• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Transformers

Felon

First Post
drothgery said:
Saw this afternoon. Definitely a fun romp. The plot-lines got a little cheesy. Hollywood's insistance that 3/4 of all star computer geeks be something other than dorky white or Asian guys (unlike the vast majority of real computer geeks) grates.
Hollywood's insistence that dorks get paired-off with ridiculously hot supermodel chicks also grates...yet gratifies to no end as well! :lol:

Felon

First Post
thatdarncat said:
Per IMDB, that'd be "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project". You've summed up what's known about the movie pretty well. :)
Wikipedia refers to it as "Cloverfield", but yeah the movie isn't even finished yet, despite the trailer being shown.

Felon said:
Wikipedia refers to it as "Cloverfield", but yeah the movie isn't even finished yet, despite the trailer being shown.
It definitely got the attention of the theater I was in.

It was the last of the previews shown, and when it ended with NO name, the entire theater erupted. Most of the cries were "WHAT?!" and "COME ON!" but there were a fair amount of not-so-grandma-friendly phrases in there, too.

Asmor

First Post
I know most of my friends, and myself as well, are quite intrigued by "Cloverfield." Godzilla from the PoV of the extras sounds like it could be a pretty cool concept.

DonTadow

First Post
drothgery said:
Saw this afternoon. Definitely a fun romp. The plot-lines got a little cheesy. Hollywood's insistance that 3/4 of all star computer geeks be something other than dorky white or Asian guys (unlike the vast majority of real computer geeks) grates. Continued small arms against giant robots that have proved immune to small arms fire, especially when they're disguising themselves as things that normally wouldn't be bothered by small arms fire grates; you'd like to see someone break out a grenade, or a shoulder-launched missile if you're not going to give the 'important' humans tanks or planes.

But that's nitpickery. Best geek movie so far this summer.
It's always good to have an african american or hip-hop friendly actor in a movie because it helps them advertise and get press in urban media. I think anthony's role was pushed though in transformers considering he's playing someone way younger than who he is. Perhaps my images of him are tainted from seeing his role in the shieds where he appears to play someone in his 30s or 40s.

Arkhandus

First Post
GLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :p

I just saw Transformers, and it was sweet! :cool:

A few minor things I didn't like, but all in all it was a good action movie. Too much focus on the humans was one of my minor problems with it, though. :heh: :p

Bumblebee was funny, and Jazz was cool though he didn't get much screentime (like I said, too much focus on the humans). Some of the fights were a bit too short, but the last battle goes on quite a while, so it kinda balances out. And it definitely shows just why Megatron and Optimus are the leaders of their factions; they each make short, easy work of a lesser opponent at least once. :cool: :]

frankthedm

First Post
DonTadow said:
You know what? I've never heard a single person say how much they like shaky cameras during action scenes. Why on earth do they keep doing it. It's like you can't appreciate the action because the camera is gyrating all over the place.
I feel it can work. Unfortunately shaky camera{and most first person perspective games] gives me a nasty headache if i watch them too long. IMHO it worked nicely for Blair Witch, sadly if i watch it through i will suffer a buttload of pain.

I liked the film. I think we got lucky with as bad as hollywood can mess things up.

I loved how they tried to catch up on their lowbrow humor quota from the past 2 decades.

Last edited:

Fun movie. I loved it. And considering how much I loathed just about everything else Michael Bay has touched, that is saying something.

It's a summertime blockbuster popcorn flick. And it doesn't dissapoint, although I would have preferred giving the Jazz, Ironhide, and Ratchet a bit more screentime as opposed to all the meatbags or stuff like Bumblebee spilling gasoline/lubricant on the Sector 7 guy. Though I did crack a grin at Prime saying "my bad" after stepping on the yard fountain, or his answer about the Autobots learning all about Earth culture from the World Wide Web (which could have been frightening if any of them had come across 4chan), or the glasses ("eBay").

And since (if I'm remembering correclty) it was the lead F22 Raptor that blasted Megs (aka Starscream after trashing a bunch of other F22 Raptors), then we indeed got our backstabbing Starscream. And Prime taking out Bonecrusher with the forearm sword was a great homage to his energy axe from the 80's TV series.

I'm seriously hoping for a director's cut, hopefully with more Autobot characterization and action sequences put in.

Felon

First Post
Asmor said:
I know most of my friends, and myself as well, are quite intrigued by "Cloverfield." Godzilla from the PoV of the extras sounds like it could be a pretty cool concept.
In theory, yeah, but it takes more than a little skill to make it believable as to why the extras are standing on the street waiting to get stepped on by the something that isn't exactly subtle. Evacuate, guys. Might be a bridge smashed here, a few pile-ups there, but it'd be pretty tough to block all of the ways out of New York.

Guess it'd have to be Manhattan in particular.

Felon

First Post
Donovan Morningfire said:
Though I did crack a grin at Prime saying "my bad" after stepping on the yard fountain, or his answer about the Autobots learning all about Earth culture from the World Wide Web (which could have been frightening if any of them had come across 4chan), or the glasses ("eBay").
Reminded me a lot of "Small Soldiers" in those scenes, patricularly with them bickering with each other while trying to evade parental notice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads