D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I refer back to Morrus's thread regarding the D&D changes to highlight how, release after release it is increasingly evident that the aesthetics of D&D illustrations are changing.

What do you think of this trend?

DISCLAIMER
The purpose of the poll is not to indicate a determined and precise change in art. Everybody here has a different perception about where the art is going and all perceptions are ok. You can also sustain that there's no change at all. But if you feel that there is a change, you can simply say if it goes in the direction you want or not.

To be more clear: nobody here is asking you if the art is veering toward disney or something like that. You need only to ask you to yourself 1: is it changing? 2 if yes I like its direction? No more, no less.

Last edited:

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
As I mentioned in an other thread, I don't care for the changes. One person compared them to my little pony. I wouldn't go that far. I would say that the illustrations are being Disneyfied.

I understand why though. They want to make the game more appealing to a wider audience including kids

But why not just make the illustrations "softer" instead of crossing the line into Disney?

It isn't just the illustrations - the choice of race (species, really) has expanded to include anthropomorphized rabbits and turtles. How about a game of Alice in Wonderland? Anyone?

But again, obviously they were added to appeal to a younger audience.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I would find a poll more useful if it itemized the different possibilities in D&D. Then the result would show what ENWorlders want out of their D&D experience.

For illustrations an option could include:
  • photorealistic fantasy art
  • black-and-white drawings
  • humorous cartoons
  • stylized semi-realistic (Wayne Reynalds)
  • cute monster kittens/puppies
  • cute PC races, like halfling

and so on.

Add a section for gameplay styles, including percentages of combat.

and so on.

Settings, official or homebrew
Settings, mixed (multiverse, spelljammer)
Settings, standalone (eberron, dark sun)
Settings, Magic the Gathering

Try get an exhaustive list of the different experiences of D&D.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The current D&D hardcover. Clearly D&D embraces a wide range of aesthetics and tones. The premise of the question is flawed, so it can’t be answered.

7EC66AD3-3EC9-4EB8-80FE-C541ED197257.jpeg
7D67E540-546E-4CCC-AF6A-D8DE201550B7.jpeg
901522C3-AEB4-4E8A-BBAA-9B4FCAB9780E.jpeg

Mournblade94

Adventurer
So the thing I object to in D&D Art Aesthetic is not the diversity of the subject. Its that is going more towards the modern. Thats simply not what I want out of D&D. I have other games for Modern.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I would find a poll more useful if it itemized the different possibilities in D&D. Then the result would show what ENWorlders want out of their D&D experience.

For illustrations an option could include:
  • photorealistic fantasy art
  • black-and-white drawings
  • humorous cartoons
  • stylized semi-realistic (Wayne Reynalds)
  • cute monster kittens/puppies
  • cute PC races, like halfling

and so on.

Add a section for gameplay styles, including percentages of combat.

and so on.

Settings, official or homebrew
Settings, mixed (multiverse, spelljammer)
Settings, standalone (eberron, dark sun)
Settings, Magic the Gathering

Try get an exhaustive list of the different experiences of D&D.
Yes, that sounds like it would make for interesting thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases