• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tournament of Champions CR .5 to 5 (Archive)

Komodo

First Post
Protectar II raises his sword into the air in glorious salute, then flaps his muscular wings and takes off across the battlefield, stopping at 80N15E5Z and hovering in the air, his blade held ready to strike.

Readying an attack.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Fang flexes his wings and calls out to Protectar in draconic, "Ah, they bring me fresh meat." Fang flies along the ground, charging to 75n20e to bite Protectar in the nads. Despite his tiny size, Fang's powerful jaw muscles and huge, well, fangs, look quite dangerous.

Details - not for Komodo:
[sblock] Feats are Blind-fight and Improved Natural Attack (bite).
Skills are Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Listen, Search, and Spot.
Because of the feat and his ability, this makes his bite attack 1d8 and the claws are 1d4. If Fang hits, I'm curious if he can trip up Protectar's wings while flying. [/sblock]

PJSlavner

Explorer
Round 1

Protectar II moved more than his movement rate (going up is half speed), so he could not ready an attack.

Fang's fangs glance off Protectar's shiny breastplate (rolled 14+2=16).

For Infiniti only:

[SBlock]Fang can trip Protectar's wings with a hit, but Fang does not get the trip ability with his bite.[/SBlock]

Your move, Protectar.

Last edited:

Komodo

First Post
Well, crap. You could have told me that before I was assaulted by a spiny winged reptile. :)

'Tectar 2 returns the favor with an arcing swing of his longsword.
"So they've been feeding you old meat up until now?" he responds, grinning heartily and using tongues to communicate with the dragon (we'll just say he had this readied a long time ago. It's not like it matters.)

PJSlavner

Explorer
Komodo said:
Well, crap. You could have told me that before I was assaulted by a spiny winged reptile. :)

If it were the regular BoAA, I would have, but we are more strict in the ToC.

Tongues is not readied, because it was not declared to be readied. You would not want to ready it against an unknown opponent, anyway, because then you would be susceptible to language-dependant attacks against you.

The blade arcs down very well (rolled 22+1=23), hacking the dragon for 10 points of damage. Fang has 12 HP remaining.

PJSlavner

Explorer
Fang does as well as Protectar, biting (rolled 19) for 8 points of damage. Protectar is too tough to succomb to other effects of the bite (rolled 21 Fort save), but is down to 5 HP.

Round 3!

Komodo

First Post
Protectar grunts in pain, but keeps a straight face. He sings out a quick prayer, and the bite wound begins to close.

Casting defensively, with a total bonus of +12 to the Concentration check.

If by some miraculous chance he fails and Fang makes an AoO (whether it hits or not), Protectar will use his move action to fly backwards to 60N10E5Z.

PJSlavner

Explorer
Fang cannot make an AoO if you cast defensively. If you fail, the spell is lost. Also, the bonus is +11, not +12.

Protectar barely gets the spell off (rolled 16 Concentration check - good thing he has that feat), curing himself up to 13 HP.

Remove ads