Trying to build a tank Goliath... any suggestions?

tigg75

First Post
Right now I have a 12th Level Goliath concept in mind. Here it is.

Str: 22
Dex: 19
Con: 20
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 9

I am having him use a giant long sword, or greatsword if you prefer. Same stats, and when given his Powerful Build ability, I figured he could use two of them one handed and go the two weapon route.

Feats:
Combat Expertise: so I can get Sense Weakness
Sense Weakness: because my GM puts a lot of creatures with DR against us
Improved Initiative
Improved Critical
Two-Weapon Fighting
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
Melee Weapon Mastery/ Slashing
Weapon Focus: Greatsword
Weapon Specialization: Greatsword
Greater Wepon Focus
Greater Weapon Specilization

BTW it is a straight fighter.

Zzyzx

First Post
tigg75 said:
I am having him use a giant long sword, or greatsword if you prefer. Same stats, and when given his Powerful Build ability, I figured he could use two of them one handed and go the two weapon route.

In my experience, a two weapon fighter should have a light weapon in his off hand to make the build worth it.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting

This build has two large-sized longswords so in the rules cited above he is still stuck with -4 to both attacks.

If it were me, I would focus on AC and one good weapon that you can use two-handed if necessary. That is what "tank" means to me anyway -- good melee damage (but still needs to hit) and good AC.

Beckett

Explorer
Oversize two weapon fighting from Complete Adventurer will reduce the penalty for using a non-light weapon in your off-hand.

Two weapons are not the best route for the traditional tank. You might be better served using a single weapon in two hands. You're lacking Power Attack, the bread and butter of most tanks. If you're worried about DR, the extra damage from a two-handed weapon, plue the 1.5 strength mod, plus the 2 for 1 bonus of power attack, will get a lot more damage through per hit.

And I agree with Zzyzx's definition of tank. Drop your two weapon feats for EWP: Bastard Sword, Power Attack, and maybe Shield Specialization from PHB2, and be ready to shrug off that shield for extra damage. Or just stick with large greatswords and grab armor optimizatoin for a little extra defense.

Remove ads