D&D 5E Two Subclasses from Tasha for Barbarian and Warlock

WotC has posted two previews from the upcoming Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything — the barbarian’s Path of Wild Magic and the warlock’s Genie patron. You can download them both as PDFs. https://dndcelebration2020.com/#/previews

It didn't. The version that made it through unchanged was the second version, which had major revisions from the first. So it's actually the opposite. Not that it went through without tweaks, but that the tweaks were significant enough that they had to publish a playtest a second time.

I meant from the second play test. I even said “in that version.”

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nice to see that they've released these for free, I guess. I'm probably not going to use either of these anytime soon, so it doesn't effect me.
Yeah, unlikely either will show in the games I'm running or playing in. I do like the genie pact though. I did create a walorck pact based on the shiar but I feel like this is more fun.

Undrave

Legend
I would love to see a new warlock option, beyond tome, chain and weapon (sorry about the terms, I don't have my books with me). A little more variety in that area would be nice.

Well, the Class Variant UA had the new Pact of the Talisman... it didn't impress me much (I seem to recall you could lend it to others? I forgot what it did) but it might have gotten a revision and be in the book.

Sure enough. I missed that line. Yeah it’s nice but not outrageous at all. I still am interested in this subclass...

It's nice when you're under a time crunch, but otherwise not particularly game breaking. The game already has a variant rule letting you bring short rests down to 10 minutes, so the mechanics are solid enough to handle that set up.

Undrave

Legend
I liked the warlock, I can see it have a lot of story and roleplay involved. I would think many people would take the ring over something larger that may get stolen though.

it can actually be anything beside what’s in the list...

And if it gets stolen you can do the ceremony to get a new one.

Well, the Class Variant UA had the new Pact of the Talisman... it didn't impress me much (I seem to recall you could lend it to others? I forgot what it did) but it might have gotten a revision and be in the book.
Yeah, new pact gift was a good idea, but it's actually a terribad thing for a PC, since all it's powers go to the wearer, who does not need to be the warlock.

Pact of the Talisman: When the wearer makes an ability check with a skill in which they lack proficiency, they can add a d4 to the roll.

Associated invocations, in order of level:
Rebuke otT: when hit wearer can use reaction to do minor psi damage and push away attacker
Protection otT (level 9): wearer gains +1d4 to non-proficient saves.
Bond otT (level 12): warlock can teleport to location of talisman wearer, or visa versa. This requires the talisman to be worn by someone other than the warlock.

So, apart from giving someone an initiative bonus, it's pretty garbage.

Remove ads

Remove ads