D&D 5E UA Artificer help

Lanliss

Explorer
One of my players is going to be playing an Artificer Gunsmith, and I have some questions.

1) Does anyone have an extended list of the selectable magic items? I can dig through the DMG and make my own list, but wouldn't mind having a head start.

2) Is Thunder Monger at 3rd level just an always-on + to damage? It doesn't give any sort of limitation, so I am not sure.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One of my players is going to be playing an Artificer Gunsmith, and I have some questions.

1) Does anyone have an extended list of the selectable magic items? I can dig through the DMG and make my own list, but wouldn't mind having a head start.

I think this is the full intended list from the DMG. Not saying not to expand it for your table, just that this is all the designers intended to add from the DMG. Actually, I'm rather disappointed in the list myself.

If you are going to play with it, this is the only class feature in 5e that can be given away, sold, or stolen. One thing I'd love to change is that you maintain the items magically. So that it stops working if separated from you for a period, and you can always stop maintaining it and make something else from the list. So you have more flexibility.

2) Is Thunder Monger at 3rd level just an always-on + to damage? It doesn't give any sort of limitation, so I am not sure.

It is a separate action that does more damage. So it doesn't occur if you are using another action, including the Attack action or if a spell triggered an attack.

Lanliss

Explorer
I think this is the full intended list from the DMG. Not saying not to expand it for your table, just that this is all the designers intended to add from the DMG. Actually, I'm rather disappointed in the list myself.

If you are going to play with it, this is the only class feature in 5e that can be given away, sold, or stolen. One thing I'd love to change is that you maintain the items magically. So that it stops working if separated from you for a period, and you can always stop maintaining it and make something else from the list. So you have more flexibility.

It is a separate action that does more damage. So it doesn't occur if you are using another action, including the Attack action or if a spell triggered an attack.

But am I right that it is a single attack for 2d6/p+1d6/thunder, every turn the player uses it, and it is unlimited use? It seems a bit odd, since it basically invalidates using the standard attack. Maybe if the artificer had an extra attack it would make sense, since the cost would be an extra attack, but you deal a different damage type. I understand it is playtest material, just making sure I fully understand it before I go making rulings.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
But am I right that it is a single attack for 2d6/p+1d6/thunder, every turn the player uses it, and it is unlimited use? It seems a bit odd, since it basically invalidates using the standard attack. Maybe if the artificer had an extra attack it would make sense, since the cost would be an extra attack, but you deal a different damage type. I understand it is playtest material, just making sure I fully understand it before I go making rulings.

Yeah. It's on par damage wise with rogue sneak attack. SA requires advantage or an ally, but if you have multiple attacks (such as through dual wielding, haste, or multiclassing) that gives you multiple chance to land the majority of your damage. This is just straight out one shot, hit or miss. I personally put it a touch weaker than SA in actual play, though Bless or other ways to hit more will help bring it on par.

Lanliss

Explorer
Yeah. It's on par damage wise with rogue sneak attack. SA requires advantage or an ally, but if you have multiple attacks (such as through dual wielding, haste, or multiclassing) that gives you multiple chance to land the majority of your damage. This is just straight out one shot, hit or miss. I personally put it a touch weaker than SA in actual play, though Bless or other ways to hit more will help bring it on par.

Alright, thanks for the help. My player seems happy-ish with the first set of magic items, so I have until 5th level to add some more to the list, if I feel it is needed.

Geeknamese

Explorer
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedA...arcana_artificer_v12/?st=J1FL9X5H&sh=a1f33bfd

If you or your player doesn't mind homebrew stuff, this redditer Revised the UA Artificer class which makes a lot more sense. It changes the Wondrous Invention feature to make it allow you to create a unique item that can replicate a wizard spell of a specific level and cast it once per day. So at 2nd level, you create an item that can cast a 1st level wizard spell once per day (clockwork familiar anyone?). You can also replace the item if it's destroyed for some time and a cost. This let's you flavor all sorts of cool items and as you level up, you create items that duplicate higher level Wizard spells all cast once per day.

It also moves the Mechanical Servant to the Gunsmith and replaces the loss of offense by giving the Alchemist more recipes so every 20th level Alchemist that should be experimenting with concoctions don't all coincidently discover the same list of recipes. There's also a new feature to boost concoctions.

For the Gunsmith, similar to the Alchemist, they should be tinkering and modding things all the time. It doesn't make sense that with all this experimentation, all Gunsmiths gain the same abilities with their Thunder Cannons at the same time. The other issue is that many of the new abilities gained are far below the power level of effect expected for the level that they are gained. With Modifications, it replicates the tinker part of Gunsmiths, gives them more variety to change according to circumstances, etc. I'm not sure about the scaling part of the mech servant at the later levels. I like the Gunsmith as it is in this version without the need to scale the mech. I see the mech as a fancy mount that can grant flight and not really as a battle companion.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads