log in or register to remove this ad

 

TUW: South Road Fair (PbP)

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: This thread is a PbP designed for starting characters, using The Untamed Wilds gaming system. Free Goggle Documents of the first two chapters of the Players' Guide, which describe an overview of the system and how to generate a character, are available for viewing. PM me or Email me for any interest, as this requires the sharing of Email adresses.

By consensus of the players, Character Records for this game are being stored as Google Documents with me having editing permission, to assist in development.

1E8C8347-09AB-485A-9E62-986619FD27FC.jpeg

South Road Fair is build upon a rivulet in the middle of the the strip of piney woods that run mostly east to west across the Southern Trade Road. It is an open array town with no wall, though it does employ roving guards, some of whom have been trained by the former South Road Seekers, a retired adventuring group. The forest is about 3 or 4 day travel, by foot, in width, north to south. Town buildings are marked by placards designating their function, because knowledge of reading and writing is scarce. The common language is Ansylin, though many residents, especially newer immigrants, speak Centrin. A small clan of Rheini and another of Spiofthests have, also, recently established residence within town, both lending skills to community development, and both recruited by the South Road Seekers. There exists no prejudice to the function of the community and all peoples are welcome to trade.

Growing up in South Road Fair is, in itself, a pretty good life. The river is cool and clear, containing many fish. The forests is serene and full of wildlife, though not all wildlife is simple game, some denizens are quite dangerous. Though trade had been interrupted between Asylim to the south and Boga City to the north, for about a year, everything seems to be back to normal, and new trade was established with the discovered Maldrog community of Bergbaulager, to the east.

With the departure of the only two active members of the Seekers, it falls to someone new to take up the mantle of solving mysteries and eliminating threats. The itch of mystery always tickles a few young adults, when reaching that age of desired independence.

One evening, at the Boar's Head Tavern where all information transpires, Giodavi, the Mayor, expresses a minor concern and asks for volunteers to look into it.

"It is an odd thing, but the level of the river seems to be rising. This is not some seasonal fluctuation. The increase has been steady enough to be noticeable. My bet is that something downstream is blocking the flow. My guess is that the obstruction is some distance due to the slowness of the rise."
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
0C0697E5-CF41-421B-BBFB-7B1562FDAEF7.jpeg
Having spent the last couple of years with the roving guards, Marqus stands to his feet. He holds his chin with the confidence of youth, sets his mug on the table, and with a grand gesture, announces. "I will look into this dilemma for you, Mayor. I do not fear to travel beyond the watchful eye of our rovers. Who will join me?"

Marqus is a tall, muscular, young man of Ansylin parentage, with an oddity of hazel colored eyes. He was born and raised right in South Road Fair. His personality is a little boisterous, like most Ansylins, but he demonstrates a kindness in his actions and a concern for the well-being of others.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

In the corner of the tavern, two youths are sharing a table, each with a mug of pine vine, laughing and joking in a carefree manner. When Giodavi makes his declaration, and Marqus speaks up, one of the youths, an albino with long, white, unkempt hair, stands up and says:

Wrenn Morningsong: "I'll go. This sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. And my buddy here wants to come too, don't you Hiroshi?"

Wrenn nudges the other youth who was sitting with him.
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: The default language for this game will be Ansylin and is assumed, unless another language is declared. Characters will be fluent in the language of their tribe and 50% proficient in Ansylin if that is not their tribe. Characters of Ansylin decent will be 50% proficient in any one fluent language of another character. Language proficiency can be improved during gameplay.

161EFD5B-6754-4487-A4D9-F4F8AC95AF13.jpeg

Giodavi claps his hands together in gesture to indicate his pleasure at the responses. "I do not know what sort of offer to make for such an endeavor, but feel free to provision from the trading post. Lyndha will see to your needs."

Marqus is known to the other two young men but perhaps not so formally. He is known about town by many of the folks, not only because he is part of the rovers but also because he is friendly and tends to speak to everyone encountered.

"Hi. I am Marqus. Good to have you along. We should head out first thing in the morning. Get a fresh start and the day's light. We are following the river so one waterskin each should be enough. I'll get some rope, a carving knife, and a little dry rations. If one of you can shoot or throw, we can probably get game or spear fish."

Marqus is waiting outside the Boar's Head by first light, having provisioned the day before. He is carrying a pair of carving axes that were, obviously, not with him in the tavern. Carving axes are basically short-handled, broad bladed, tomahawks that are not really designed to cut wood. Marqus nods in a friendly manner and jerks his head in the direction of travel. By midday, the journey has been uneventful, and the group stops for lunch.

Marqus does not travel in a straight line. Time is not imperative. He wanders away from and back toward the river, sometimes wading into the water. It is obvious he is looking around at things. He does not appear to be looking for anything in particular, just looking.
OOC: Each character receives 3 DP. Include desired preparation and travel intentions in the next post.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn stops by his family's dwelling before setting out. He asks his father if he can borrow his bow, some arrows, his skinning knife, and a waterskin. He tells him about the task that Giodavi has set for the three boys.

Wrenn says, "We'll be back soon. We just need to figure out what's blocking the river. My money is on varmints. On the way back, I will try and bag a few hares so Mom can make a stew. Hiroshi and Marqus are coming with me."

Wrenn will also grab a small bag of dried rations from the trading post, just in case the hunting proves to be slim.

While traveling, Wrenn will look for medicinal herbs, plants, and roots along the path. He will also keep an eye out for any interesting-looking stones to add to his rock collection. And of course, he will keep an eye out for game, especially hares, turkey, and small deer.

OOC: He doesn't yet realize it, but the rocks he collects fascinate him because of their proclivities. Most of the ones in his jar at home are too small to be of use as augmentations, but the pull of their connectedness to waylines is nonetheless present. He instinctively knows how to manipulate waylines, and is already adept at doing so, but the usefulness of augmentations is still new to him.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: Posting on behalf of Hiroshi


Besides Javelins, Hiroshi will also grab one of his mother's kitchen knives, his father's dagger, and his father's waterskin. Like Wrenn, he will also grab some dried rations.

Hiroshi says, "Hey Wrenn, check this out. I can balance this dagger on my index finger! I've been practicing that for two weeks and I finally got it! And look, my finger's all scabby from where it poked me!"

Along the way, Hiroshi "entertains" (i.e., annoys) his companions by doing tricks with his dagger. Finally, Wrenn cuffs him playfully on the back of the head, and tells him to stop the nonsense and help him forage.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
When Marqus looks like he might be about to wade into the water, Wrenn nudges Hiroshi.

Wrenn suggests, "Why don't you give Marqus one of your javelins to fish with?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Marqus... wanders... sometimes wading... looking...
Wrenn... look for medicinal herbs... stones... game...
OOC: Posting on behalf of Osthelerin.

... Hiroshi... help him forage.
OOC: As active searches were indicated, it would have been good to supply some random rolls; otherwise, the mulligan default of 50 will be used.

ecology + clarity + d100
Wrenn: 16 + 13 + 50 = 79
Hiroshi: 14 + 13 + 50 = 77
Marqus: 14 + 15 + 50 = 79
The weather of the season is a little cool and damp in the mornings but warming during the day. It usually rains at night. Nothing but small game is noticed but fresh meat is always better than dry rations. The fresh meat acquired includes rodents and fish.

During the break, Marqus bluntly states, "Well, we are away from town. I can make fire. I get the feeling that you can, too. We should keep this among us."

With that, he gathers some kindling, holds some in his hand until the other end ignites, spontaneously, then makes a fire to cook.

During the random searches, some edible herbs are discovered but nothing of more note. While dabbling in the river, each man finds a piece of slate and a piece of flint. All of which seem important for some reason, but no one knows why they wish to hold onto them.
ecology + analysis + d100 => 80
all failed
OOC: Collections:
flint: 3 stones: ??
slate: 3 stones: ??

After lunch, when continuing on, Marqus calls to the others. "Look at this beetle tearing into that dead log. You ever see one that big?"

430A85B2-C67F-470F-B97A-EB5442ABF15E.jpeg
The beetle is a reddish brown color and about the size of a man's head. It appears to be eating the rotting log. It is known to each man that a couple of years back Maeli, the town herbalist, discovered that boiling the wing coverings of insects would produce a substance that could be added to leather to make it more protective and durable. It occurs to each that rather than some fist-sized bug, a beetle of this size should be more useful. After all, how dangerous could a beetle be?
OOC: State intentions and provide a random roll for a reaction and any action taken toward the insect. Each character receives 3 DP.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Reaction: 83
Heat: 78

Wrenn will try to get close enough to the beetle to lay a hand on it. He knows that his arrows would probably bounce right off the carapace, but he wonders if he could heat the creature, and boil its insides...?
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
flint: 3 stones: ??
slate: 3 stones: ??
Wrenn... heat...
Hiroshi... stab...
Feeling embolden by the forward movements of his new friends, Marqus brandishes his carving axes and moves in, as well.
readiness + speed + clarity + d100
Wrenn: 15 + 16 + 15 + 83 = 129
Hiroshi: 16 + 15 + 14 + 59 = 104
Marqus: 12 + 14 + 16 + 71 = 113
beetle: 20 + 16 + 81 = 117
Moving first, Wrenn learns that the animal only appears to be oblivious to its environment. As the other men are only half a step behind, each is bombarded by the noxious fumes emitted by the insect, as it attempts to flee.
36(effectiveness) + 86(d100) = 122
Resistance: Conditioning + Clarity + d100
Wrenn: 13 + 15 + 78 = 106
damage: 122 - 106 = 16% * 10 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed
Hiroshi: 16 + 14 + 74 = 104
damage: 122 - 104 = 18% * 10 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed
Marqus: 13 + 16 + 76 = 105
damage: 122 - 105 = 17% * 10 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed
bending + collegiate + d100
Wrenn: 16 + 15 + 78 = 109
beetle: 20(conditioning) + 86(d100) = 106
damage: 109 - 106 = 3%, ineffective
aggression + fury + d100
Marqus: 14 + 18 + 76 = 108
Hiroshi: 16 + 14 + 74 = 104
beetle: 20(defend) + 16(avoidance) + 86(d100) = 122
Despite the toxic cloud, Wrenn manages to touch the beetle as it takes to flight. Hiroshi and Marqus both miss with their weapons. The beetle flies away leaving all three men a little fuzzy in their thought process.
OOC: Each character receives 6 DP.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn says, in Shimadow: "Wow, that didn't go as planned." Switching to Ansylin for Hiroshi's benefit: "Sorry, I meant to say 'wow, that didn't go as planned.' Sometimes I revert to my native tongue when I am surprised or frustrated. In this case, both."

Wrenn pauses, and then begins to concentrate; he will attempt to manipulate waylines in order to clear his mind. He nods knowingly at both Hiroshi and Marqus, because both of them have the talent as well, and he knows they will follow suit. It is unspoken, as Marqus suggested. The fewer words that were spoken about it, the better.

Clarity (?): 98 (+86) = 184
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Once everyone has had the chance to clear their heads, Wrenn suggests that they continue on, in the interests of not wasting any more daylight.

Wrenn comments, "The bug was an interesting diversion, but we still have a job to do. Let's get moving."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Wrenn: full wellness
Hiroshi: full wellness
Marqus: full wellness
flint: 3 stones: ??
slate: 3 stones: ??


Wrenn says, in Shimadow: "Wow, (den pige opos eiche programmatistei)."..."

... manipulate waylines... mind...
Hiroshi... manipulate waylines... mind...
Once everyone has had the chance to clear their heads, Wrenn suggests that they continue on...
Rather than manipulating mystical waylines, some instinct in Marqus provokes him to manipulate chemical waylines instead. The end result is the same motivator.
bending + soothe or rearrangement + d100
Wrenn: 20 + 16 + 184 = 216
Time: 20 hours / 216 = 6 minutes
Hiroshi: 20 + 14 + 81 = 115
Time: 20 hours / 115 = 11 minutes
Marqus: 17 + 17 + 133 > 100
Instead of having to wait hours for the effects of the toxin to pass, the ability to bend waylines with regard to mental function allows Wrenn and Hiroshi to recover in a matter of minutes. As a matter of luck, since the toxin had only a mental effect, Marqus is able to render the toxin harmless and recovers in a matter of seconds.

Later, laughing about the misfortune of the insect, the three pass the time in idle chatter and casual search. Game seems to be plentiful, but nothing encountered is very large until the remains of a dead pig is discovered. The pig must have been killed by some predator some days back and abandoned after the predator had eaten its fill. Some scavenger ants seem to have located what remains and are pinching off chunks to be carried somewhere else. Ants can be dangerous. Like the previous beetle, these are rather large insects, being about the size of a person's forearm. The pattern of movement seems to keep three ants in the area at the same time.
OOC: All characters receive 3 DP and improve in Shimadow by 1%.
 



MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Wrenn: full wellness
Hiroshi: full wellness
Marqus: full wellness
flint: 3 stones: ??
slate: 3 stones: ??
Wrenn smiles, "... ants don't emit any venomous clouds... nasty bite. You guys wanna track them down? What say you?"
HIroshi nods "Sounds like a good idea to me..."
Marqus swishes his mouth back and forth and rubs his thumbs to his forefingers. "I agree about the cloud, but it is not the bite that is dangerous. It is the stinger at the back end. It contains a venom. Some of the other rovers have encountered them."

"I do not think we should follow them to their nest. There would be too many in number, at once. They seem to be spaced out enough, we could hit a few of them on the corpse, then back away
."

OOC: No decision has yet been made as to strategy. The corpse has not been approached. They party os still in discussion mode. All characters receive 3 DP.
 


Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top