs, especially D&D, are not defined by their fluff, because any DM can change any of the fluff to suit his particular campaign. Fluff is essentially optional. It's good to have default fluff, since most people don't want to invent entire new worlds all on their own, but my point is it's not necessary. Fluff can be granted or taken away on the fly. The mechanics, on the other hand, define what can be done.

I submit the belief that WotC is much more likely to get a predominant agreement from the D&D populace on what the Story of what a specific class is... then they are on what kinds of mechanics should be used to represent it. And thus... let's use THAT as the way to distinguish one class from another, and not get so fixated on choosing one mechanic (and only one mechanic) to use for it. Because that is going to cause much more angina than asking DMs to select from several modules of different mechanics to use.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on this point. I'm only trying to figure out exactly what the difference is between modules, and different classes all with the same name. I'm certainly for customization of classes, but where is the line where it's still a specific class, and why are modules better than a bunch of different classes with different mechanics but which fill the same role story-wise?

hamstertamer

First Post
Worthy, but so ambitious. Fans of each edition, able to play characters that evoked the feel of the corresponding edition, at the same table, and it all balancing.

If 5e could have done that...

Um, I don't think people are going to want to play with players at their table playing different edition styles. It's really a table to table thing, not a player to player thing.

The whole play your own style at the table was just a marketing gimmick.

Remove ads