D&D 5E Two things I like about D&DNext

fletch137

Explorer
I really haven't been interested in DDN, but finally set aside some time to read the packet and see what was up with it. So far, there are two things I actually quite like about it and will use even in other D&D-related games I run:

1) The exploration rules are brilliant. I love the decision making the players get to make and how it affects the mechanics of their exploring, plus the way it pretty much does away with the "I walk 5' and search for traps" strategy that's been haunting our 3e play.

2) Elves come in a variety of sizes, from the 5' tall Santa elf to the 6' tall LotR elf. It's such an obvious yet characterful change to the elf race that I wish I'd heard of it years ago.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm going to follow your example and post 2 things:

1) Old school style magic items - distributed mainly by DM decision, no expectation of being able to make/buy them willy nilly like in 3e/4e. This is one of the biggest changes in how D&D is played between 2e and 3e and not, if you ask me, for the better.

2) Stat bonus for characters partly by race, partly by class - while there will still be some races that fit certain classes better than others, selecting the class helps fit the PC to the class itself

Last edited:

Manabarbs

Explorer
1) I really like the way wild shape is implemented.

2) I like the way that a cleric's deity feels like it has a reasonably significant effect on things.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
1) I like Breaking A Move and how movement become more fluid.

2) I like the Exploration Rules and how its streamline.

giant.robot

Adventurer
1) I like the (dis)advantage mechanic. I think it's generally better than a +whatever situation bonus.

2) I like that movement can be done in parts without requiring special abilities.

Sigdel

First Post
1) Skill Dice. I like the added randomness and the newness-to-D&D of it.
2) Stat Caps for PC's. For PC's it's a great idea, but I am having issues seeing a tarrasque with a str of 30. Seems like the carrying load for it would be too low.

Wulfgar76

First Post
1) Bounded Accuracy - solves a thousand headaches with one simple brilliant design methodology

2) Saves for Each Ability Score - really, really hoping Charisma, Intelligence and Strength Saves show up eventually.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
1) Quick Combat - I love how fluid, fast, and fun combat has become. Having come from a high(er) level Pathfinder game, Next is very refreshing in this regard.

2) Easy Introduction - Taught the game to multiple people who had never played D&D before and they picked it up pretty easily. Made the game fun.

occam

Adventurer
1) +1 items are fantastically fun when using the magic item details tables. They've already created some of the most memorable possessions in over 30 years of playing D&D.

2) Advantage/disadvantage, because it's good enough to be mentioned by more than one person.

Remove ads