D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

It really has to be this way, or else you get glyph-based hand grenades and cannon balls. But I suppose that, again, if "initial casting location" is defined with respect to a vehicle, you could glyph a spellbook in the captain's cabin and as long as you didn't remove it from the cabin it would work.

Hmmm... I see what you mean. This is a thorny issue to consider.
So we cast Glyph on a table on the deck of a ship.
DM: the ship is moving, 10 feet and it loses its magic
Player: so you are using the ocean as the point of reference as "stationary"?
DM: of course
Player: we throw the table over the side so it stays "stationary"
DM: the enemy ship is closing as you proceed with this foolishness
Player:. Torpedo away! KaBOOM
DM:. Um... let's discuss "stationary" again.

jiriku

First Post
I played a recent 5e campaign in which we were using the un-errata'd version of glyph, and based on the argument that tables are portable (our half--orc fighter frequently used them as thrown weapons), convinced him that applying a glyph "on a surface" that was portable could always trump the stationary requirement. This did lead to hand grenades and explosive cannon balls (we had an airship). It was good times, and kept the ship relevant at high levels and kept the melee fighters in the game against flying airborne enemies.

But throughout, I had this dirty feeling that as the designated God wizard I was creating faux party balance by arranging things so that the BSFs didn't realize that they were just encounter furniture and the casters were doing all the heavy lifting. It should have been DM rulings maintaining party balance, not my actions as the player. But I suppose I'm wandering far afield now, as this is more about the endless fighter/wizard brouhaha rather than a good functional definition of "stationary." I've got a friend from my group coming over tonight; I'm going to show him what you wrote and ask his opinion. The guy's much smarter than me, it'll be interesting to see his take.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So we cast Glyph on a table on the deck of a ship.
DM: the ship is moving, 10 feet and it loses its magic
Player: so you are using the ocean as the point of reference as "stationary"?
DM: of course
Player: we throw the table over the side so it stays "stationary"
DM: the enemy ship is closing as you proceed with this foolishness
Player:. Torpedo away! KaBOOM
DM:. Um... let's discuss "stationary" again.

Exactly... this issue deserves its own thread IMO.

Met my DM for breakfast today. Brought up the Major Image question and the various sides of the discussion we had here. He's going to think about it, but his first instict was that he would consider a ring on a finger to be stationary relative to the finger it was cast on. He reminded me that it would be an action to move it from the finger, which was my intent anyways. Always good to have communication with your DM on any murky issues.

It's amazing how discussion of DnD magic mechanics parallels real-world physics and the inherent problems that arrise when one attempts to define an absolute reference system. Congratulations guys, you are about to discover the theory of Arcane Special Relativity. (awesome guide btw, thanks treant).

It's amazing how discussion of DnD magic mechanics parallels real-world physics and the inherent problems that arrise when one attempts to define an absolute reference system. Congratulations guys, you are about to discover the theory of Arcane Special Relativity. (awesome guide btw, thanks treant).
Albert Einspell is currently working on the formula.

momosh666

First Post
@ Treantmonk, rf. the earlier comments on spell selection through leveling & rf. your latest 12lv Illusionist, would you mind sharing which spells you picked at each level progression vs spells written from SB, scrolls, etc?

@ Treantmonk, rf. the earlier comments on spell selection through leveling & rf. your latest 12lv Illusionist, would you mind sharing which spells you picked at each level progression vs spells written from SB, scrolls, etc?

I'm afraid I don't have a record of that. I can show you what the character looks like now:
GALATAR

momosh666

First Post
Great to see in practice how the you embodied the guide. Many interesting things to think about:
a) Prodigy into Stealth & disguise kit
b) Did you go Alert > ASI > Tough > Prodigy ?
c) 2 damage cantrips vs for instance Prestidigitation
d) Did you start the character at higher level?; questions is coming from not seeing the usual suspects in lv1 spells for early game (silent image, sleep, tasha, grease, etc.)
e) Lv3 picks: Magic Circle/Hypnotic Pattern over Major Image?
f) Lv4 picks: Dimension door? What's the synergy I'm missing?
g) I don't understand your lv5 picks :) I guess seeming has to do with going stealth/disguise kit. Synaptic static I am not sure.

Thanks again for the guide which I've been using for over a year now.

Last edited:

Great to see in practice how the you embodied the guide. Many interesting things to think about:
a) Prodigy into Stealth & disguise kit
b) Did you go Alert > ASI > Tough > Prodigy ?
No. OK, so this is how it went down. This is a campaign that the DM is converting on the fly from a previous edition. Usually that works fine, but at level 7 my halfling bard took over 100 points of damage from an enemy in one round, killing him outright. I decided the replacement character better have toughness if he's a D6 HD wizard, so that was the level 1 feat.

Prodigy came as a DM reward. He decided to give us all racial feats if we wrote backstories for our characters.

Alert was my level 12 feat.

c) 2 damage cantrips vs for instance Prestidigitation

I normally take prestidigitation with my wizards, I deliberately avoided it with this character as the campaign is a more gritty, dirty feel, and I didn't think this was the kind of character to clean themselves, flavor their food or similar effects with a snap of his fingers.

I use Toll of the Dead as my primary damage cantrip. Frostbite is probably getting switched out each level, though necrotic immunity is not uncommon in this campaign, so I could see switching it out for a Firebolt.

d) Did you start the character at higher level?; questions is coming from not seeing the usual suspects in lv1 spells for early game (silent image, sleep, tasha, grease, etc.)
Yes, 7th level, to replace dead halfling

e) Lv3 picks: Magic Circle/Hypnotic Pattern over Major Image?
Read back a couple pages and you'll know why I'm not preparing Major Image (I have permanent major images I alter with malleable illusions). I would never take Hypnotic Pattern off my prepared list. It's been the most successful spell this character has had. Hypnotic Pattern is a monster. Even with all the different campaigns I've used it, I still get DM's asking me when those affected get a new saving throw, and glee when I tell them that they don't.

f) Lv4 picks: Dimension door? What's the synergy I'm missing?
This is a cautious character. Dimension Door is my escape spell. We often end up running in this campaign, as often challenges are way above our level.
g) I don't understand your lv5 picks :) I guess seeming has to do with going stealth/disguise kit. Synaptic static I am not sure.
Seeming: We are currently infiltrating an evil city. There are no humans, elves or dwarves in this city except us. Seeming is very important.
Synaptic Static is a great Debuff/Blast that targets Int. I don't use it a lot, but I still think it's a good choice.
Bigby's Hand is also a lovely spell, with some great versatility. I couple sessions ago it grabbed a dragon and prevented it from flying away while the party gronks killed it. Very HANDY!

I should mention that Animate Objects is a spell I specifically avoided, because it's ALWAYS my level 5 spell. Just wanted to give some different spells a try. Now if you haven't seen an overuse of Animate Objects, it should be your first level 5 pick for your wizard or bard.

Thanks again for the guide which I've been using for over a year now.
Thank you!

Remove ads