• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two hander style gets the axe shaft!

kreynolds

First Post
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
Times 10?:eek:

Remember, it's not exactly times 10. You roll your weapon damage 10 times.

I gusse that is survivable

For a high level fighter or barbarian, it's nothing, at least not in one hit anyway. If you crit 8 times in one round though, well, that's a different story, and one not often to occur anyways. :D

as opposed to decapitation

Exactly.

but being able to affect non-crittable critters does bump up it's power a bit.

Not really. Keep in mind that WotC figured that instant death was a meager +5 bonus.

The save variant is the way they do it in Neverwinter Nights.

Yep. In a cRPG, that's definately the way to go, but in PnP, well, that's a whole different story, since you don't have to reload where you last saved and then go through all that crap again. :)

Thinking about it, your rendition would still be potent even at epic levels

Yup, but at really high levels, say, around 40th, it's no longer deadly, but just dangerous, which is fine.

as would the normal version.

True, but the original still has that candy-a$$ feel to it, and it's still more work for me, the DM, than it's worth. ;)

I'm going to have to rethink mine to make it worth while when your chopping at that 21st level black dragon monk.:)

That's the problem with even allowing a saving throw with Vorpal. At epic levels, it's nothing. I guess you could draft up several versions with increasingly difficult saves and modifiers attached to them, but that's still more work for me than it's worth.

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Personally I've always toyed with the idea of just making it a CDG when you get a crit. At least you get SOME sort of save against it, even if its really high.

I kinda like kreynolds version though, even if its nothing like the original.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Gromm said:
I kinda like kreynolds version though, even if its nothing like the original.

I like kreynolds version *because* it's nothing like the original.

For twenty years I've wanted to kick Lewis Carroll's ***.

novyet

First Post
Wormwood said:

I like kreynolds version *because* it's nothing like the original.

For twenty years I've wanted to kick Lewis Carroll's ***.

I like it because it really felt too cheap, oh I crit and you're dead. With kreynold's version it's still really good, but not always an instant kill.

As for the k in kreynold's name, wasn't it for kelly?

Ristamar

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: A bit more info...

Crothian said:

So, what does it stand for?

I know what it stands for. At least I'm fairly sure. IIRC, he posted it once when he copied a reply he received from the Sage....

Kae'Yoss

First Post
You could make the fort save of the vorpal weapon just like that of a coup-de-grace: You crit with the vorpal weapon, you deal crit damage (maybe with an increased multiplier, additional 2 or so) and then the enemy has to make a fort save with DC equal to the damage you dealt or he drops.

To get back to the core problem (for those who don't remember anymore, it was two-handed weapons against two weapons ;-)): I think, too, that the big weapons have the advantage. You have to see it all the way, not just high or epic levels, and there are several ranges where TWF really sucks. But that's not the only thing for TWF, dealing as much damage as possible: Fighting with two weapons is just very stylish! It's got some coolness-factor, so I would choose it over a big weapon, even if I knew that I would deal less damage.

I don't like advanced algebra applied to D&D. I don't use spread-sheets or complex formulars to determine whether if I take the extra attack from flurry of blows/rapid shot/song of fury/whatever. I also don't do minute-long calculations about how much of my AB I use with Power Attack: usually I take a number so I have round numbers.

I also don't like those feats that let you have 2x STR bonus for a two-handed weapon or full STR bonus for off-hand weapons. This can be an extreme damage bonus for just one feat. With Power Attack, your chance to hit lessens, and even Epic Weapon Specialization only confers a +4 bonus. But a raged Babarian could easily have STR 40 in some situations (with decent magical stuff and raged), and it would give him +8 damage without any disadvantage. And even for other characters about level 20, 30 is not so much, and it would confer +5, on top on everything else....

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A bit more info...

Ristamar said:

I know what it stands for. At least I'm fairly sure. IIRC, he posted it once when he copied a reply he received from the Sage....

And your information tells you it is.......

:D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Ristamar said:

Heh. Thanks to this tidbit of information, I've now managed to find it. :cool:

Stalker0

Legend
Tharkun said:
Man does that sound pretty useless..I said pretty.

So I was wondering what would be the feats to take if you wanted to be a pure fighter and only use a 2H weapon (Great Sword)?

Try a charge with true strike, full power attack, power lunge, and a scythe.

twice your strength mod, full power attack damage, and a x4 crit. now that's beautiful.

Remove ads