• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TURTLEDOME!: Battle Bone (DM: KenHood, Judge: Lord S.)

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ken]yeah...aside from that... I want Hadarai to adventure with Tonk. Aside from the sheer fun coming from the character, they would be SUCH an uber-damage couple...[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Ata]Yeah. That would be a sweet deal. He can do tons of damage with his basic strikes.

I wish *somebody* was DM-ing a game.[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
[sblock=money]
I'd say it's simple. Drivan and Finnian got the wand and the sword. The rest of us divide the 1000 gp.
Finnian is borrowing the sword for the fight. He doesn't get to keep it.[/sblock]

[sblock=Ken Hood]
Yep. One thing you need to understand: In 4E, an ability score less than 16 is sub-optimal.
Yeah. I didn't know what I was doing when I started. I need to pick one or the other, but I'm torn. I like the idea of Finnian as this rough and tumble country boy that grew up getting in fights all his life as the only bastard half-elf in a small human village (melee) but the archetype of the skilled archer ranger has its appeal.

If Erlai's role is flanker, not attacker, then I'd suggest the archery route.
I think the raptor is best at flanking. A bear has enough hit points to join in melee, but it just doesn't match the story I've already imagined for Finn. I have a harder time justifying a change to this aspect of the character than the ability scores. So a raptor works great for archer, but might be useful for flanking in melee and drawing OA for the beast protector power.

YEP! Holeeee honkin' monkey-butts!
Oh, he's just misunderstood. The boy has a heart of gold. ;)

I support the overhaul. You can do like the other fellas, and have it as a side-effect of the reality bending in Swillwort's head.
I'll need to make up my mind then.

The proposal thread should be in the Living 4th Edition section.
Right. I meant to ask if I should make a discussion thread rather than hashing it out in the adventure thread.[/sblock]

[sblock=Atanatototos]Do you have an opinion on archer vs. melee?[/sblock]

[sblock=Reklaw]That array looks good.[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
One thing to keep in mind is that a Two-Blade ranger gets a class feature that you can't duplicate any other way, while an Archer ranger gets a free feat. Whoop-de-whoo. So a Beastmaster ranger with a sword is not as good with melee ranger powers as a Two-Blade ranger is, but a Beastmaster ranger with a bow is just as good with it as an Archer ranger, he just has one less feat.
[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Finnian is borrowing the sword for the fight. He doesn't get to keep it.

Really? You want to give it back? Lol!

One thing to keep in mind is that a Two-Blade ranger gets a class feature that you can't duplicate any other way, while an Archer ranger gets a free feat. Whoop-de-whoo. So a Beastmaster ranger with a sword is not as good with melee ranger powers as a Two-Blade ranger is, but a Beastmaster ranger with a bow is just as good with it as an Archer ranger, he just has one less feat.

Not really. You lose prime shot, too, and looking forward, the ability to enter the almighty battlefield archer paragon path. That hurts. Well, it is true you lose less as an archer, though.

Do you have an opinion on archer vs. melee?

Uhmm. Well, in general, I'd say they're more or less equal. In your case, since you want to keep Erlai, archery is definitely looking better. Raptors are great for archer rangers.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Weldon]
I meant to ask if I should make a discussion thread rather than hashing it out in the adventure thread.
It would be better in another thread.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ready to Move On?]Are you guys ready to go? I don't have anything else for you at this location. You can settle the cash elsewhere, then come back and enchant the items.

Also, do not forget that you can place a wager on yourselves at the TURTLEDOME! Might be a good way to make more money for the party, though you would have to forego immediate rewards.[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Not really. You lose prime shot, too, and looking forward, the ability to enter the almighty battlefield archer paragon path. That hurts. Well, it is true you lose less as an archer, though.

No you don't - all rangers get prime shot, it's just useless to them if they don't actually use ranged weapons. But a Two-Blade ranger who picks up a bow still gets the Prime Shot bonus.

I hadn't thought about paragon paths have "archer" as a prerequisite, though. In general I guess that makes a difference. Not for Finnian, who's already decided to be a Beastmaster, though.

EDIT: sorry, I was typing this while you posted. I figured you were ok with the discussion in this thread.
[/sblock]

mohalloran

First Post
[sblock='OOC']I am totally ready to move on.

These talking bits aren't my character's forte, and I've seen that I tend to write my narrative along the same lines. It seems to keep me from being *too smart* in character. :p[/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Definitely ready to move on![/sblock]
[sblock=Ata]I agree, the wand is my reward vs. my share of the 1000. That doesn't apply to the gold we will be getting from the arena battle though;) We'll see what's even at that point. Hell, we might have to make some diplomacy rolls against each other as a party to come up with a fair split;)[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads