D&D 5E Two things I like about D&DNext

fletch137

Explorer
Went back to re-read some of the things listed here. The class-based stat bonuses and skill dices ARE pretty neat, and I kind of like how wild shape was implemented.

But for those of you who mentioned bounded accuracy, what is that?

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'm going to follow your example and post 2 things:

1) Old school style magic items - distributed mainly by DM decision, no expectation of being able to make/buy them willy nilly like in 3e/4e. This is one of the biggest changes in how D&D is played between 2e and 3e and not, if you ask me, for the better.

2) Stat bonus for characters partly by race, partly by class - while there will still be some races that fit certain classes better than others, selecting the class helps fit the PC to the class itself

#1 is huge for me. I thought 3E and 4E lost something because magic items were expected.

NewJeffCT

First Post
1) Quick Combat - I love how fluid, fast, and fun combat has become. Having come from a high(er) level Pathfinder game, Next is very refreshing in this regard.

2) Easy Introduction - Taught the game to multiple people who had never played D&D before and they picked it up pretty easily. Made the game fun.

Your item #1 would probably be my other top thing - fast combat. 3E and 4E combats were a real grind for me as a DM

Paraxis

Explorer
1. That you can make a mountain dwarf cleric worshiping an arcane god that takes weapon mastery as a feat. That gives me a medium armor wearing, battle axe using, cleric who can cast wizard spells and does nice damage. If you want you can spend your first two feats on disarm traps and open locks feats and fill every classic roll yourself.

2. Advantage/Disadvantage, love it but I do think they should have some things just give a +2/-2 modifier more often instead of always using this mechanic.

1of3

Explorer
But for those of you who mentioned bounded accuracy, what is that?

It's the devs term for keeping the bonuses to rolls in a narrow range. While the fighter in 3.x got +20 to attack rolls at level 20, the next fighter has +5. The reason is to make monsters viable for a larger amount of levels.

1. Everyone's a Spirit Shaman.
2. Dispel Magic.

fletch137

Explorer
It's the devs term for keeping the bonuses to rolls in a narrow range. While the fighter in 3.x got +20 to attack rolls at level 20, the next fighter has +5.

Oh, look at that. Not cooler than the different-sized elves, but still cool.

I wonder if they'd considered the old style "+2 per level" hit points at higher levels to keep hit points viable too.

Remove ads