• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Transformers

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Michael Bay directs a live-action, 2.5 hour PG-13 version of the cartoon. Armageddon + The Rock meets Transformers. It's going to irritate some people.

Pros: The robots (obviously). Look great, sound great, move great. Every scene with them was lots of fun.

Cons: the standard Michael Bay stuff, like cheesy drama and "realistic" shaky camera action. It borders on nerve-wracking.

This is a movie that you go to watch and see and hear. Ignore all the other junk, exercise a little patience, and you will be rewarded with a spectacular sensory experience. Find the nearest theater with the biggest screens, best sound systems, and see it there. Is this bad-boy out on IMAX? If not, it should be.

If you have any inclination to see this movie, spend the 8 bucks and experience it in a theater. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you don't.

Randolpho

First Post
Asmor said:
Oh, and I really wish I could find my Transformers: The Movie DVD :( So jonesing for it right now, wanted to watch it before the movie.

Curse you, I'm gonna be singing/humming/whistling "You got the touch!" all day now!

Halivar

First Post
My childhood obsession with Transformers knows no bounds. For the last 21 years, I have fantasized (at least once a week) about what a live-action Transformers movie would look like and what I would want it to look like.

Michael Bay took all my dreams, :eek::eek::eek::eek: on them, and screamed "Not good enough! Let me show you what BIG :eek::eek::eek::eek:ING ROBOTS should be!"

Half-way through the movie, my contacts were killing my eyes due to the fact that I had not blinked in an hour (thus did my friends think I was crying).

This movie is awesome. It truly honors my childhood nostalgia. It is, bar none, the best movie adaptation of any cartoon I have ever seen.

PS: When Optimus quoted the '86 movie, "It ends this day, Megatron! One shall stand, one shall fall!" I wanted to squeal like an 8-year-old.

GlassJaw

Hero
Halivar said:
This movie is awesome. It truly honors my childhood nostalgia. It is, bar none, the best movie adaptation of any cartoon I have ever seen.

Yeah, I thought Transformers really paid homage to the old-school cartoon and the hardcore fans while still updating the genre for more casual moviegoers. It's also been a while where people were actually clapping during the movie.

DonTadow

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Michael Bay directs a live-action, 2.5 hour PG-13 version of the cartoon. Armageddon + The Rock meets Transformers. It's going to irritate some people.

Pros: The robots (obviously). Look great, sound great, move great. Every scene with them was lots of fun.

Cons: the standard Michael Bay stuff, like cheesy drama and "realistic" shaky camera action. It borders on nerve-wracking.
You know what? I've never heard a single person say how much they like shaky cameras during action scenes. Why on earth do they keep doing it. It's like you can't appreciate the action because the camera is gyrating all over the place.

Asmor

First Post
DonTadow said:
You know what? I've never heard a single person say how much they like shaky cameras during action scenes. Why on earth do they keep doing it. It's like you can't appreciate the action because the camera is gyrating all over the place.

Amen.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
DonTadow said:

Maybe because it puts you in media res, as it were. I guess the idea is that the shaking camera makes it seem like you're right in the middle of the chaos, as opposed to viewing it through a window.

For what it's worth, I can appreciate the technique used conservatively. Firefly and Battlestar Galactica use well, but not to the point where it obscures awesome visuals. Transformers does it way too often for my taste, and there were a few times where I thought "Gee, I bet whatever's happening is really awesome, but I have no idea because the camera's about as steady as a homemade Bigfoot video."

But don't get me wrong, for all my issues with it, it's a great flick.

Goldmoon

First Post
Halivar said:
PS: When Optimus quoted the '86 movie, "It ends this day, Megatron! One shall stand, one shall fall!" I wanted to squeal like an 8-year-old.

I'm a 31 year old woman and I DID squeal like an 8-year-old.

Halivar said:

In the theater I was in, the entire audience cheered at that. Might have been squealing, too. :)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Halivar said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would wager that this line was the winner of the "Put words in Prime's mouth" contest the website had going almost a year ago.

Remove ads